1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Working Out..

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 9, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I told myself that once I quit smoking that I would start to workout again. (I do not know why it took to quit smoking). Well, I have done just that. I joined a health club and had a meeting with a personal trainer. he did an assessment of my body and determined that I am plus or minus 2% of 15% body fat. I like that, that means that I have more muscle than fat...:D I was happy to hear that aging really hasn't affected me that much in that regard.

When I was younger (13-14 years old) I was in a group home. There was not a lot to do in your down time but there was a place that we could lift weights. One of the counslers that was there was into weight lifting pretty heavy. (He is now the Sheriff of the county that I live in). Anyway, I lifted a lot and was able to reach some milestones for a person of my age and weight. Now that I am getting older, I don't want the old age flub to set in so I vowed to get back into it.

As I was saying, the trainer put me through some tests to get a good idea of my fitness level. I was pleased to find out that I was really close to where I was when I stopped lifting weights. This gave me a lot of encouragement to continue....:cool:
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good job JB! Keep on the road to health! I quit about 4 years ago, hmm maybe 5. Best thing I ever did for myself. This way you can become one of the hated "old people" the other youngster was flappin about! :roflmao:
  3. JohnnyBiker

There are other motivation as well. I need to concentrate on cardiovascular workouts as well. Need to keep that heart going good and strong. When you are shaping flub into muscle, one cannot forget about the heart because it is harder to pump blood through muscle. (Density). :D
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Good for ya. Just be careful to not push yourself too much. You're old enough now - whether ya want to hear it or not - that your joints may not be able to keep up with your strength, unless you give 'em a chance by working up slowly.
  5. JohnnyBiker

You are so right on here Red... The PT said the same thing yesterday and I figured as much. I am planning to start off light and gradually work up back to weight. I am looking for more of a toning workout rather than a all out expand your nuts type workout. I like dead weights though more of a workout IMO. what do you think?
  6. Red Rider

Free weights (vs. fixed machine-type) are better because they work far more supporting micromuscle combinations, but that also means when you are lifting them you should reduce the amount of weight as compared to fixed machine type weight systems.
  7. JohnnyBiker

I agree. I am putting together a chart with weight intervals with amounts of sets and reps and exercise type. Should work pretty slick. I am also entertaining the thought of hiring this PT for a time to assist with getting a good routine put together... Hot Rider will most likely follow suite....
  8. Red Rider

Back in the early '90's my wife & I got a PT to get us in better shape (we were both active duty then and I was coming off another surgery and needed to get fit for a field op). It was very useful, but we only needed a few weeks before we had enough knowledge and motivation to carry on ourselves.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. JohnnyBiker

This guy will cut us a deal for both Hot Rider and I so I think I may try this for a couple of months...
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my ol'lady gives me more cardiovascular workouts than i can handle!!!!!:)
  11. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

That the kind I like, but hate that cuss word "exercise" :roflmao:
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Bragger! :roflmao:
  13. HarleyCharlie

HarleyCharlie New Member

Good to hear.. I quit smoking 5 yrs ago , best thing I ever did
  14. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

JB, good plan. I worked out and played sports as a kid, then kinda let it get away for a while. Started working out 5 days a week when my oldest daughter born ... she is 27 now and I never stopped. Part of my lifestyle. Good deal is as I have gotten older, have not had to stop the things I really like. I actually weigh 5 lbs less than when I graduated from HS. At one point I have been 50 or 60 lbs heavier than I am now. Have not changed weight more than 5 or 6 lbs in 25 years. Unfortunately it hangs on me a bit differently... can't do too much about that, but you can fight off time a bit.
  15. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Also drink all the beer I want ... gotta stay balanced!!
  16. JohnnyBiker

I am in a little bit of pain right now. I started to work on my upper body and arms yesterday. Man, I haven't had this feeling in my arms since I was 13-14. I am doing full range exercises with weight. (I think that I didn't stretch good enough). I think that I really need that Personal Trainer to help get me going. Like I said earlier, I want to get back to being toned and well defined. :cool:
  17. JohnnyBiker

Well, I had my first session with my personal trainer. I think this was a good investment. In my first session I relearned the value of good posture and of course effective stretching. My legs are a little bit like Jello today, I can defiantly tell that I was working my lower body. I worked on squat technique mainly yesterday....

I went for a ride and felt different there as well. Sometimes my right hip and leg would feel like it was cramping up. I didn't have that happen yesterday. Stretching is so awesome...
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Heck yea !

We both got younger wifes.

I need to be able to walk the next day from the workouts man.
    Need time to recover. Glad she leaves and goes to work so I can workout on the couch some .:D
    I need my nap time.......:rant:

And whatever you do, Don't Wake me UP !
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I do a combination of isometrics (Charles Atlas style), pushups, and free weights. I warm up by stretching and walking. The actual routine takes maybe 20 to 30 minutes a day, 2 or 3 times a week.
  20. JohnnyBiker

I am not into the pushups. I like the free weights as well. As far as my warmup i do the treadmill for about 15 min to get the heart rate up then I go to the weights. I work upper half one day, then the next I do the lower half and keep rotating like that.... Very Effective...:cool: