1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What seat do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by MarcM, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MarcM

MarcM New Member

I am looking to put a new seat on my Low Rider and was looking for people's experiences with their aftermarket seats. I am looking at solo seats, possibly a Mustang gel seat. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am 6 feet tall and 235 lbs, if that matters....
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  2. CD

CD Guest

First, what are you looking for in a seat? Style? Comfort? One up or Two up?

If you go to www.mustangseats.com and look under the Dyna (or FXR if it is an FXR) you will see all the styles. Generally, a bucket type seat is better for the long days.

BTW, Mustang does not make a gel seat.

Note the part number of the seat and add MD to the front of it to find it in our store if you want.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the Corbin Seats better than the Mustangs, I think they are made to fit the bikes lines better and I prefer the harder foam that doesn't compress.

Seat retains its shape better.

Gel isn't all it's cracked up to be (no pun intended LOL)

www.corbin.com Imagine CD can get cobin seats as well here at direct parts.
  4. CD

CD Guest

We do sell Corbin seats.... Strange how what is good for one rider is not for another isn't it? I like the Corbin designs and styles but find them uncomfortable on long rides. A Mustang seat just never seems to bottom out and that extra firm foam makes a long day go by pretty quick.

I have also used LePera but Mustang always seems to be my choice. Strange thing is, everyone here also uses Mustang seats and they can get any brand at cost.

A close friend and customizer will only use Corbin products on his builds.
  5. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Thanks for your replies CD and Hotroadking. I am looking for a solo seat, not really into the studded or concho look. I am a plain guy looking for a comfortable seat with good back support. Gel is not a must, just heard that it might be worth looking into.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah CD I agree I have a couple of friends that had mustangs, take my rk with the Dual Tour model and they switched, I think the cut of the corbin on the rk is good because it lets your legs drop in a bit so you have more reach.

I like the hard seats and long runs haven't been a issue, but for some it is, I know several with mustangs that love them, either would be a great buy.

Corbin makes solos without conchos tidbits of chrome, etc, they will custom make one for you if you like with flames stiched, different color piping or just plain ol' black.

The thing you might want to do is get to try one out see if someone has one you can sit on.

Also my corbin sits me back further than the stock seat being 6,3 and well lets just say I weight a lot more than 235 LOL at least until xmas is over.

The seat gives me more leg room. You would want the classic solo not the close solo, and you can get a backrest to slip into the classic for longer rides makes a big difference.

http://www.corbin.com/harley/dyna/ shows the seats, I didn't know if you had a 04 or earlier model.

You can get whatever you want on the seat and the mustangs are every bit as good a quality seat, the big difference is in how they feel.
  7. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Thanks Hotroadking. I guess I will just have to find the seats I am interested in and do a "butt test." Thanks for your advice. Oh, my bike is an '05.
  8. godot

godot New Member

I have had a Mustang seat for over 3 years on my '99 Fat Boy and I love it. Very comfortable in long rides and it still looks new.
  9. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Recommended seat...

I changed my stock softtail seat for a Mustang wide solo with backrest. I also added the recessed rear seat for the old lady. We are both in heaven now. I feel like I am sitting on something now, not straddling it... much more comfortable than stock. My butt started going numb after about 45 minutes on the stock seat... haven't found the limit yet on the Mustang. I have friends that swear by Corbin too but I haven't been on one myself yet.
  10. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I just put on a BAR Enterprises solo seat and am very happy with it.
  11. larry

larry New Member

seat

I am glad that I got to get back to this bike talk. My wife and I have been trying to decide on what kind of seat to get this year for my 2004 FXD. CD gave me the answer that I have heard from others that I have spoke with. Now we plan on a new Mustang seat for touring. We hope to get to the Americade in N.Y again this year. Also we are planning to go to bike week in PA. I will try to let everyone know just how good our seat is. I am just waiting for our income tax to come so that I can order one here.
    Thank You
    Larry
  12. Seahag

Seahag New Member

A friend of mine had a Corbin seat on his custom V-star 1100...I've had Mustang touring saddle for three years (bought here too at a good price :cool: ) ...anyway, my buddy and I switched off a few times and there was no comparison...for us the mustang seat was much better. That same friend, upgraded to a roadglide last year; and one of his first purchases was a mustang touring seat like mine. :D 600 mile days to and from the black hills were no sweat for either of us. :D
  13. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Seat

I know you're not supposed to post competetor's web sites, but seats are one of those things that you can spend a fortune on and still not be happy. I met this guy once, while riding, that owns his own upholstery shop. One of his specialties is customizing bike seats. He does excellent work and I would almost guarantee another hour out of your seat, he actually claims two hours. The prices are better than an off the shelf, high end seat and they are made to fit YOU. I'm going in for my seconf one. With CD's permission I will plug his site............. Give him a call, you will be very happy. :D
  14. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

Seat problems solved

I ate and gained 20 pounds and now my butt doesn't get ass sore on rides.

This is not a healthy choice for ride comfort!
  15. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Seats

I have a Corbin on my Road King and a Mustang on my Roadglide. They are both very good seats and it would be hard to say which is the best. Both are deep pocket touring seats with the roadglide being a solo with back rest. I would not hesitate to take either for a 500+ mile day trip. The Corbin is harder but fits the best and the mustang softness lets me get comfortable the quickest. :rolleyes: I'd say you would be able to spend your money and be totally happy either way.
  16. MarcM

MarcM New Member

This is the seat I went with. It is from BAR Enterprises and they have been in business since 1970. I am very pleased with its quality make and comfort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. RoadKing

RoadKing New Member

Corbin vs. Mustang

I realize this is in response to an old post but I find myself in the decision process between Mustang and Corbin. I purchased a Mustang tour seat for my 05 RK about 2 months ago. I am not unhappy with the comfort but the seat has raised me up at least 1/2" over the stock seat. My windshield now comes to my mouth area and I feel like I am sitting above the bike. Bottom line, I don't like the seating position. The Corbin appears to sit much lower...even lower than the stock. Can anyone confirm this?

Mark