1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

07 street glide issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 07bluerider, Mar 22, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

His name is Richard and is out of Madison Wisconsin. I ordered them about 10 minutes ago, he will have them shipped to me by Wed. this week and here by Friday or Sat. If you want his information, I will give it to you...
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if Rich is still making Yooper Cables..

But you don't need a custom cable, Napa has them in various lengths, most
    auto parts stores will, just measure the distance and add a couple of inches for twists
    n turns.

Should cost you very little and they will have the proper ends, not the big auto battery
    cable, just a good old ground cable, the store in my area has all kinds of them.
  3. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

I have a video I made of this starter kickback. I tried to send but the system wont let me. unless I just don't know how to send it. I could text it or email it if someone wants to hear it.
  4. hotroadking

upload it to youtube and post a link...
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Very good idea running 2 grounds with the big motors and starters these days. Several guys here I know have done the same thing. Love going to school here!
  6. hotroadking

I know Richard pretty well, I'll call him and make sure your cables are a 1/2
    inch short for ya, because no project is complete without some stuff ya need at the last minute that won't fit and you can't get replaced for a week :roflmao:
  7. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Is a busted bleeding knuckle extra. Can't forget the busted knuckle on any project. Sometimes I usually just go ahead and bust one just to get it out of the way that way I also know how it got there.:D :roflmao:
  8. hotroadking

Yep, busted knuckles and grease under your nails that won't come out
    coupled with grease and dirt in your finger skin that's dryed out, then of course
    you have to drop ashes in that clean part or down on yer shirt and burn a hole in it...
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Goes with the territory. I never remember to wear latex gloves when I wrench, so my hands always get like that plus all dried out and cracked.
  10. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

There's latex glove??:D
  11. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Doing a little before and after check. Performed voltage drop test this morning. Battery was at 12.7 volts when bike is started voltage drops to 9.something. This is be for new ground is installed. On my way now to get cable will install today some time and check again. Also had 14.3 or so when bike is running.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. hotroadking

I'd say something is wrong with the battery...

Take it with you and get it properly load tested
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Think so too...I don't think it supposed drop to single digit volts when you hit the starter...just did a search...a couple of places said.... The volts should not drop below 9.6 volts when the starter engages...but that's from the internet....I don't think it should drop that much....something tells me 10.5V ,but I'm not 100% sure...
  14. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Yea sounds low to me too. Baggerpaul say around 11.4. Having a beer (pitcher):D eating some pizza then picking up ground wire and taking battery for test will re-install and give update. Wish I could find more knowledgeable guys around here I would share my beer with you for all the help.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If ya go to NAPA...their motosickle batteries are made by Deka...good batteries...If they're $80-90. bux...if your battery fails the test ....take one,and a ground strap...

:cheers: beers...Got that covered...:D...

Did ya ever check the volts on that green wire HRK sed to check??
  16. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

+1 that batt has some low cells . weak !!!!!!:D I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE ASKED IF HE CHANGED THE CABLE BEFORE I ANSWERD. LMFAO!
  17. baggerpaul

IM turning over a 98 ci with 200 ccp with a stock starter and stock east pen batt and good grounds . youll fix it new batt and good grounds !she will start like a champ
  18. baggerpaul

one thing that does come to mind that is very over looked is that starter jack shaft bolt. should not be over torqued! should be snug and lock tab keeps it in place that's it!
  19. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Took battery in and had it tested. 12.8 volts fully charged. Also did load test. It came out 382. Before ground I had 9.4 volts during start up. Pulled starter and removed all paint where new ground was installed. I now have 10.8 volt during start up. However I did forget to check voltage at green that HRK suggested. Oh and no busted knuckles this time.:D
  20. baggerpaul

good deal ill take 10.8 I voltage came up so did the amperage ! think about it you had 1,4 volts of drop on the return side bet you were down quite a bit of amperage . with that 1,7 kw stater motor :eek:

bad grounds eat starters for dinner:puke: AND SPIT THEM OUT!