1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What ya think????

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

first, i have done no testing....
    out riding and my voltmeter pegged to the highside. i went to idle and it came back to 12volts. rode a bit farther and it pegged again, idled down and it came back to 12 again. rode a bit farther, but had my passing lamps on also and it didnt go above 13volts.....i am thinking volt regulator.....what say y'all???? i am going to test the electrical system tomorrow....load test the battery, pull the codes, as it did flash my 4ways, check the stator and regulator.....just curious if anyone had the same problem and what fixed it......06flht, 60k on the clock.......original battery and electrical system........:)
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

Sounds like a regulator to me to Chuck...Hope you get her fixed
  3. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I used to have a '51 Ford that I had to run the headlights on all the time to keep the voltmeter from pegging. It was a bad regulator but I didn't have the money to fix it so I just kept the lights on. Sounds like you have the same problem except the money part. :D
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sure sounds like a regulator to me. But you just might want to check out the charging system (stator). The wifes 04 trike was acting up and not charging right and we checked the stator and it had burned out coils in it. Good time to put in a high amp output on it so you can run those big lights with ease.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like the volt reg to me as well had a stator go out & it would not start had to push it to start
  6. chucktx

didnt get a chance to test it today, worked on the "chobber".....but will have time in the morning........
  7. chucktx

finally, i was able to test the system.....my regulator is bad.....stator ohmed good and ac output is good.......now to find a regulator!!!!!
  8. FLHTbiker

Did you have one of those chrome covers over it. I have often wondered about excessive heat build up on the regulator with those chrome covers on them.
  9. chucktx

no chrome covers....actually not much chrome on the bike.....i wanna ride, not polish!!!:D
  10. FLHTbiker

You would then like those new all black bikes with the primer look paint, :p
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Chrome is great in the middle of winter -- when you haven't rode since December :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::wtf:
  12. SteveRace

SteveRace New Member

I agree about the chrome, and heat issues. Although many people like chrome on there bikes. Polished alum is much better for engine and other parts that have heat issues. Although alum is much softer then chrome, takes more care then hard chrome. In racing engines, the guys that run a lot of chrome will run about 10 deg hotter then the guys with polished alum parts on there engines.