1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

07 street glide issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 07bluerider, Mar 22, 2013.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

i agree ! as you well know guys I am all about test it first find the cause and if so replace the part ! don't ever replace the part just cause you read it on the internet . any how . HRK I made up for him all new cables two extra grounds on that 124 , we run two batt . I hid one in his bag and ran cables so that you cant see them from the back of the bags pulled start up timing out of it . I have been in that primary so many times . I think the cover will just jump off If my hands just get close to it. but I gotta tell ya . that all balls starter clutch did the trick it started like a stock bike all the way home . hot restarts I cringed even holding the compression releases down I would cringe! . with that clutch starts awesome .
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I agree with HRK...check the free stuff first...and the second ground is a good idea and it works...I remember back when the S&S 96" was the king of the hill...and one of their tech tips was to run a second ground....
  3. Lucifer

It's part of the kit....I don't know why,but there must be a reason...
  4. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

So what size wire for ground. Is the second ground just in case the other is faulty? Not sure I understand second ground. If you have a good ground what is the need for two or why not run bigger ground. Not a big deal to run another. Just asking.:confused:
  5. baggerpaul

ok ! now then big mistake in dc electrical is there is no power on the ground circuit ! ground is the return of current in the dc circuit . no ground no power !so if I have weak amount of ground I have very low amps and current flow! now if I add a kick ass starter to the stock amount of current flow and I ask of the circuit to provide the amperage as I load the circuit with weak grounds . I end up with slim to none . even a stock starter with grounds that have broken down over time will struggle with bad grounds . any how the more redundant grounds I can add close to the starter as possible will increase current flow also a dc starter motor as it turns will get hot and will require more amperage if my grounds are not up to the task current will tryu to flow back up the positive side and create resistence in the circuit and starter will drag . in English terms I end up with a shat load of voltage drop in the circuit!good grounds are your friend and star washers as well. 2 AWG IS MORE THAN ENOUGH!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. Lucifer

Same size as your battery cables... # 4 AWG I believe it is....
  7. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Makes since. Thanks. Nice explanation.:cool:
  8. Lucifer

Like Paul said #2 is more than enough...so if you go to autozone or any automotive place 4 AWG minimum....less voltage drop the larger the cable...
  9. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Ok here goes next question. Pardon me for my ignorance. So I'm looking at the starter. I have two reds at top. I do know these are positive. Then have green pin connector middle right side. Diagram shows it ground. I also see a rubber boot covering a wire going from field coil (starter) to solenoid. I see on wire diagram the red and see the gn. I don't see on the diagram the wire connecting field coil to solenoid. Is it hot or ground? I don't see where I can run an additional ground from. I guess the real question is where would I hook up a #2 awg. That's pretty big isn't it?
  10. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Run it from the Neg. post on your battery to any bolt on the starter case itself. Use a star washer.
  11. baggerpaul

You have two allen bolts that hold starter to primary case hook the ground cable from there to batt neg. And leave the back bone. To batt neg hooked up also
  12. Lucifer

If it's your original battery...take it with you when you go for the cable and get it load tested....I think most auto supply stores can do that for you...
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You can buy a load tester from Harbor Freight and they work good plus they are inexpensive. :)
  14. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Well s*** that sounds simple enough. I have a rep for over thinking things. That sounds simple. Even shows it on wire diagram. So why the hell didn't HD put it on there.:wtf:So a #2 awg that sounds really big. I don't think auto parts carry anything that big. Sounds like I have a lot to do before the riding season gets here.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There is a guy that makes the wires for you if you are interested. I have been referred to him. If you are interested, let me know and I will get you his information. His wires are supposed to be really good.
  16. baggerpaul

I can make ya custom cables that will fit perfect from batt to starter and tees off with another ground to the back bone . I have all the copper lugs that are the correct size . I will solder them and shrink wrap the for you they will look and fit like factory . Let me know . I would be more than happy to help.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

A standard ground cable from Napa will do the trick, did it on my Heritage
    bolt it to the starter mounting bolt run up in the frame to the battery and
    attach with the stock ground cable to the battery. simple enough.

Did you pull the green wire and check the V yet...
  18. Lucifer

A 2AWG would be very low resistance and V drop,but it's not that long a run so there wouldn't be much drop in a little smaller cable...Measure how long you need,then go to the auto parts store...2,3 or 4AWG would do the job....6AWG might be a little small....whatever gauge the stock battery cables are will work fine...
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I ordered a set of Yoopers Cables. :cool:
  20. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

From who? Yoopers?