1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What Bike do i Need?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Bede Nolan, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Bede Nolan

Bede Nolan New Member

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, i wasn't sure where to post, but i am a new rider and i am looking to get a road bike as my first. I'm 6 foot tall and 90kg/200lbs, i am looking at the ninja 300 or the Honda 300R so far, but ive read that they might be too small for taller riders. i wouldnt say im exactly tall but im only 18 and plan on keeping the bike for a few years and i dont want to out grow it etc. Just looking for some advise really, is a 300cc bike, particularly the ones i mentioned, going to be big enough and powerful enough for me, or should i be looking at something a bit bigger?
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You having never ridden before, I think that a 300 would be a good way to start. Bear in mind that that is more power than many people scooting around on scooters today. Also, I'm not familiar with those particular bikes but usually the reference to "Ninja" means that its a Kawasaki geared to performance and may have an aggressive seating position that could tire out your arms and wrists. I would definitely go and sit on them to insure your legs don't get cramped. Take your time sitting on them. See which seems more comfortable. The grips should allow you a somewhat forward leaning position for your upper body to counter the wind resistance and to afford better steering control. Not that your wrists are carrying a lot of your body weight, just a bit. The "sport bikes" like the bigger displacement Ninjas place the rider in an extreme lean forward that makes a person want to go faster and faster to have more wind hitting the chest to take the weight off the arms. NOT GOOD FOR A NEWBY. All this being said, take a motorcycle training course that is MSF approved (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Your first few months riding are critical to your well being.
    This is just my honest opinion and maybe some of the other people here will have other recommendations.
    badinfluence63 and Red Rider like this.
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

For a first bike i'd reccomend what I call a cheap beater. 35o honda,suzuki etc..any old used bike thats inexpensive. Learn to ride. Once you get your mojo on get a nice bike.
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I second BI and Fatboy. Get a used one cheap that the seller will let you test ride. One that won't break your budget if you drop it. Ninja/Cafe/crotch rocket bikes are made for speed, maneuverability, and............................way down the line, rider comfort. If you're looking for an urban, short run bike, they are fine, and you will likely fit even the 300's - but don't buy without a test ride. And be careful on that ride!

The thing about bikes built in the racer style is they are designed for speed and maneuverability with the race circuit's engine size limits in mind. The designers are trying to get the most out of their engines by reducing drag from that pesky rider being on it. Sure, you'll probably hear stories of long rides by a few, but half will be BS and the other half wish they rode a cruiser!

As the saying goes, they're are two kinds of riders, those that have wrecked, and those that will wreck. Be prepared, or at least ready for the consequences (I say as I recover from my last one).
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Where do you live and where will must of your riding be. All the above are good points
  6. Jayson459

Jayson459 New Member

Test Ride a Few and find the one that tells you this is the one .. Nothing wrong with going a little bigger in size if don't try to overdo with what you are comfortable with .. I started on a 1969 XLCH Ironhead Sportster in 1970 and there was no MSC Courses or even Motorcycle Endorsement back then but i learned to respect it quick without any bad episodes to report ..

69XLCH.jpg