1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Whats your read on these??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Cleaned off the VSS today,wasn't very dirty...Got one on order,I'll throw it in the tourpak if it's in Tuesday...

Then checked the plugs...this is what I would like some opinions on...They look pretty rich to me,front especially,looks like carbon,doesn't seem to be oily...rear plug looks to have too much timing,can't see a mark on front one...how much of a roll does the VSS play in idle mixture??Could it be sensors getting weak or does the Fuel Moto map need tweeking??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

MY 03 cop glide both plugs where about right in the middle of your two , one of your looks a bit rich& the other about right to me
  3. Lucifer

Yeah front one is the darkest one...front breather filter was also the dirtiest of the 2...I have the Sifton breather kit...so no oil mist goes into the intake from the breathers,but the back side of the throttle plate was black and wet...front of it was as clean as the day I cleaned it and installed the breather kit....IAC port was also filthy and full of crud...cleaned that out and new plugs in and it idles now like it should....not sure if on the throttle plate was carbon and fuel or an oil film...same with IAC...

The bike used 1/2 quart of oil in 1100 miles and in the back of my mind I'm thinking the valve seals got damaged when the rag got left in and starved the top end of oil and overheated,which is the only way I can figure oil is getting into my intake (if it is at all:confused:)
    I'm thinking my intake should be clean as a whistle,but it's not...

I'm wondering if a little oil is seeping through the seals and burning dry on the plugs making it look like carbon build up and the Fuel Moto map is very close to being correct,or if the map is too rich and it is just carbon build up,but the back of the throttle plate and manifold is wet and black:confused::witsend:
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

vss will not play a part in fuel mixture at all but does play a part on iac home position . Now as far as fuel trim adjustment . When looking at the pc 3 on the lap top there is a section were you can blend the front and rear fuel trims. At idle and part throttle . In other words if the bike is running good and the air fuel in the front cylinder is just a tad rich and the back is just a tad lean you can shift the fuel . With out changing the whole map takes less than a second to do it you don't even need to shut the bike off do it while its running and see the change at idle . Good tool in the software and great for getting a better smoother idle and ridability. And clean plugs as well the one plug looks like its burning awesome a little hot but great burn . The other is a tad fat.
  5. Lucifer

Less than a second...lol maybe for you....I think I'll plug the CD in and go over the tutorials a few times before I put the PCIII,map and engine at the mercy of me and a laptop :roflmao:

How about I just throw a spare set of plugs in the bag and see how it goes for the trip:D...

A dirty clogged up IAC and low erratic idle could make the plug look fat like that eh??

I didn't get a leak down or compression test done yet and I have a hard time believing I dodged a bullet on the rag episode ...I keep thinking I coulda cooked a valve seal or cracked/loosened a guide...

With that I'm kind of wondering where the 1/2 qt of oil in 1100 miles went??:confused:Is that considered normal??
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. baggerpaul

That plug is far from fouled . That front plug will be fine and I don't see any sighns of a **** load of oil on it at all front cylinder actually runs cool compaired to the rear that is shrouded . And the exhaust flows slower on the cylinder as well so that the reason that cylinder is running richer that pipes exhaust has longer to run
  7. Lucifer

:cool:that's what I wanted to hear:cheers:...So she's good to go...fresh fluids,new plugs and cleaned intake,new gasket on tour pak,new grips,adjusted handlebars up a bit...ribs on the grill,and Buds in the fridge....:D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

What BP said....

you might be dripping some oil through the seals
    won't be long the winter will be in and thats the time
    to screw with checking the seals.
  9. Lucifer

Thanks cowboy,BP &HRK :cheers: Nice to get a little reassurance that if there is a problem,it's minor and can wait...:cool:

Yeah,winter is the time to check it out...Gives me an excuse to pull the heads and since they're off might as well send them out to get cleaned up and set the cc's...I think I may change cams too,Crane 300 was the one I wanted originally but that was when Crane went out of business and I couldn't find one anywhere so the Andrews 21 went in,now that Crane cams are available again,I'll probably switch...
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Send um to Kirby, at least the heads will be in Sunny Florida for the winter LOL
  11. cowboy

At least he'll have warm heads LOL:D
  12. baggerpaul

You want a 290-2 that's the crane cam you want dude! Set the heads to 80 cc
  13. Lucifer

LOL....You're probably right...We'll see what the winter brings:D

Had that cam in the Evo with 72cc chambers and 10.5:1 static pistons(Edelbrock Performer RPM package)sure was a fun bike to ride:D
  14. baggerpaul

;)
    ;):devil:they run good so do the rollands but they like a lot of compression to run out good kinda soft without the high cylinder pressure but looooong legs
  15. cowboy

are you saying you was going fast on that Evo or got tickets to the cop ball alot:roflmao:
  16. Lucifer

:roflmao:No cowboy,no tickets or donations;)....I either picked my spots right or had a lucky horseshoe up my azz....Actually,gotta give credit where it's due...Local Police and Mounties at that time(early-mid '90s) left us alone as long as you weren't being an azzhat and going like a madman in traffic,I did get flashed a couple of times on the open highway,but they weren't going to turn around and try to pull all 20 of us over....

Nowadays with the "new breed" of LEO's you don't get cut much slack and they carry a holier than thou attitude,Mounties still aren't too bad,they'll give you 10-15MPH over,but the Locals now will bust your hump any chance they get...so I try to ride accordingly;)
  17. cowboy

Nowadays with the "new breed" of LEO's you don't get cut much slack and they carry a holier than thou attitude
    There like that here as well , our state cops will give a bit of slack if you reat them right ,don't ask me how I know :roflmao: