1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What tire's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

what tires do you run & why?
    I run the metlizer on my 03 E Glide the HD dunlop never seem to hold in the rain & only got about 6k on the rear , one of my son's has a 99 E glide & has the same problum ,
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i run dunlop's and get around 10,000-12'000 mis.on the rear. i use them because thats what came on the bike. thinking about changing brands. i'll be watching this tread to see what others are running:confused:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Avon Venom X, good in dry and wet, great handling, although mileage suffers from the flicking of my wrist to quick to often LOL
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I hear the Avons are pretty good. I run Dunlops on my 02 Heritage. I get 10-12K on the rear and 20-25K on the front. My brother has a 92 EG Sport. He put Metzlers on at the last change. He's goin back to the Dunlops, said for the extra money he paid for the Metzlers he couldn't see a difference in handling or wear. Of course he has the same affliction with his wrist that Hotroadking has.:D
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I run factory dunlop....got 20k out of the front, and have mixed amounts on the back.....1st was 12k (ish) second was 7500-8k...course, had a HUGE framing nail in it..... 3rd one now has 7k ish on it and still looks pretty good. Would not mind trying something else, BUT would need to do both at the same time.....and I have yet to have both tires need changing at the same time (and I am too cheap to suck up the cost just because!)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

7. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

I run the metz on the front 25000+ everytime on the rear I've run the original dunlop got 7500 switched to metz always get about 12000 the last tire I ran was a michelin comander got about 16500 out of it but it was about 50 bucks more than the metz before I bought it I called cyclegear about the metz they said they had 2 in stock but when I got there an hour later they said they made a mistake and offered me the michelin for a hundred bucks so I said yes so they put the tire on but didn't have enough air pressure to get it to bead up so I took it to a tire shop down the street and they got it to bead up I went back and cyclegear balanced it free and didn't charge for the mount either pita but turned out to be a great deal now I'm back to the metz
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I run the Metzlers only because it was either that or the Avon in the 240 size, and I had heard that the Metz was better. They're nice, handle good in the wet, not that I ride alot in the rain, but when I did it handled fine. I am limited in choices due to size.
  9. AFNurse

when I was at sturgis, I think it was Michilin(not 100%, but DO know they were one of the big name brands...) that had a tent up.....HD had officially approved them as an alternative tire for the Dunlop....there were NO numbers (miles) data available, but the tires looked good.....The rep said that since they were now approved by HD, they would be availble to the HD SHOPS for purchase...price didn't look much different from the Dunlop either..... Anybody with any feedback on THESE would be GOLDEN!!!
  10. AFNurse

I have heard that 200+ tires don't run as well in the twisties, and I saw one guy riding in Custer Park that had 200+ AND a stretched front end.....LOTS of room in front of him (no traffic) and JAMMMED up behind him...based on this, I would say that wide tires and stretched front end look good but leave handleing to be desired.... that along with the limited options would be enuf for me...(plus the fact that I run a bagger..... maybe a bit wider, but 200+??!!:eek: )
  11. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I run Metzlers on my Fatboy and Dunlops on my RK I will replace them with Metzler. I used to run Venom X on my Fatboy and loved the way they handled and then a chunk came out of the rear. My local indy shop said he has had several of them do that. I checked the pressure right after i discovered the chunk was gone and it was right a 40psi. AL
  12. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Let's try this pic one more time. Al

Attached Files:

13. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Dunlops seem to last longer because they are a harder rubber. The Metz's, although they seem to hug the road better, don't last as long brcause they are somewhat softer rubber. I have also heard that Metz's if not inflated properly, tend to cup. At least that's happened to one of my bro's bikes... With that said, I have a Dunlop on the rear and a Metz on the front. No problems in any weather and it's my main transportation.:)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hey AF, they don't handle as well in the twisties but then again I'm not riding a crotch rocket. :roflmao: I can still get my pegs scraping through the corners without any trouble. I also did not change the front end at all so I don't have any other issues. It handles fine, you just have to lean it a little harder that's all.
  15. AFNurse

ones I heard most about are the ones with the stretch front end....AND the wide tire in the rear....they all LOOK very cool...would love to mod my bike, BUT ....... I guess with only one bike, and a bagger to boot...not as big of a deal going for rideability!!!
  16. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Yeah, ya know those bikes are nice to look at and nice to ride.....if you only want to go straight!! I will modify my bike more but I doubt very much if I would ever change the rake. My mods will be kept to bars, lights, engine mods, etc.
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My bro-in-law run's the avon 's V , & his SG hold's the corner's real good , but there a little more then the metz I run & my E Glide is a bit heavier , when I had the dunlaps front when around 15k rear about 6 k with no burn outs , The metz front went 20k & by my choise I went new the rear went 15k so a just a few buck's more & almost double the milage it a good deal for me & I like the way the metz hold the road dry or wet
  18. fxrsrules

fxrsrules New Member

I run dunlop 551 on my fxr. Iv'e never hada problem in the the twisties or rain. As far as the burnouts go they hook up because of the soft rubber, I'ts usualy a cross between a burnout and wheelie:eek: (S&S 124 gets a lot squirrely when it comes to burnouts on a lite bike). I'll give up the extra miles I can get on a hard tire for more fun. On my glide I still have the factoy 402 dunlop because it's a heavy bike, and I can get a great burnout with the hard tire. I put Metzlers 880 on my fxr once, must have been a old set of tires, great in the dry sucked in the rain.
  19. bdfin

bdfin New Member

This is great, we can amp this thread up like the great oil debate....
    Although, I would find the tire info very helpful as I am looking at replacing the original rubber on the 02 wide glide. Not because it is totally wore out, but it it is going on 5 + years old and is just getting old. Low mileage bike but old rubber. Somewhat more of a limited selection on the 21" front. If you want the same tread and tire type anyways. Wouldn't possibly mind trying a set of Michelins, as I have those on my PU and they are pretty decent. Then again I think I'm boycotting the French because they're politics are moronic which I won't go into here. So it could be the Metzlers.
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

as i stated, i have run the dunlops on my 06 electa glide since new, never got more than 8k out of the rear....402's and 404's just put a dunlop elete3 on today....gonna see how it does......got 30k on the bike, so time will tell.....