1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winter projects

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by nightster09, Nov 12, 2008.

1. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

Even though I can't claim that my riding season was all that long - I am not looking forward to the snow that is supposed to be around here tomorrow. Snow is making me start to really think about projects for the Nightster. There isn't too much I want to do to the bike, but new pipes is definitely priority one. I have decided that the V&H short shots are out - - too many people are putting them on the Nightsters - just like another belly button.
    Suggestions are welcome please!! Pipes? Hwy Pegs or forward controls? Mini apes or standard? saddle??

Here's to a quick and painless winter!!
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

All of these are realy up to the rider , like the pipes it's how you want them to look & sound , peg's I have always tried to have at least two places to put me feet (besides in my mouth) I'am not sure on the sporty but if there's aplace to mount foword pegs like on the super glides just mount some hwy pegs there & keet your center pegs , mini apes look good on the sporty but make sure your comfy when riding seats the same thing just don't go for looks you backside need's to be comfy as well
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

SE air filter kit and good set of slip on mufflers, no full pipes, costs less, works better and sounds good give you more performance and better running bike.

Python, Cycle Shack and Khrome Werks all make a nice sounding deep tone slip on that works extremely well, I'm partial to the Khrome Werks.

Khrome Werks

Buy parts through Jenny at www.tri-countryharleydavidson.com 20% off all hd stuff everyday and sometimes a bigger pct off on aftermarket, you just need to have the PN ready when you call either HD or Drag or CCI.

Seats where you touch the bike all the time so it's a good investment, mustang or corbin are good.
  4. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

thanks for the info. i did have my eye on the SE slip ons in flat black, but was worried about the overall sound - my bike is weak in the sound dept. right now. I will check out the ones you have suggested and hopefully will be able to post some pics in a few months with the changes.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You've already got some good suggestions, including SE air-cleaner & slip-ons, but seat would definitely be on my list - haven't seen a stock seat on a Sportster yet that was comfortable. Lots of choices there too & although I have Corbin seats which I like, Mustang is far & away the most popular for Sportster riders, especially those that ride longer distances.

I switched to foward controls on one bike & then back a couple years later, leaving the forward pegs for highway pegs. I don't like switching back & forth for shifting or braking, but you definitely do not have as much cornering control with forwards & I ride curvy backroads a LOT more than straight highways. If you're on the highways most often, you may like the forwards better, but just having another place to park your feet is good.

With respect to handlebar, one setup I know is real popular with Sportster riders is the wider "Flanders" flat-track type bar. I haven't tryed it, but those who have say it gives them more control & you can get one in black instead of chrome if you want. On one bike I've got a stock 883 bar on 4" risers & that works great for me, but if you can get the opportunity to sit on a few bikes with different setups you'll probably see which one is closest to what you like the best.

My Sportsters are older carb models & certainly not stock, but from what I've seen on our Sportster list, the new ones don't need much with respect to engine - improved air-cleaner & quality slip-ons (stock pipes, keep the crossover) is all, with one exception. Instead of buying an expensive aftermarket tuner, there are far less inexpensive ($70-$100) replacements for the oxygen sensor setup that change the air/fuel ratio from 14.7:1 to 14.2 or 13.8. Both give a bit more power, but the biggest thing is a substantial drop in engine temp.

It'd take me a while to find the details, but one guy was having problems with the engine overheating in "parade duty" situations & he started measuring cylinder head temps. Just changing to the 14.2:1 setup with the "inline enrichment device" solved that problem - major drop in engine temp & better performance too, with almost no drop in fuel mileage. Here's one article about that:
    2007 HD Engine High Heat Characteristics
  6. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I put the forward controls on my sporty, and I love them. There may be a slight loss in curves, but only slight, and for riding all day, they work great. I still do the curves just fine, and they are far more comfortable for longer rides.

To each their own, though.

I am going to get a new seat for mine (on the x-mas wish list). As mentioned above, stock seats are not the most comfortable.

Winter, that boring season when you cannot ride!
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

"Winter, that boring season when you cannot ride"
    but it can be that season for tinkerin, cleanin and admiring!!!!!!!
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Chuck, my garage is not heated, and up here it gets too cold even for that! Try handling tools when it is -30, not fun! I need to move south!
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep you do, even here in Oregon it does not get that cold just a little wet a time or to. :D
  10. chucktx

i used to live in northern ohio....akron area.....my garage was the same as yours....very cold. i used a space heater, then up graded to one of those small torpedeo heaters and left the garage door open a bit for air....it made it comfy to wrench..........and yes, i have had tools actually stick to my hand a time or two.....:)
  11. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I could move the bike in the house, but that might result in the wife moving out of the house.
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I've had tool's stick to hand out west one time IN Alb NM , finished rebuilding my shovel head in the kitchen , boy ol boy did the wife get up set but I get it done & she's still here with me today even after painting the frame in the back room same winter :D
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know of some guys who would think that would be a good thing. :D

I have a big as@ wood stove in my shop and when I fire it up in the winter it makes it real toasty warm in their.
  14. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Not on a Sporty, but... My winter plans for adding bits and pieces to my FXSTC. I'm going to do a stage 1 with V&H slip ons and some of the usual other bits. Also going to have an Autocom Active Duo fitted, not for music and stuff which in my view is a potential dangerous distraction, but purely for helmet to helmet comms on those long road trips.
  15. chucktx

good luck and have fun with it......keep us posted on the upgrades!!!:)