1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What PSI

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by manyanna51, Apr 7, 2007.

1. manyanna51

manyanna51 New Member

I just picked up a 07 StreetGlide and in the most love it. I cant get the rear end to soak up the bumps in the goat tracks they call roads where I live, I,m 105 kgms the wife is about 60 kgs. I started on 10 lbs and have taken them to 40lbs and I still occasionally hit bottom, what do suggest. Are the HD shockies up to the job or is a swap worth it, thanks manyanna
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

So, for those of us blokes that are running on POUNDS..... 105 KG is 231 pounds...... 60 KG is 132 pounds. Thank GOD you guys run PSI and not BAR!!! Not so sure how to convert that!!!

As to answer the question..... I don't have any idea....but I know that if you give it a bit of time (with it being a holiday weekend here and all...) that SOMEBODY will chime in with some good info for you!! Good luck and enjoy the goat tracks!!!:roflmao: :rocket_bike:
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The owners manual should have a chart in it , I 'am about 180 lbs & the wife is about the same , & with a bunch of stuff in the trunk & bags & run about 45 lb's & it seem's to hold & handle real good hope this helps
    :cool:
  4. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I HAVE A 07 ROAD KING SCREAMIN EAGLE, I WEIGH 200LBS MY WIFE IS ABOUT 160 LBS, I HAVE BEEN UP AND DOWN THE SCALE BUT HAVE SETTLED IN AT 17 LBS. SEEMS TO RIDE AND HANDLE GOOD AT THIS SETTING. IF THE BIKE IS NEW I THINK IT NEEDS SOME TIME FOR THE NEW SHOCKS TO LOOSEN UP AS WELL. I AM RUNNING WHAT THE FACTORY RECOMMENDS ON TIRE PRESSURE AS WELL.

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD:rocket_bike:
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I agree the shooks on my streetglide seemed the same way and after about 500 mi I had to increase the psi, built an electric pump to mount in my bag for on the fly adjustments just haven't had time to install it. by the way enjoy your glide, love mine
  6. manyanna51

manyanna51 New Member

Hello Ironhorse, I did about 1000klms (600miles) over the easter break and so far I havnt noticed any change in the shocks, still running around 40psi. But I do love it. In Australia we get the exhaust that swaps from using 2 mufflers to 1 depending on your revs, Europen system apparently, pain in the arse. Supertrapp 2to1 will not be available for another 2 months, there is only a handfull of pipes available for the 07s. I think the wait will be worth it.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

gvwr @ 1259 minus bike wgt @ 745 minus passanger cmbined wgt 360 leaves your glide with 154 lbs left to max.

solo rider 91+ kg psi =5-10
    rider with passanger 0-68kg psi = 20-30
    68+kg psi = 25-35
    max gvwr 40-50 psi

on flhrs and flhx do not exceed 50 psi
    on all other models do not exceed35 psi

by the way I add a lb or two extra before I take the pump off cause your gona loose a little when you disengage your pump, hope this helps a little
  8. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Hey Mannyanna,

Is that the truck you drive in your avatar? Are those all trailers behind it?!!! If so, hope you don't ever have to back up and turn around!!!!:roflmao:
  9. manyanna51

manyanna51 New Member

Bikerjim, Thats the truck I was driving and may go back to, having a break now.Yeah backing up is hard, all you can do is pull forward untill its straight and reverse until you loose it and start again, mainly you dont go where you cant drive thru. or split the trailers and pull them 1 by 1. Same deal on big hills if you have to stop, the clutch would explode if you try and pull away loaded, so if it stops you have to drop a trailer or 2, and they are not quick hitch fittings.
  10. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Hey Manyanna, I Drive A Truck Here In The States, 1 53 Ft Wagon Gross Weight 80,000 Lbs, Can't Imanage Pulling Something Like That Around. What Is The Gross Weight And Length? And We Call Ours Big Trucks Or Large Cars!! Ha! Ha! (or Chicken Trucks) If They Are Fast
  11. manyanna51

manyanna51 New Member

DKIN21
    That one in the photo has 4 trailers, total length is 53 meters or nearly 170ft it weighs in 60ton empty and carries 110 ton of minerals adding up to 170 ton.
    In Aust. we dont have trailers as long as yours, no 53 ft trailers, most are around 47ft or a B-double which is like 1 3/4 trailers. I drove for Calark last year and it took a lot of getting used to.
  12. manyanna51

manyanna51 New Member

Found the problem with my suspension. My bike was only assembled the day before Good Friday, and I think they were thinking about the holiday, the air line which passes under the seat was crushed so I was riding a monoshock.Fixed the problem, now to play with PSI all over again. Thanks to all who responded.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

also remember the street glide is lowered over a normal FLH model, so you have less movement to begin with,

If you want to go to aftermarket shocks there are several companies out there but nothing is cheap!

Progressive Suspension makes good shocks, air replacement and non air replacement, different heights and different spring packages to accomodate larger or smaller people (loads.)

Progressive Suspension