1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What Have You Done?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 29, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

In the heat of the summer, would you wear full leathers on a trip? I am thinking that I may want to do this just for the added protection. Curious as to what you all have to say. Thanks.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I never even thought of it , t shirt jeans boots , a light weight long sleeve light color shirt to keep from burning my arms
  3. JohnnyBiker

The reason why I am asking is because I say a couple on a bike the other day and they were leathered up completely and that got me to thinking if I should do the same. It did at one point cross my mind to do so then I just said that I would store it in the saddlebags, but what good are they going to do me in there?
  4. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

We tend to think, it will never happen to me,IAM not going down. Then when you least expect it ,we'll you know how did those leathers work in your bags? We all roll the dice but think for a minute,6 hrs. Of Haveing gravel pulled out of your body,that's if your lucky. There's good armor out there,lite wight breathable with good protection .thats it,ride safe.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Chaps, leather shirt over a t-shirt & light weight cloves, when I get hot I just bundge them to the top or back of the luggage. It takes a couple of hours to warm up in the mornings so leather is nice for warmth in the mornings. In the afternoons it helps ward off wind fatigue. Once you get through the mountains and into Utah & Nevada it may be hard to keep leathers on all day. JMO
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I always think it's not IF it's WHEN. I wear gloves and a armored mesh jacket in hot weather When it's very hot I went my t shirt and make like an evaporative cooler.
  7. JohnnyBiker

I am with you on this as well. With this trip I want to be as careful as I possibly can. And a great point, what good are they in my bags? :gah: Thanks Maddog!:cool:

I keep forgetting that I have a cargo net now to where I can just strap it on to the luggage. Great point. Thanks.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Because it's hot as crap out I got one of the HD sport jackets that has the body armor in the elbow and arms, it's lightweight and perforated so it allows the air through so you won't get over heated, best alternative to full leathers.

gloves at least the fingerless are a plus, you will want full finger gloves it can get cold
    even in the summer at high altitudes in CO etc...

ATGATT is the motto of many riders, especially de bemmerroids...
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Same here. And I've started carrying a small tube of sunscreen in my saddlebag.
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You have to make your own choice here. Some folks like the feel of full leathers, and even enjoy the ceremony of getting all their armor on - like a knight dressing for a joust. For me, I like long pants and no sleeves - I hate the way sleeves flap at high speeds. Chaps are good on hot days, because you can always wear shorts under them for the stops. I like my heavy leather vest, too, because it reduces t-shirt flap and takes on the big bugs and tire-tossed rocks really well.

When riding two-up, I have no problem encouraging my passenger to dress like Robocop - even if it means armor-upping myself to meet the "I will if you will" proviso. That is why couples are often dressed alike. When you take on a passenger, you take on the responsibility for that helpless person behind ya. There is a flipside, too - if my rider won't up-armor, I usually don't.
    :cheers:
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yep, I do think that Hot Rider will be one that "won't" armor up. I do not agree with this decision but I understand in a way. This will be the way it is until we leave but when she sees that I am wearing mine, she will eventually follow suit. I agree, it is my responsibility of my passenger, somehow though, she just doesn't seem to think along them lines all the time. :rolleyes:
  12. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Not us...Vests, t shirts, fingerless gloves, boots, jeans and a helmet...
  13. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Kind of depends on the ride. If riding mtn roads close, jeans, boots, tee shirt long or short sleeve, leather vest, and light wt gloves. Agree with Red, vest stops shirt flap...almost never without even when hot. If traveling, add chaps most of the time and have jacket easy to get to. Found I like lighter weight jackets, layer up in cold weather and more comfortable when warmer.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Yeah, I just think that this one is going to be trial and error like most things. I want protection as I am going to be in completely new surroundings. chaps are coming with that is a given, helmet, gloves, boots, haven't really thought about my vest. That is a good idea that is for sure. Thanks MC. :cool:
  15. hotroadking

Just don't dress like this...

[​IMG]
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

In hot weather I always take my leather vest, never leave home without it. I usually don't carry a heavy leather jacket however mornings can be cool so do bring my Harley light jacket and can always throw a sweatshirt on if I have to. But, I do bring along one of those long sleeve air vented jackets and a rain coat. Yep, chaps are a must. Your first long trip will tell yea what you need and don't. Them gas cans will take up valuable storage space but you gotta be comfortable knowing yea got them and probably the next trip you'll leave at least one at home. We always packed that the left saddle bag was hers and the right was mine. You'll find that some of the stuff she buys will creep into yours.
  17. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That has got to be a set up, right? The Walmartian of the bike world :roflmao:.
  18. hotroadking

Ya got rain suits weather changes fast...

Ya gotta look closer JoshBob
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea gotta look at his right hip :roflmao:
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I saw it right away. Could be HRK!?:eek: