1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What kind of plastic is windshield

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by softtail, Apr 20, 2008.

1. softtail

softtail New Member

Greetings All,

Been a while since I was here but I have a question. I have a '96 FLSTC. The windshield has seen some rough winter miles and the coating seems to be peeling off in several spots. I have tried to clean and polish it by hand without removing any more of the coating. Does anyone know what type of plastic is used for the windshield? Is this coating a natural finish or is it applied after manufacture? I really don't want to buy a new shield at this time but the peeling is annoying at some times of the day while riding.

I can do more polishing to remove the rest of the coating but what should I put on it for protection afterwards? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Softtail:confused:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your windshield is of the older style, and is laminated. the newer ones are not. your lamination will keep peeling, a never ending battle. i would replace it. there are numerous places on the net that sell the newer, better windshields....for a lot less than the stealer.....eglidegoodies comes to mind, but there are others............have fun!!..........................:)
  3. softtail

softtail New Member

Thanks Chuck.

I was not aware of that laminated style of windshield. It is starting to show it's age for sure. Thanks for the heads up, I will look for them.

Ride Safe

Softtail ;)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

memphis shade has A good wind shield , I put one on my E Glide & about $40 cheeper then HD :cool: