1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wild ride today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 8, 2015.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Myself, maddog, Olbill, olbob and big jim meant up at 10 AM at the HD dealer for ride up over the Clackamas and to the otherside of the Cascades to the small Town of Detroit.
    Myself on my 99 Triumph Trophy and two others were riding their Triumph Tigers (both guys 75 years old) bikes, Maddog on his new to him 08 Yammy FJR and big Jim on his Harley Ultra.
    We did good all the way up to the Ripplebrook Ranger Station. We rode up to the headwaters of the Clackamas River where snow should be anywhere from 5-8 feet deep but no snow.
    Then unexpectedly with temps at 56 we came to a very shaded area and hit ice. I was following Maddog and all of a sudden the bike is going sideways then back and forth. Stayed off the brakes and managed to gain control but what a pucker factor that is. Tried to flag the others to slow down but they were already in it by then. They didn't hit it as fast as Maddog and I did so they were ok.
    Then we picked our speed up again and all of a sudden a great big dear runs out in front of Maddog and me, another very close call. We stopped at the summit for a few then hit it again. Really carving out the tight curves and then another shaded area but we slowed sooner and came across a car that had just wrecked and was laying on its roof. Driver already on the way to a hospital.
    Made into Detroit and had lunch at a great restaurant (Korner Post Restaurant) a motorcycle friendly place.

After lunch we decided to head back down the main highway back and all of a sudden my bike is starving for gas and dies. I found a safe spot to pull off the road. Earlier I had switched the gas valve to Reserve as the gas was getting lower. So switched it back to on and it started up. Took off and about 5 miles down the road started again, loss of power but then it came to life. Stopped for gas and filled it up and got 44MPG so still not bad. After that with the valve set to on the bike ran great all the way home, another 75 miles.
    Only thing I can think of is the Res. Pickup tubes are picking up crud from the bottom area of the tank. Rest of the day was fairly uneventful. All in all was a fun day and the temps at home got up to 70 today.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun filled day! Wish I had a video of you guys sliding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. FLHTbiker

Not me, now I'm relaxing eating fresh strawberry shortcake, Yep strawberries are in. :D
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That was a fun, adventurous day. Not too much went haywire; just enough to keep things interesting. We still had black ice on our secondary roads in the shaded areas, too - after it had melted everywhere else. But I was on four wheels.

Interesting about how you switched to your reserve a bit early. I did that once and forgot and ran out of gas!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Must be nice, temps might be lower 40's here at a high. Need a shitz load of rain and NO more snow to get rid of the corrosion factor. Enjoy but be careful to all.
  6. olbill

olbill Active Member

Marc you are off a bit on Bob and myself age we are 77 and still rocking
  7. FLHTbiker

I'll tell yea what Bill I really hope I'm doing as well if I do reach your age. You and Bob ride pretty darn good. :)
  8. olbill

olbill Active Member

Thanks Marc the secret is never stop riding
  9. FLHTbiker

Well that's one thing you've never done is stop riding. Keep it up for as long as you can.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, never stop moving, (and that includes never stop riding). Ol' Bill & Bob make me feel like a youngun at 71 :D.