1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What Elected officials won't do

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 19, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

So you gonna sell all your vehicles and stop driving altogether if they
    make you put in a GPS? LOL

Funny isn't it, the same government that says it's for improved fuel economy is
    suffering the loss of revenue as we stop buying gasoline due to higher prices and better fuel economy.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont think it will ever stop.....our govt. is sooooooooooooo fuc*ed up!!!!:banghead:
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey FLHT, I think that you are going to have to all of us how this goes as I read that Argon is already experimenting with this....:roflmao:

I guess they would have to have one or the other, not both. I don't like that they are proposing that certain vehicles get better or higher rates depending on what the vehicle is.

HRK, I agree with you, it is real funny that they promote better fuel economy and alternate fuels and then come up with stuff like this. We are taxed enough like it is. Lets look at the arithmetic....

My F150 gets about 20 mpg highway. I am not sure what size tank I have, but according to this article, $0.185 of the cost of gasoline is tax. So the government is making $3.70 per time that I fill up based on a 20 gallon fill up.

Now the article said that the more likely projection for cost per mile is $0.03 per mile. If I were to fill up and drive strictly highway and receive 20 mpg, that means I can drive 400 miles and it would cost me $12 for that particular trip......Right????

We all know that fuel mileage fluctuates dramatically. Engine condition, driving habbits, city driving vs. highway, climate conditions etc. I know in Minnesota people use more fuel while driving less during the winter months so this means more fill ups at the pump..........

Based on the estimated average mileage that Americans drive per year, which is about 25k. Based on the 3 cent surcharge, this would cost me, if I were to drive 25k per year $750.
  5. JohnnyBiker

So lets take 25k and divide that by the optimum fuel mileage that my truck is rated at in top condition which is 400 miles per tank of gas and multiply that by 18.5 cents per gallon of tax. This is the equation......25,000/400*18.5=1156.25 which is a difference of $406.25 per year less in tax revenue for me if they went with the mileage tax.....:wtf:

Of course I am not taking into account multiple vehicles....do you really think that people would stand for this??? I would start screaming for more public transit......Friggen Government!!!!!!!:banghead::rant::wtf:
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well if they do that, then most people will stop going on vacation and stop driving. So less taxes made per gallon and no tax from driving hmmm wonder what tax they will think of next. Lets see, a parking fee for your own driveway. :rolleyes:
  7. JohnnyBiker

Exactly, they also are not thinking of leisure items like motorcycles, boats, race cars, snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles etc.....Bunch of Morons!!!!!!!:witsend:
  8. FLHTbiker

Those are the elected officials that we all need to vote out of office.
  9. JohnnyBiker

It would be a pain in the ash for those that drive in excess of 25k per year that is for sure....but in reality for me the mileage tax would be a greater benefit to me because I only average about 15k year......based of 15k per year it would only cost me 450 bucks for the year and that is figuring on a 3 cent mileage tax....

My wife and I bought an 03 WindStar with just over 40k on it and there is about 87k on it now. We bought it in 05. So we have put only roughly 46k on it which gives us an average of 8k per year which then based on the 3 cent mileage tax, it would cost me $40 per year in tax to drive.....hey I like that.....:D
  10. hotroadking

well JB for one thing if you think the per gallon tax will go away with the addition of the
    per mile tax I've got some oceanfront property in AZ you can buy.... LOL

Also once this data is collected they will use it for other means, insurance companies will demand that to get the reduced rates you will have to authorize it's release to confirm the amount of miles you drive per day to justify the risk class you are insured in for that vehicle.

Legal implications are that you could potentially be tracked for your movements throughout the city, and it doesn't matter if you are doing something right or wrong, so don't toss out the "don't do something wrong and you have nothing to fear" argument unless you like living in Russia, this is the USA we presume our people to be free to move about without oversight or tracking.

So there is the privacy issue of your right to move freely which will come up,

back to taxes, you'll pay both taxes as the feds are short of money to fix the roads.

In some aspects it's fair, I drive 4 miles a day to work and home but I get 12 MPG
    my neighbor gets 50 in his TDI but he drives 200 miles on sales calls, if we both use the same fuel a week he's getting a deal on road use per tax dollar paid.

So those people that commute and drive a lot pay more.
  11. FLHTbiker

So do you really think that they would get rid of the gas tax, common JB you know they will want both. Just like here in Oregon they keep trying to put a ballot in to have a sales tax. So far the voters here are smart because the government here will not get rid of the tax income tax. No, they want both. :cussing::fight:
  12. hotroadking

He's young FL, we have to edjamukate him on the ways of gobberment orificel's
  13. JohnnyBiker

I in no way said that.....I said that I want one or the other....:rolleyes: I am just doing a comparison to how stupid the g-men are based on one or the other...:banghead: Not both.....

I think that this is a stupid idea either way.....

HRK, I didn't even mention the GPS aspect of this and I in no way am in favor of it...I agree that they would piss this money away in other ways...It's like what FLHT said.....time to get rid of the people that are in office:cool:
  14. FLHTbiker

Also, if you think mass transit would have to pay the mileage tax, think again. So all those city dwellers and transit riders won't have to pay the mileage tax. We need to zero in on those so called law makers who try and put stupid laws into place like that and vote em out.
  15. hotroadking

Fact is we have a lot of concrete and asphalt that needs to be maintained
    bridges etc so the money needs to come from somewhere.

If you raise mile tax and fuel tax watch the price of all your goods
    go through the roof as transport costs rise, you pay more there,

In the end you pay all the taxes on all the goods

So a miles tax isn't going to be your miles only.. Everything you buy
    will have a miles tax added into the cost...
  16. JohnnyBiker

Exactly.......:banghead: I didn't address residual costs, just a comparison to what the article stated with the given numbers......Is that a bad thing????:gah:
  17. FLHTbiker

Here is another thing, have you ever heard of any city, state of even at the federal level where they are satisfied with the amount of tax coming in. The whole problem is they are all spending to much. In a business when you only have so much coming in you simply cannot keep spending above that. They need to cut back so that there expenditures are less than their income. Get their dept paid down or off and become the strong world leader they used to be. But, first they got to get rid of the biggest joke this country has ever experienced. OB!:rant:

But then the end of the world is supposed to come on 5/21/11 at 6 PM:rolleyes:
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

:puke:Oyyyy! Brain hurts now!
  19. hotroadking

Yeah, rapture, Sat...

Expenditures are the problem, because money destined for roads ends up funding some fruitcake from University of MN doing a trip to Russia on bear's mating habits for $400,000 and they take money from these pools of input of cash.

Add on top the additional other taxes....

Makes the Fair Tax all the more... Fair...
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

all they are doing is penalizing the american people trying to live the american dream, take as many rights away from us as they can, then turn us into a true communistic life style......