1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What exhaust to pick

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by billym64, Jan 24, 2008.

1. billym64

billym64 New Member

hey guys!! i hope this question hasnt been asked too often, but , anybody out there have the vance and hines big radius pipes on there fuel injected dynas?? i really love the looks of this particular pipe and i do want it LOUD. is this the one for me??
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i have long shots, there're loud even with the buffles. they'll bog down your performance some
  3. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I HAVE THEM ON 04 CARB. DYNA, BUDDY OF MINE RUNS THEM ON 06 INJECTED DYNA WIDE GLIDE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, THEY ARE NOT THAT LOUD WITH STOCK BAFFELS, BECAUSE THEY TURN DOWN TOWARD GROUND, TO MAKE THEM LOUD ORDER THUNDER MONSTER BAFFELS FROM BIG CITY THUNDER.COM, THEY SOUND GREAT AND HELPS IN HP AND TORQUE, V&H HAVE JUST CAME OUT WITH BIG RADUIS FOR THE TOURING BIKES, I AM GOING TO ORDER THEM FOR MY RK SCREAMIN EAGLE, THATS HOW MUCH I LIKE THE BIG RADIUS PIPES.

DKIN21

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD:rocket_bike:
  4. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I got the Vance&Hines Big shot duels chrome along with the V&H Fuel pack.They sound great.look great and run good. The new ones now are black Diamond finish. Not sure If how the black will look. The baffels are removable on mine and its pretty loud with the baffles in.

You can buy quieter ones or louder baffles for the Long shots too. I called V&H after I got my Fuel pack because the supplied map numbers that came with my fuel pack was not for HD screaming eagle Stage 1 kit I had already installed on my bike. I told them I had HD screaming eagle stage 1 kit and they e-mailed my numbers for my set up to in-put my map in the fuel pack. Nice to deal with and e-mailed my numbers in addition to the sheets that comes with Fuel pack in Minutes!!They offered more assistance if I needed it. Easy to input and install.The fuel pack was up and running in 5 minutes!!:D

Good Luck,Ride Safe,Ride Often.
  5. billym64

billym64 New Member

baffels

thanks for this info! gonnna go on big city right now! ill let you know what i decide. thanks again:D
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

tip

watch them muffler clamps. v/h aren't the best. you may want to think about retaining the HD ones. i have yet to find better than HD:devil:
  7. billym64

billym64 New Member

i will thanks skull!!
  8. billym64

billym64 New Member

thunder monster baffels

hey dkin21, do you or your buddy have the thunder monster baffels in your big radius pipes? if so did you have your h/p and torque numbers before and after to see what the differance was? all i know is i ordered some today. even if it makes the pipe louder, ill be happy (even though a little git-up and go wont hurt any!!!) thanks, bill
  9. detailer57

detailer57 New Member

Before you get the V&H, check them out on a bike is "real life"
    They look really kool in the pics, but I saw them on a Dyna and decided against them. A little to bulky for my taste.

I went with the thunder header 2-1. Much louder and a really differant tone.
    The power band is all changed, but I love it.

I have an 07 FXD with SERT, air cleaner and the thunder header.

I had screamin eagle 2-2, they were good. These are that much better.

Appearance is subjective. HP increase is real. I prefer the thunder header.
  10. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

vibration on thunders/dyna

it has been a while since I was looking,but thunders do sound good,however I have read several times and been told by those that have them, the thunders pick up a vibration while riding (around 60- 65)due to the difference in the "unbalance" of the pipe to the rubber mounted dyna(wideglide).there is a heavier-duty engine rubbermount to use,that was their reccommendation then when I contacted them. I decide against it. :cool:
  11. detailer57

detailer57 New Member

I really did not notice any more vibrations, unless I am lugging the engine. Then it is more pronouced then with the screamin eagles.

However the power is well worth it.
  12. billym64

billym64 New Member

baffels

hi detailer57!! do you have the monster baffels?? bill
  13. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

YES, CAN'T PUT MY HANDS ON RESULTS AT THIS MOMENT BUT I WILL LOOK SOME MORE AND LET YOU KNOW, BUT THEY DID BRING UP HP/TORQUE TO 6 AND 8, I THINK, AFTER WE PUT THEM IN MY BUDDIES WG AND HE TEST RODE, WHEN HE CAME BACK HIS EYES WHERE WIDE OPEN AND ALL HE SAID WAS HOLY S#!T WHAT A DIFFERENCE. LET ME KNOW HOW U LIKE THEM.

DKIN
  14. vcj5864

vcj5864 New Member

Tuning for "Thunder Header"

I purchased a 2001 Road King Police which already had the Thunder Header exhaust installed. The bike has great power but, seems to run rich under load (esp. with my 130 lb. lady on the back). Everyone refuses to ride behind me esp. in the hills. I suspect it was never re-mapped. Any suggestions as far as mapping or adding/replacing items such as tuner or ignition, etc.?
  15. billym64

billym64 New Member

hey voodoo1! this talk of vibration-i have the 2006 dyna lowrider 88" fxdli. im assuming if the wideglide has some vibration, i will too huh?! is it supposedly just in that particular range of speed? 60-65 ? THANKS MAN, bill:D
  16. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

the air flow in makes power

People that change everything at once seem to think it is the pipes making more power; if
    you are doing the stage one at the same time that is what is making more power for ya. the pipes alone don't do it, ya get louder but you are letting more air and fuel in with the cleaner set up. I know guys that run the straight stock pipes but change the air cleaner and you will notice a difference. Maybe do that first, notice the "power" difference then look around for your pipes. Heck punch a hole in the stock baffles and here what they sound like.( my buddy did that on the dyna low rider and the dang thing sounds great!! deep rumble and plenty of power. sure the better the exhaust flow great but ya need back pressure in the pipes to help create your torque. HD is a torque motor and to much free flowing (drags) give ya a power powerband in a higher RPM. :cool: Something that HDs are NOT "best at".
  17. vcj5864

vcj5864 New Member

Thunder Header

I love my Thunder Header. Sounds great and can be quiet or get on it and make a lot of noise! Just need to get it tuned right so I don't choke the guy(s) behind me! I personally have never noticed any undesirable "vibrations". Annoying decel pop but, hoping the right tuner will fix that. Put about 14k on this summer with no other complaints except keeping clamps tight to avoid exhaust "tic".
  18. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

the air flow in makes power

People that change everything at once seem to think it is the pipes making more power; if
    you are doing the stage one at the same time that is what is making more power for ya. the pipes alone don't do it, ya get louder but you are letting more air and fuel in with the cleaner set up. I know guys that run the straight stock pipes but change the air cleaner and you will notice a difference. Maybe do that first, notice the "power" difference then look around for your pipes. Heck punch a hole in the stock baffles and here what they sound like.( my buddy did that on the dyna low rider and the dang thing sounds great!! deep rumble and plenty of power. sure the better the exhaust flow great but ya need back pressure in the pipes to help create your torque. HD is a torque motor and to much free flowing (drags) give ya a power powerband in a higher RPM. Something that HDs are NOT "best at".
  19. detailer57

detailer57 New Member

I did my stage one 25K ago. I had screamin eagle 2-2.
    I have the SERT, free flowing air filter.
    I removed the 2-2 and put on the thunder header. It revs faster, and really has more bottom end. It did make a difference.
  20. billym64

billym64 New Member

dkin21- yea if you could come across any other info that would be great!. my bike is in storage, unfortunatley you cant ride much in western n.y. in the winter!! so maybe in march ill be able to get it home, i will let you know the outcome! i cant wait! thanks bill :D