1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

windshield problems

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by edveitch, May 7, 2006.

1. edveitch

edveitch New Member

I've just bought a Harley Heritage Softail Classic. Is there anything you can do about the air turbulance behind the windshield. It knocks my head around when you get about 60 mph. Is there anything you can do?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you will get more answers if this is posted on the tech thread.....but try to adjust the angle and height........
    chuck
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Chuck's right about adjusting the height and the angle of the screen. I had a FXR and put a screen on it and it took me a long long time to get it set right where I didn't have the guy with the 21 ounce roofing hammer beating me on the top of the head. Here's what I would do. I'd get on the bike and go out for a ride and I'd move around on the saddle..closer to the screen..further away..sit up tall, crouch down a little....in short I'd find where the buffeting was the worst and then I'd try to find where my body position was the most comfortable and see how the buffeting was there. In my case with the FXR the fix was angling the screen back and rotating the handlebars down slightly which pulled my head slightly closer to the screen and down..I got air but it was clean. There has to be a jillion seat windscreen/combos you can set up for your bike. If you're getting beat on the top of the head you can go with a taller screen..or if the bike permits.angling the screen closer to you..or a lower seat. If you're getting blasted from side to side you may be getting your dirty air from around the screen or you might be getting some air from underneath it..around the fork tubes...off your knees and up the torso and off your head..some bikes have small wings to deflect the air away...there's an answer out there....but in a lot of cases it's trial and error until you get it right for you.
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Winshield problems

I wonder if this is a problem for the FLSTC??? I have the same problem, but it doesn't beat on my head. It does cause my long beard to flop upward as I am going. This causes me to trim it when it is excessively long so it doesn't cover my eyes. I joke with my wife about putting lead sinkers (splitshots) on my beard to keep it weighted down. She doesn't like the hair tie deal either. Makes it look funny. I just kinda accept it. Let me know how it works dude. Peace:)