1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wifes Trike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 25, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Shortly after getting the wifes new to her trike home after driving to Utah to pick it up I noticed a strange noise from the rear end area. We didn't hear it in the parking lot where she rode it around a couple of times. Anyway I tore into it and what I found was dang scary. The back of the tranny housing where the swing are connects from the trike was broken. Yep the whole tranny case needs replacing. The pulley's at both ends was shot and the trike tracking was way of kilter. The exhaust was put on so hokey you would just shake your head Chuck. After seeing all this we called the seller who also built the trike. He builds trikes for others from kits. He had neglected to install the bushings and tightener washers where the bolt passes through and into the swing arm. This allowed slop on the bolt which allowed to much movement and caused the housing to break. The pulleys and belt were so out of alignment that both pulleys were chewed up and warn. We agreed to take it into a specialty trike shop here in Portland called Wingman. Very good repair shop and they work on Harley trikes to. After a lot of parts and labor we picked up the bike tonight. I'm enclosing a couple of picks of some of just some the damage. Needless to say we were very disappointed in the condition of this bike. These people who built the trike and his wife rode it for 3 years are friends of ours. :confused: They sent my wife a check for $3000.00 but the bill came to $4700.00.

Sure I could have done it myself but I don't have a lift to get the bike up where you can work on it or the room right now. The bike runs great and I rode it home, no more noises and handles like a trike :rolleyes:.

We never complained to the place that worked on it as to when would it be done as they are good friends of ours as well. Took so long because Harley did not have the 5 speed ultra tranny case in stock and neither did HD back east so it had to be manufactured first. Anyway its done and back, and it did cause some striff. Don't think he did it on purpose but should have known what he was doing.

Had the swing are broke out the rest of the way it could have possibly killed the rider, my wife.

Attached Files:

2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That really stinks. Even worse that it was a friend of yours. Do they know it cost you that much? I'm glad your wife didn't get hurt.
  3. FLHTbiker

They are in Street Vibrations so they don't know the total cost. Yea, it does stink for sure.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Really lucky it didn't break when she was riding it..Glad it's OK now
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Tripp City !!!
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is scary!!!! glad no one was hurt. i hope ya have many trouble free miles now that is has been repaired correctly!!!!! odd that the builder forgot/neglected to catch these faults!!!!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My are you/your wife lucky that could have been real bad , good to here all is fixed & all safe
  8. FLHTbiker

We went for a ride up the Clackamas and over to Detroit lake. Wife rode the Harley Trike and said it was fine. We rode all together about 200 miles today.
    Were planning on another ride Tomorrow up over MT Hood the back way and up to Little Crater Lake. I'm so glad I caught the the problem when she first got it home. God, the thought of it breaking completely out would have simply been scary. I'm still going to keep a close eye on it and examine it after a few more miles and keep checking it off and on.
  9. chucktx

good idea!!! dont need anymore "excitement"!!!!! have fun and stay safe.......
  10. FLHTbiker

We rode up to Little Crater Lake, its about an acre across and only 45 feet deep. Created by underground springs and volcanic action.

The trike is working very well except for the CD player. The previous owner said she never used it. It skips and stalls on any CD when listening to it.

Here is a couple of pics from today. Wifes trike, me and the wife at Little Crater Lake and the lake from within the trees.

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

very pretty place!!!! my cd skips on my bike also....i dont use it. i will use the radio once in a while but mostly plug in my mp3 and dont worry with it.........
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Why does the thought of Chuck with an MP3 strike me as odd? :roflmao:

Great pictures!
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Who would have thunk it!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think he could spell EmmPeeThre

shame on the trike problem glad you found it when you did and that she had enough sense to know when somethings wrong.

I've always felt machines tell you things, especially when things are wrong, ya just got to listen...
  15. chucktx

hehehehe........ya, i guess it does sound odd...........to tell the truth, i have a designated hard drive with over 80 gig of music on it..........and adding all the time.......i love music!!!