1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Won't be riding for awhile

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 6, 2007.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

On Thursday while inspecting a 114 year old home I got stuck under the house in the crawl space. I knew better than trying to get into this area but I also had to find out what was wrong under this old house. In trying to get out my shoulders were stuck between two sections of concrete so I backed up and put my arms out in front of me to make my shoulders smaller. Well that worked except for a little further and then I really got stuck on the second attempt. I could see daylight at the opening to get out and knew this was my only choice of getting out. So in attempting to pull myself through this very small opening which was also had a slight uphill rise to it I had to pull myself as hard as I could. After about a half an hour and pulling I finally got through and then I realized I had damaged something in my shoulder as I was in a lot of pain. I finished up with the client drove myself home and then my wife takes me to the hospital. The doc gave me the bad news she said I tore the rotter cup in my shoulder and the doc told me you are not going to be riding for awhile as that was my big concern. So here I sit arm in a sling, the weather is nice with sunshine the HOG chapter is on a ride today and I can't ride. So I pack the shoulder with ice, keep the arm in a sling take my pain med's, I know bring out the violins but it really sucks. :rant:
  2. SK

SK New Member

Sorry to hear that Marc. The rotator cuff is a fairy common, but serious one. Did they say they were going to do any surgery? There's a proceure call "Tommy John" surgery to fix it. Named after Tommy John, the former big league pitcher..first to pitch successfully again after a rotator cuff injury.

I'm kinda stuck too. Got back to LV this week from California and all my parts are here to put my FJR back together. Hope to start doing that this weekend.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Man FLHT, that story had me struggling to breathe over here. I've done my share of tight spaces like that and I would've panicked. Glad to hear you're still not stuck in there. MAN that gives me the willies just thinkin about it. Hope you're Ok soon and back on the road.
  4. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I had the surgery a few years back. Mine was so painful, I couldn't reach back to get my wallet out of my pocket. Surgery wasn't too bad but I had to have rehab and a 9 month recovery period. It's perfect now. I think I could pitch 9 innings:) . Good luck with it.

If I had been packed in a space like you were, I would have had a whold lot more torn than a rotator cuff. I would have blown at least a couple gaskets and my eyes would have been out on stems. I can't take places that tight.
  5. FLHTbiker

Well SK, they have not said anything so far about surgery. They got me in this sling with pain meds and want me to take Alev 4 times a day. I go back on the 19th to get checked again. Sure hurts like hell.

What happened to the FJR that you need to put it back together?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear bout your shoulder.....dont work it to hard and you will be back on the scoot in no time!!:)
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, I'm sorry you're beat up a little....heal well.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

FLHTbiker - Had rotator cuff injury, couldn't draw my pistol, ending my deployment eligibility. Went through the ibuprofin/naproxsyn/acetimenophen attempts and physical therapy.......waste of time, at least for me. Just ate out my stomach and, though stronger, still hurt like Hell. Had the shoulder 'scoped and was riding within 2 months.

Lessons learned were:

1. Beware anti-inflamatory drug use over time. Many stomachs cannot handle it.

2. Physical therapy for these injuries is a whole lot more effective after the surgery.

Good luck.....
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Sorry about your shoulder Bud... Hang on in there.... you'll be riding before longer...:)
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Get well & do as the doc's say & you'll be in the wind in no time I can't do small places sence I had my stroke about 10 years back
  11. FLHTbiker

Cowboy, I had a nightmare last night about being stuck in a crawl space and I could not get out, reach my flash light or ceil phone. Some of these crawl spaces are so tight and small you feel like a mole.
    I'm afraid it will be some time before I'm back on the bike. Shoot it will be nice when I can type on the computer with both hands instead of left handed and one finger. :cussing:
  12. gutierg

gutierg New Member

FLHTbiker,

First and most of all, I hope that your shoulder heals well before the weather sets in and riding will be gone for the season. How long do you expect to be sidelined? Best wishes regardless.

Oh! and thank you for your comments on the V-Rod earlier today. It is always good to hear it from all points of view, it does help!!

I'm sorry you are stuck at home, but I am glad I was able to read your opinions.

Best Regards,
    German
  13. FLHTbiker

I have test rode them before. The one I like is the cruiser style with the forward controls and yes lots of power.
    When I'm tired of the Ultra I take out my Springer and love it. I set it up a a one person bike (no back seat). Its a lot of fun to have variety especially a second bike that is very different from the other one.
    I can see why you would like the V-Rod. The SE V-Rod is pretty slick and quick.
  14. flhtcu rob

flhtcu rob New Member

Been there--still there, sorta

A few years ago I went down in a low speed crash while riding my wife's old chopper up our freaking driveway--it was dark and I hit a patch of pine straw while turning.:gah: Slammed my shoulder pretty good. Not a baaad tear, but hurt like all get-out! I've not had surgery, and don't plan too, but every once in a while, when I'm reaching for something, I get a little reminder to clean ALL the pine straw from the driveway.:banghead:

Here's to a speedy recovery!:cheers:
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

surgery will unfortunately be the only way to properly repair your shoulder other than that you are just working to mask the pain after surgery you will be back to 110hp the only thing I recomend is get another opinion and pick the doc the sports people do.
  16. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I've torn mine up 3 times and have been to pig headed to have surgery. The last time it took 6 months just to get the pain to stop, sometimes I still get a catch in it when I move wrong.

Like RedRider says watch the anti inflamatorys, one Dr. told me to take all I wanted. Next Dr. told me thats what caused the kidney stones. I'd rather my shoulder hurt than pass another stone.
  17. FLHTbiker

That's all I would need is a kidney stone. I have been really drinking lots of water along with the Aleve. I don't take more than 4 in 24 hours.
  18. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

FLHT I feel your pain been through many surge R Knee 5 L shoulder 2 R arm 3
    :banghead: the best thing to do is be patient :rant: you hurry it along and will end up in worst shape than your in kinda hard to ride when you cant hold your arm up:gah: and my Bro had kidney stones he said I know what child birth feels like accept he gave birth to a grass burr:roflmao:

Tiny
  19. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Cuz, hope ya get to feelin' better. The best way to see if you have a tear is an MRI and they don't always show up as a tear. I had a torn labrum on each shoulder and both required surgery. No more repetitive work for me:D . I can ride without any pain now and I never have to worry about workn' in a car plant again.All the best in your recovery and try to remember that it is hurt. Your instinct to grab at something with the bad shoulder will remind you quick.:)
  20. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

flht,
    i hope your on the mend,
    awwwwww the joys of being in the construction feild.
    i do feel your pain,as i am getting older, i am finding it takes longer to heel
    i am gonna ask your mrs....to cut ya back on the pinto beans and cornbread
    all kidding aside
    dont rush anything,i know i tend to chomp on the bit when i am hurt, and knows theres work to be done. i tend to rush things before i am actually ready to go back to work, and find myself taking longer to heal.
    take this advise from a very hard headed man.
    dont rush it!!!!

TRG