1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Zumo 550

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 14, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Know I've heard the question before about GPS units. Been lookin at them a while for myself. The Zumo 550 is what I am interested in. It has a touch screen, and buttons too. It comes with a adapter for the motorcycle and for the auto. It comes with a plug for the motorcycle. YOu can bluetooth yer cell phone threw it.
    The unit is totally water proof. It has a motorcycle for a Icon that shows where you are. It has a woman that talks to you and tells you when to turn. If you are lost you can have home saved and tell it to take you home.
    PCnation has the best price on the units if anybody is interested.
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Yep, you're right, they do have the best price but they don't have the units. I ordered one and it has been backordered. I've been looking for one to use on PGR rides. Often, all you have is an address to go on and this one will do the job. Thanks,
  3. cardboard

You can also git the Zumo 550 from these folks

Garmin zumo 550 0100056700 GAZUMO550 - TheNewConnection

It is against the law to do this but if somebody has the need.
    You can git a Nolan N102 modular helment.

Then git the Ncom equiptment to go in the helment and blue tooth yer mobile phone and headset to the zumo and now you can hear the lady give you directions so you don't have to glance down as much on the Zumo Gps.
    And if yer mp rings you can touch a icon on the screen and talk on the phone.
    But realize this is very dangerous if yer not multi tasked.

NOLAN N102 NCOM SOLIDS
  4. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I did get the Zumo 550 for my bike and it works great. I do have a bluetooth earpiece to hear the directions but don't use it unless I really need to. A lot of our PGR staging areas are given as addresses and trying to find them can sometimes be a pain. The gps solves this problem. I don't use the phone feature at all. I can see where it would be too distracting. It may not be for everybody but I like it.
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I jerry rigged a motorcycle mount for an IWay 250 GPS...... not waterproof until I put the samwhich bag over it....worked well with the same bag for 4300+ miles for my sturgis run last year!! Not the greatest GPS in the world, BUT, it works, easy to operate, and with samich bag, is now waterproof!!! :D

oh, and about 400$ cheaper then the Zumo!!
  6. cardboard

who's bluetooth earpiece did youg git. Been lookin at the N-Com made by nolan that goes in their N-102 helment. :fight:
  7. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I have the Motorola that hooks over the ear. I have a half helmet and it would not accommodate the built-in type. I was a little worried the first time I used it that the wind may take it off but it held OK. Like I said, I don't use it unless I have to. You can watch the screen and it will tell you all you need to know. You really have to make yourself not watch it so much that you get distracted. It could be dangerous.
  8. cardboard

Been over at
    ZumoForums

Tryin tp understand everything these folks talk about on wired and bluetooth headsets and some on Helments. I got a Nolan N102 helment. The problem is it looks like you need a basic kit to have the ear phones and mic. then if you want go go blue tooth, there are several different ways to go. Blue tooth is the electronics, battery pack etc. It is expensive. I would like to go bluetooth but don't want to mess my helment up not knowing what is what and when these folks talk they git over my head with me not ever of worked with this kind of stuff., Looks like the N-Com stuff works well in the Nolan N-102 Modular helment. :wtf:
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Most bluetooth devices (gps phone etc) have an id,

You might be able to get a cellular earpiece and sync it with the GPS so that it would play backthough the earpiece, maybe

If you have one for a cell phone I'd see if it would hook to the GPS.
  10. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

The one I use is for a cell phone and works perfectly with the GPS.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There you go...

Only Issue I have with a GPS is looking down at it, got one for the wife in the car, try not to focus on it, really just pay attention for the turn information.

On a bike you could really get in trouble if you find yourself checking that screen all the time. JMO
  12. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I have a GPS in all my vehicles and have been using them for several years. The biggest problem comes when you try to enter an address or location when you're driving. It's just like dialing a cellphone. In my truck, the GPS was factory installed and it disables most of the buttons when the truck is in motion. You can do that on the others but you have to select the option and I'll bet most people leave them active. I will not try entering anything on the bike when moving. It is just too dangerous.
  13. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. cardboard

Looks nice slim. Remember when you leave yer bike to take it off and put it in yer pocket.:fight: