1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Would hate for this to happen on a bike.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Apr 5, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. willymax4

willymax4 New Member

that'll definetly max out the pucker factor.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, not a lot of time for reaction time, be glad and hope it never happens on a bike. You could see the wood bouncing on the truck bed, which is why you never keep behind one.
    You ever had a semi tire explode next to you when riding, those pieces of torn up tread can kill you. :mad:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

According to Mythbusters that's not true (the truck tire thing) LOL

That would have knocked you off a bike, it's why you want to stay back
    as far as possible (or ahead of them)

Question is, wtf was she filming, and why,
    One hand on wheel, filiming with phone,

Also another reason why left lane bandits should be ticketed,
    the driver with the trailer should have moved to the right.
  5. FLHTbiker

Obviously they have never had a truck tire blow and the tread hit your car/pickup. I did on I-80 once. Truck was in the right lane I was in the left and passing when it blew. Left front retread on the tailer let loose and a big piece hit my truck. Just glad I was not on the bike.
    Was wondering why the drive was filming also. She could have lost her hand or a bit to her left, her head. :rolleyes:
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I used to work for the state and one of my jobs was cleaning up debris of the road - most of it was semi tires that had blown off trucks - some of those scraps weighed in at 100# - if one of them hit you on a bike I don't think it would just bounce off it would more than likely take many of your body parts with it. Only a matter of time until the law of averages catch up and some rider is going to find out the hard why ya don't tag along behind on alongside a semi truck doing 70 mph on the road. Being a retired driver myself I've had tires explode while driving and it sounded like a cannon going off and thats from the cab - hate to think what it would be like like if you were beside the tire when it goes. Pucker factor off the charts.
  7. FLHTbiker

Sounded like a cannon :gah:
    When I am passing a semi even on a two lane I will always move to the far left side of my lane. I can't believe it when I see riders hugging right up next to a semi when passing. :rolleyes:
  8. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You kidding me, here on Long Island the smaller the woman the bigger the SUV. AND, she'll be putting on makeup, drinking coffee, texting and putting a bottle in the babies mouth who is sitting in the back seat. You look at her funny and she'll flip you the bird and curse you out. I love NY...:rant:
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I had a buddy who lived on LI and commuted to the city by car, sales stuff
    so he bought a repo'd BMW 3 series, painted bright BMW Red (Orange)

He'd be making a turn and some nut would try and cut in on him, he'd just push out
    lean out the window, say "hey go ahead I don't mind blue paint on my car, you want some orange on yours?" LOL Then to merge on the LIE he'd just look to the right, and down like he lost something or was looking for something, anywhere but into traffic, people would just hit the brakes or weave and make room, never had a merge issue.

l
  10. Fatboy128

Ha!! I used to commute also until 9/11 (that's a whole nother story, sniff) I sometimes would weave frantically on the get on ramp (if they wouldn't let me in) banging the walls I would say, then they all would slam on the brakes and I would casually pull-in. Gots lots of middle digits but so what, I'm in!
  11. FLHTbiker

Got news for you that's not exclusive to N.Y. :rolleyes:
  12. FLHTbiker

I'm glad I live in the Pacific NW :)
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:roflmao::roflmao: We do that in Sota too!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  14. Fatboy128

Furgitaboutit!:cool: