1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What rear shocks for 04 Sporty

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Apr 2, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hi

After a recent trip with pillion and baggage, I realise that I need up rated rear shocks. These current ones keep bottoming out

Something with easy adjust 'dial in ' tool free adjustment would be good. No need for a lower ride height, standard height is fine.

This is why...
    P1080138.jpg

P1080146.jpg

Any one got any suggestions?...apart from a bigger bike or don't take so much ;)
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Yes, they are on stiffest setting, and they are a new set. The chrome had flaked off the old ones

I had seen that shop site that you posted, and have e-mailed them this morning, so will probably have to wait for a response after the weekend.

just wondering if anyone else had any ideas

Cheers
  4. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Progressive is far & away the most popular replacement & there are several different options available, including the most commonly used 412's (which I have) & the (much more expensive) 418's which many prefer over anything. The heavy duty version is for people who weigh over 200 lbs. and/or carry a passenger often & Progressive recommends you call before you buy so they can recommend the best set for your particular situation. Other brands include Ohlins, which are popular with European riders.

The downside of better shocks in the rear is that how bad the front end is will become glaringly apparent & you'll want to change the fork springs too, so I'd recommend doing both ends @ the same time. I've got Progressive springs for the front end too & they're much less expensive than the shocks. They virtually eliminate "nosedive" under braking & with the right weight fork oil (can vary) you can get the front / rear balance ideal. Some prefer the constant-rate RaceTech springs & there are "cartridge emulators" which you can add.

The stock suspension is awful in comparison to the aftermarket setups available & I know more than one Sportster owner who changed the suspension before anything else, like exhaust, seat, etc. And when I bought the '00 bike, my '95 already had Progressive on both ends, so I could do back-to-back comparisons between stock & Progressive - day & night difference !!
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks

Well I need to do the front end anyway, as I seem to have a problem with one of the fork tubes anyway, even after rep[lacing the seal, it is still leaking..although can't see any pitting or scoring in the area.

Will be waiting on the e-mail from the company I e-mailed and see what happens