1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'04-07 Sportster issue.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

So far switching engine cases and rocker boxes with another guy has been a learning experience. In 06, Harley increased the shifter shaft diameter, making the primary case no longer an easy remove and reinstall. In my latest problem, I have found the parts catalogue shows 07 and later rocker boxes as a different part# than the 06 and down. I know on 07 fuel injection came out, and now there is a CH temp sensor on the head,but what differences in the rocker boxes could there be? Oiling passages look the same and valvetrain geometry is same from what I have read.
    I was told by one Harley tech that the difference was the design of the breather system, was this EPA related? Visually all looks like an easy swap, but I think the oil breather in the lower rocker boxes has a lower height than the older '04 rocker boxes. Anybody have any info on this? Internet searched for awhile on the weekend to come up with no more info than I already have.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Do the 07 ' s utilize the external breather bolts?
  3. Roadster guy

The 07 uses the breather bolts as does the 04. On the 04 the breather bolts help to center and hold down the air cleaner backing plate. The small plastic breathers themselves look almost the the same, but the 07's may be a hair shorter in height.
    Called HammerPerf. Talked to Dan. He says no problems with using the rocker boxes from the 07 on my 04. So I guess much ado about nothing. I still would like to have the part # change explained, but some mysteries are not meant to be solved.
    Got a price on the Patriot exhaust. Once I get over the exchange rate shock, I'll have to order it, price was pretty good.
  4. JohnnyBiker

I am waiting on pulling the trigger on that exhaust. I like my Basanni ' s too much.
  5. Roadster guy

Well, for the money, how can you not? That is a sweet price at what they offer it for, the D&D Bobcat was almost $600 more!
    For their price, it's almost worth it to have it for a spare, and with my local area looking at noise bylaw for next year if I get the Bobcat and it is too loud I'm screwed, at least the Patriot system I may be able to lower the decibels a bit.
  6. Roadster guy

If I go Patriot system, my stock crossover pipe needs to come off. The three large bolts that hold it to the engine look like they maybe help hold the cases together? I assume they must go back in even if they no longer have a crossover pipe to hold. They are under the front pulley cover.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Sorry man but you lost me? I think you are asking if that cross over pipe helps keep the case together? The answer is no. Your pipes get mounted to a bracket that is on the frame. It isn't behind the pulley.
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

There should be an exhaust pipe bracket that attaches to the frame, not the engine.
  9. Roadster guy

I'll get some pics up on here, it will be more clear when you see it. Basically it is a bracket that holds the hidden crossover pipe for the stock exhaust, the bracket is mounted behind the pulley cover with three large bolts, and the rear brake master cylinder rod passes through it. The bolts are large and long, and appear to do more than just attach a crossover pipe.
  10. Roadster guy

Here's the pics I took, hopefully makes it a bit clearer. The crossover pipe is set up just below where it attaches. It is big, ugly, heavy, and I will not miss it when I remove it for the Patriot pipes.

Attached Files:

11. JohnnyBiker

Did you ask Dan at Hammer Performance what the hell that thing is when you last spoke to him? My bike does not have that so I have no idea what it is.
  12. Roadster guy

Oh, I know what it is. A big, heavy, ugly, crossover pipe to take the place of the one on the old Sportys that was underneath the air cleaner. 2-1 exhaust will clean up this kind of stuff.
  13. joshbob

Or a set of open drag pipes ;).
  14. Roadster guy

Drag pipes aren't my thing, but thanks for the thought. My neighbors and I get along and I'd like to keep it that way.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

drag pipes suck for performance unless you run the 1/4 drags hence... Drag Pipes...

That's a crossover, to balance the exhaust pulses from one cyl to the next helps scavenge the exhaust, improves flow like an X pipe or cross over on a car...
  16. Roadster guy

Yeah, I didn't really want to get the whole drag pipe discussion started on here, kind of like when you guys get all fired up over synthetic over dyno oils...;););)
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

don't break it in with syn, use dyno
    and don't run it very long without air
    going across the engine, never exceed 2400 rpm in the first
    3 minutes, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
  18. joshbob

Oh, come on, I was just joshin' about drag pipes. However, they work, look and sound great on my little 60 HP motor :p.