1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Why do you prefer harley??

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 26, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of this a lot on my own because I wondered what it was that drew me to a Harley? Was it based on the fact that it was American? Was it because at one time it was the ultimate status symbol? Was it because of its reputation that if you ride a Harley, you are a misfit? (Rebellion)?

For me, it was because I saw that you could take an awesome looking bike, off the showroom floor, and make it better, make it yours, one of a kind. I remember also that there was a family that moved in right behind my parents that were from the Twin Cities that were of the biker nature and I was always drawn to that.

I remember when my sister bought her first motorcycle, it was a little yamaha route 66. Nice little bike, but I remember saying to myself that it is not a Harley!

So why for you?
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Oh boy. I hope HRK can see it to forgive me ;) but how I got into the Harley thing was a little confusing but there were two issues. One was the Superbike ban proposed by Senator Danforth that made it all but impossible to get insurance for my bike..a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200 and the fact that being a trade unionist had me driving north american made vehicles ..[couldn't drive anything else..just wasn't right..couldn't wear non north american made clothing. I was a strong believer in supporting the local economy and in many ways I still am] I cannot lie, seeing the IAM bug on the frame of the sportster made the decision to sell the big Yamaha and buy the 883 deluxe..but man what a culture shock that was. I hap the sporty for a year..rode the bag off it ,cracked the fenders but it was so low powered compared to the big FJ it made me a much better rider as I learned to carry a lot more speed going into corners as I knew I didn't have the power out if my line wasn't correct. I picked up a FXRS-sp next..loved that bike, lost my job so I sold it so I could keep the house. got a dyna a couple of years later..stroked it put some good suspension parts in it. It was fast but didn't quite handle as well as the FXRS. I had a Ducati for a while..brilliant riding bike, loved it but I couldn't afford to keep it on the road. now i'm riding touring rigs and they're like your favorite pair of shoes..they fit, they're comfy, no fuss no muss no blisters get on it and ride..got a bunch of miles in with Flht biker and never a bad one. The FL series of Harleys are the easiest touring bike for me to ride.

here's a link to an old AMA article regarding Danforth

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PPk...age&q=senator danforth superbike bill&f=false
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. edisonac

edisonac New Member

This is going to sound crazy but the only reason I prefer a Harley is just to say I'm riding a Harley-Davidson! I have to admit all my Japanese bikes sport and crusier all handled better, ALWAYS STARTED and were very inexpensive to maintain. My ducati was by far the best bike I ever owned but pikaother guy said maintenance was so expensive . I am also judging Harley by my first and and only Harley. A 2001 1200 sportser. I looking to buy a new one next spring. I think its going to be a night rod but I really like the fat bob to.
    What really got me and still annoys me is I needed to replace my rear tire so I call the dealer by my house they said sure bring it in well do it while you wait. I asked how much they told me $134 plus the tire . I though that was way to expensive. So. I pass the Honda dealer on the way home popped in real quick for some parts for my dirt bike and ask them about the tire also. They told me $60 to change the rear tire . So I bought the front and back and total labor out the door to install both tires for $129 plus tires . So I used them. Still can't figure out why Harley wanted so much . So yeah the only reason I ride a harley is to get that feeling when you said u own a Harley-Davidson.
  4. HD97FXDC

HD97FXDC New Member

Well my mom dated a guy who owned a 66 electraglide. One summer we pulled all of the tins repainted it black and rebuilt the top end. I rode a sportster in high school when everyone else had a sport bike of the 80's. So I will say those two things sold me on Harley.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I owned a few Japanese bikes only cause I couldn't afford a Harley. Rode bikes sense I was 14 and even rode a bike around the island of Guam.
    First wife always told me that I didn't need a bike cause it was just a luxury. Had young kids, then the bomb hit she divorced me for a old guy her dads age (she is paying for that one now) but he had a lot of money.
    Meant my current wife Pat and a joy to my life. We meet square dancing and found a motorcycle group that rode to square dances, camped and were just good people. So I scraped up enough money to buy my first touring bike an old 1100 83 Goldwing (was still paying child support). We used to strap sleeping bags and gear on it and go camping, but we had a lot of fun.
    Always admired the other guys Harley's in the group. Well one year my child support ended and we stopped at a HD dealer and there was this beautiful Aztec Orange Roadking sitting there just screaming my name. Pat said buy it your child support is over now, almost fell over dead. I had a Yamaha Royal Star then, very slow and sluggish, lacked power and was terrible on gas. Well I bought the Roadking sold the Yamaha and never looked back.
    Owning and riding a Harley has opened up so many doors and we have meant so many great friends just because of the brand name. Riding a Harley is like nothing else I had ever rode before. I've never had bad experiences with break downs (did with a 89 Goldwing we had) and the touring models are way more comfortable to ride than any other bike I have ever owned.
    I have never been a fan of Japanese products and have always liked American made, probably why we have always bought American cars. The Harley is built as good or better than the Japanese bikes. Never did like the sportbike riding or look.
    My Springer to me is the classic example of a American motorcycle and love the style and ride. Our Ultra, well lets just say to me Ultra means the best there is.
    The Japanese bikes will never have the pull that a Harley has nor the following.
    We used to belong to a Goldwing chapter and those people always would put down Harley riders and make comments about the bike. When I bought my first Harley they really turned cold to us. We joined a HOG chapter and those people are like night and day difference. They don't put down any other riders or bikes and have always welcomed other brands to come ride with us, now that's my kind of people.
    Owning a Harley is the best thing we have ever done. Even the wife now rides her own Harley. :)
  6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Why do I have a Harley?

A long story. I've had bikes for over 30 years. Japanese, British, Italian.... Sports bikes, touring bikes, rat bikes, cruisers. It feels like bikes have always been part of me.... It goes on..... and on...

But here is the short story. A few years back, in 2005 I got really ill. I had TB, could have died, lost loads of weight, went down to less than 100lb. It took me a long time to recover and it made me realise there was more to life than work, responsibilities, stuff like that. So back in 2007 when I was mostly better, I did one thing I always wanted to do, I got a Harley. A 2007 Softail Custom.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

back in '67, i picked up a basket 49 pan....i think around 300 bucks. put it back together, chopped it a bit, using availabe stuff for the time, which wasnt much. had to fab. most of it. when i first started it, and threw a leg over it, rocked the clutch and slipped it into first gear, i knew there wasnt any other bike i wanted to ride. rocked the clutch back and launched the front wheel into the air.....nearly lost it, then had to figure how to smoothly shift from first to second without over shooting into third or stopping in neutral!!!!!!!! them were the days!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have dreamed of owning a Harley ever since the TV show "Then Came Bronson" back when I was in junior high. Owned several other bikes but not a harley .I quit riding back in '81 for 18 years after a friend of mine was killed while we were out riding. But the dream of having a Harley never left so as soon as my kids were moved out I got my dream in 2005. Now I am on #2 and have plans in a couple years for a third.
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Many of these reasons are why I went to Harley - American made, dependable, torqy, great sound, plenty of power to carry two up ("full sized") adults through the mountains of East Tenn, Western NC and Southwestern VA and the friendliness of the HOG chapter members plus our dealership has some really good get togethers for the customers. Just this past Saturday my wife and I went on a benefit ride with others in the group to help one of the chapter members that had been injured in an accident. A couple of weeks ago the HOG Chapter had a "family" picnic that was indeed for the family - kids included. On Mondays when weather permits, several of the customers from the dealership get together for a ride and when we stop for a meal, somone returns thanks for the food. When you go by the dealership, it's not just going to another motorcycle shop cause they sell much more than just bikes. I heard that the VP of Harley put it so well when he said "Harley doesn't just sell bikes, Harley sells a lifestyle" and I sort of like that. It's a place that most anyone can fit in somehow. Even if it's just to go by and look or just to set on a Harley. I've had several metric bikes and they were good bikes but I have to say nothing eats up The Snake (US Hwy 421) in Northeast TN like the '10 Ultra Limited. Last Saturday on the benefit ride, we tooks turns at such a lean angle that would have scrubbed the foot boards, pegs and pipes off the Vulcan Classic. It never fails that when we go by the dealership, more than one always asked "How's the bike doing? Anything you need?" That's about all I got to say about that.:):):)
  10. JohnnyBiker

My Sporty is my first bike. I waited this long in life for me to get my first one because of how I was when I was younger. I liked to do a lot of partying. I bought my bike for may reasons. To start off, it was to say that I am a Harley owner. There always seems to be a silent respect given for those that have one. Then, when I tore it apart, changed the things that I did on it, I really like the looks that my bike gets, and the compliments that I hear. I just do not hear those things said about metric bikes. Then, as I am progressing with my sporty when it was torn apart, I saw how my wife was getting into it. Well, when the bike was done, just off of the stand she said that she wanted that bike, and I could go buy a different one. For me it is the family involvement angle that I am attracted to, not only with my blood family, but the family that was created at my home dealership. I can walk in there, they know me by name and we can sit and just shoot the breeze. I have looked at many other bikes that I thought that I might want, but never, and I mean never got that type of friendship right away.

As said before, a Harley for me is a lifestyle, nothing can beat it!!
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

It’s really true,
    --If I have to explain you wouldn’t understand! --
    I think that covers all statements made here. We all understand no statement needed. Once you’ve ridden a Harley you won’t ride anything else.
    Life time rider, 20 year Harley man.
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Way back when (mid 50's) the guy across the ally had a harley wind shield & leather saddle bags I would here him leaving or comming in ,The looks of his bike & the sounds of his pipes stayed with me Then some years later one of my older brothers had some friends who rode harleys & boom there was that sound & looks again bought me first bike (yamaha) in 1965 I was 13 & back then in new mexico you could get a scooter licenes , so after a few different bikes & returning from overseas in 71 I bought my first harley A 68 sporty 900 with the right had shifter & have moved up over the years :cool:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

LOL no issues with me Sleepy.

HD's are a great motorcycle, big heavy great looking, timeless design,

JMO when you ride one, you get a different feeling about the ride, the bike and yourself.

I've ridden all kinds, goldwings, yamahas, all rode well, but you just don't get the
    same feeling as when you are on your HD..
  14. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

I wish I had a long inspiring story about riding since youth or years of dreaming and longing for my first Harley, but I don’t. I bought my first Harley simply because “Chicks Dig em”!:cool: Now about fifteen years later there is only one chick that matters and you guessed it “She digs em”.:D
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. quietone

quietone Active Member

Yea it's true, luv my HD's. In the last 40 years I've owned 14 bikes, honda-yamaha-susuki-norton -brigstone-even a moped. After it is all said and done the only two I still have are my 94 fxdwg with over 100k on it and a 88 fxrs with 60k on it. The same day my lady got her license on my 650 yamaha she found someone to buy it and claimed my fxr as hers. I love the fact that it pulls like a tractor. I can go for a putt somedays and never get over half throttle or 4 grand on the tach all day and still have hit 80 mph, did not have to downshift to pass or climb a hill. If something happens there is always someone who happens to come along and actually offers assistance or solutions no matter where you find yourself. The wide glide has been down a few times but I repair it and get back on it, can't even think of parting with it, just wouldn't be right. Would like a good touring bike also but will keep these two, part of my estate sale I guess. It is a lifestyle. The people and the places that motorcycles have brought to my life have been great and very satisfying on my part. The best bike in the world is the one thats in your crotch, and in this house they are Harley's
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Great saying. I'll have try and remember that one.
  17. JohnnyBiker

There was a girl at work that asked if I would give her a ride on my bike and I asked her if she was my wife? She just gives me that astonished looked and i walked away.
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

HD's VP said it - yer not buying a bike yer buyin a lifestyle ! - can't add much to that after 50 years of ridin HD's:)
  19. JohnnyBiker

A metric just does not get the respect that an HD does do they?
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Ya think ;)