1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

You know you're a biker if

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Tiny86, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

- Your wife has ever asked you to move the bike so she could see the TV better.
    - You have ever had to borrow a helmet for your date.
    - Your best friends are named after reptiles.
    - You own more black T-shirts then underwear.
    - Taking your wife on a cruise means a putt down the interstate.
    - Sturgis is your dream vacation.
    - You ever quit a job to go to Sturgis.
    - You only took the job to pay for your trip to Sturgis.
    - Your only three piece suit is a leather jacket, leather vest and chaps.
    - Your ol' lady can only eat a hot dog if it's suspended from a string above your bike.
    - You buy your 3-year old niece a Harley Davidson T-shirt.
    - You can identify bugs by taste.
    - You think BLACK & ORANGE would make nice house colors.
    - You think GOD invented winter just as a good time to get your bike painted.
    - People know your a biker even when you don't want them to.
    - One of your children or pets have either "Harley" or "Davidson" in their name.
    - People have nearly died of starvation looking at all of your bike/run pictures.
    - Over half the pictures you take have your bike in it.
    - You stare longer at the pictures of the bikes in Easyriders than the naked women.
    - You don't go a day without wearing something that says "Harley Davidson".
    - The weather is too bad for riding and you start your bike and sit on it in the garage.
    - You get hit by a car, break your leg, then tell the nice police officer, "I'm fine I can ride home".
    - You see no use in going to a bar without bikes in front.
    - You dream of owning a Harley dealership.
    - You have a refrigerator in the garage just for beer.
    - You pile boxes and laundry on your car, but your bike must have 6 feet or clearance in the garage.
    - Every time you hear a vehicle with headers you look for a Harley.
    - When you plan a vacation you set up time to visit the bike shops first.
    - You have all the tools to work on every Harley ever made, but not any to work on your ol'lady's car.
    - It's impossible to see out of your car or trucks rear window because of all the Harley stickers.
    - You refer to your bike as if it had a legal first name
    - You have a heater in your garage so you can work on your bike(s) when it's cold.
    - Your Christmas list has no words, just part numbers.
    - Every magazine you subscribe to has the word "Biker" on it somewhere.
    - One area of your house (other then the garage) is decorated in a motorcycle motif.
    - Every time you spend money, you think about what you could'a bought for your bike.
    - They celebrate your birthday at the Harley store.
    - You think 'Helmet Hair' is a fashion statement.
    - You encourage your kids to go to the Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute instead of college.
    - Your dog and your wallet are both on chains.
    - You fainted when you met Willie G.
    - Jack Daniel's makes your list of "most admired people".
    - You've spent more on your motorcycle than your Education.
    - You have at least one ashtray which is actually a motorcycle part.
    - You think that the Harley-Davidson plant should be one of the 7-wonders of the world.
    - When she says "It's the bike or me!!" you have to think about it really hard.
    - You spend more time polishing your bike than caressing your woman.
    - You have more locks on your bike than you do your house.
    - Anyone who doesn't ride is just 'ok'.
    - You can think of at least ten things we forgot on this page.
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

When your dog hears a Harley he stops what he's doing and follows the sound.

A couple of years ago I had my dog at a kennel for a week. The woman told me that she was walking him one day when she heard a Harley in the distance. The dog stopped everything and looked towards the sound until it was gone. Even the ex's dog, after I'd been gone over a year, recognized the sound of my motorcycle and got all excited when he heard me coming. :roflmao:
  3. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

My two dogs get all excited when they hear the bike coming... There are several H-D's in the neighborhood, but they recognize mine. Won't even budge for anyone else's... :)
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

mine too. my wife says they get up and head for the door and she can't even hear me coming but they can. pretty cool.
  5. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Dogs

SIX WEEKS AGO ,TWO BLOCKS FROM MY HOME ,IN THE AFTERNOON WHILE TAKING MY SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TO MCDONALD'S FOR A CHEESEBURGER SHE HAD TO HAVE,WE STRUCK A LARGE DOG AS IT RAN ACROSS THE STREET IN FRONT OF US WITHOUT WARNING. I WAS ACCELERATING TO THE 45 MPH SPEED LIMIT AT THE TIME AND WAS DOING 35 MPH AT CONTACT. MY DAUGHTER WAS IMMEDIATELY THROWN OFF BUT I REMAINED WITH THE BIKE.WE BOTH SUFFERED ROAD RASH AND I SUSTAIN A BROKEN FOOT WHEN THE 900 LBS. OF THE ULTRACLASSIC LANDED ON IT.IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE IF WE HAD NOT BEEN WEARING HELMETS.SHE HAS HEALED VERY WELL THANKS TO EXCELLENT WOUND CARE,BUT I AM STILL LIMPING ALONG ON A WALKING BOOT BRACE. SHE WILL NO LONGER BE RIDING WITH ME [ SHE HAD BEEN FOR 4 YRS. WITHOUT INCIDENT ] BECAUSE I COULD NOT HANDLE HER GETTING HURT AGAIN AND I CAME TO MY SENSES ABOUT PUTTING HER AT RISK.NOW MY ACTUAL POINT IS THAT IT WILL COST $8500.00 DOLLARS PLUS A $500.00 DEDUCTIBLE TO REPAIR THE BIKE [ I COULD PURCHASE A NEW SPORTSTER WITH THAT MONEY ] AND IT IS TAKING TWO MONTHS TO GET THE PAINTED PARTS FROM HD TO THE SHOP.PROGRESSIVE INS. RECCOMENDED A SHOP THAT GUARANTEES THEIR WORK FOR THE LIFE OF THE BIKE. I HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED THAT HARLEY PUT THEIR MOTORCYCLES OUT OF THE REACH OF THE COMMON MAN WITH THEIR HIGH PRICES AND IT IS THESE VERY RIDERS THAT MADE THE COMPANY WHAT IT IS TODAY. THE MARKUP ON THEIR ACCESSORIES AND CLOTHING IS UTTERLY REDICULOUS AND IT HAS BECOME A SYMBOL OF THE RIDERS FINANCIAL STATUS TO AQUIRE AND WEAR HD PRODUCTS.I LOVE MY BIKE BUT IT TOOK ME TILL I WAS IN MY 60'S TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD WHAT I NOW WEAR AND RIDE TODAY. I WENT FROM AN 883 TO AN ELECTRAGLIDE STANDARD TO MY 2006 ULTRACLASSIC IN THE COLOR OF DRAGONFLY GREEN & VIVID BLACK. THE ONLY EQUIPMENT NOT ON THE BIKE IS THE GPS WHICH I FELT WAS TOO DISTRACTING AND I THOROUGHLY ENJOY ALL THE OTHER BELLS AND WHISTLES ON MY BIKE.I HAVE OF COURSE ADDED TO THE BIKE IN THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF TO MAKE IT MORE PERSONAL BUT IT HAS BEEN COSTLY. THE JAPANESE ARE GOING TO PUT HD OUT OF BUSINESS IF THEY DON'T CHANGE THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES, THANKS FOR LISTENING'
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That sucks! At least you and your daughter are OK. It could've been much worse. (As a side note, my dogs are in a fenced in yard that is never opened and they cannot get out.) I agree with you, the prices are astronomical but what are you gonna do? If you want a new one you must pay the price, or try to find a used one. :banghead: It's a shame that your daughter will not ride with you anymore, she will be missing out on it, but I understand your point.
  7. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Dog Dead

Her Mother Is Adamant About Her Staying Of The Bike And Would Like To See Me Give It Up. I Don't Smoke,drink,hunt,fish Or Participate In Any Activity That Does Not Involve My Family Except For My Bike.i Work 6-7 12 Hr. Shifts Bi-weekly As A Healthcare Professional And I Have 40 Yrs, Experience Dealing With Life And Death Involving Severe Illnesses Of The Newborn To The Very Old.my Bike Is My Primary Transportation And It Is An Extention Of My Heart And Soul.i Ride Because I Can And I Love It Because It Fulfills A Need To Be Free But In Control.my Bike Is More Of A Need Then An Activity Or Hobby.i Have Ridden For 35 Years And Although I Would Like To Do What My Wife And Daughter Are Asking Me To Do, I Just Can't Take That Next Step.i Guess It Is A Kind Of Addiction And There Are Risk That Come With It That I Am Willing To Take.i Am Well Insured And So Is My Baby.i Intend To Continue To Ride Till I Can Not Physically Get On My Bike. Thank You For Your Reply.
  8. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

speaking of dogs,
    i have lab, and his name is cheif, for the most part cheif stays home,but every now and then he wonders,its the dam dogs in heat that make him stray!! so when one of my family members finally notice him missing.all i have to do is fire up the harley. and make the block,wich is 1 square mile
    usally he is sitting on the porch before i can make the block.ooooooo is he one sneaky dog......the messed up part.....he knows hes in trouble.......but for some reason.....the bike makes him head home........think that has anything to do with i have always used the harley to llook for him every since he was a pup????
    etheir way.....he knows the sound of my bike...thats for sure.......

TRG
  9. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

frxmas,

hey ....how did the dog fair???did he make it???
    and what is daughters opinion about all of this??? does she still want to ride???
    some people just have that passion, to ride.
    i have been in your shoes, and i know the burden that ways on your mind. but in my case, my daughter has the same passion as i do, and we healed together. for me, it was trying to justify that there was nothing i could do, and life just sometimes thows a curve ball out of no where. and it was my daughter that explained that to me.......go figure
    and regarless who it is on the back of my bike......they willlllllllll have a helment on!!!!

TRG
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I also ride with that responsibility....my daughter at age 6 LOVES to ride with her old man..... She always has on all the gear. I can do no more to protect her short of not allowing her to ride. I just ride extra careful, (more so then usual), and know that someday, something may happen. I will try to avoid that day like the plague, and will have to deal with it if/when it comes.
  11. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Good for you! If that's all you do, then do it! Life is too short to worry about making EVERY single person happy. Granted it IS your wife and daughter but they have to understand your position on this. I am like you, if I am not at work, I am home with my family, or working in my office running my business. The ONLY thing I do outside of home is ride my bike. I agree with AFnurse, my daughter loves to ride with me, and I do my absolute best to keep her safe. Keep ridin and keep livin, and enjoy your family as long as you're here! Good luck!
  12. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

"You stare longer at the pictures of the bikes in Easyriders than the naked women."
    I had the mag home before I realized there were women in the photos also. Then my first thought was "their going riding in that?"

"When she says "It's the bike or me!!" you have to think about it really hard."
    I did think at all, I told her, bad plan to go there woman, I plan to raise my boy and and we will miss you.