1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'08 Harley new throttle control

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by steveb, Apr 13, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow, just another reason i love my carb!!!!!!!!!:)
    sorry to hear of your problems......
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

This sounds very unusual but I don't think its an issue concerning Throttle by Wire, as that wasn't introduced until the 2008 model year.

Maybe related (or not) but my truck had a faulty throttle position sensor cause it to surge in much the same manner you described. I would find a reputable dealer to look at it.
  3. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

kenfused

Thanks For The Input On The Throttle Problem. Just Started The Bike Up, Took Five Minutes To Get Down To 1500 Rpm From 2000. Then I Has To Pull Back On The Throttlew To Get It To 1100. Might Have Too Take A Ride Too The Shop This Week----------------thanks
  4. viking

viking New Member

fast idle

I ride an 08 streetglide and it is very senstive to this idle problem.I am being very careful not to be turning the throttle when I shut down the bike.I use my right hand to turn the key off.I have also used the kill swtich being careful not to touch the thorttle,but it still will fire up at fast idle and stay there sometimes.It is easy to reset by turning the key on and off a bunch of times but this is a pain in the but.I also worry about the starter and the switch failing due to over use.Next trip to the dealer I am going to demand they do something to fix this properly.I did not pay all that money for a bike that has a mind of it's own.
    Viking
  5. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I have an 08 Streetglide manufactured 11/07. I have a normal idle always after the bike has warmed up.Only time is has a high idle is on a cold motor and drops down as motor warms up.If bike is parked for more than 2 or 3 hours it will high idle a little on start up at first until motor is warm and drops back down.

Have no issues at all with the throttle or idle.
  6. viking

viking New Member

sounds like yours is operateing normally.Mine was a february build maybe you are on to something.
  7. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Viking

Dont Know When It Was Built. I Bought It First Of April. My Friend Bought One A Month Latersame Kind(08 Ultra). We Always Ride Together. His Never Surges Like Mine. And For The Dealer To Say The Problem Is I Am Shutting It Down At 2000 Rpm. Not. Going To The Dealer This Week, Or To My Lawyer. Thanks
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

I was discussing this with a guy at the dealership the other day and he said one of the things that mess up the throttle by wire is if you try to roll the throttle back to get it off of the fast idle . He said if you do that you have to go thru a sequence of shutting down the bike and turning it back on 5 times to reset the ECM.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 03 Efi E Glide started to rev high when cold or warmed up it's set to idel at 1000 but jumps up to 1500 to about 1900 then's comes back down it never did this in the past & at 54k miles could it be the intake gaskets going bad? I have sprayed wd to check for leaks but no changed in idel :gah:
  10. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Steveb

On Top Of All The Other Problems, I Dont Want To Go Through A Starter. Doing This To The Bike Is Only A Ban-dade. The Problem Should Be Fixed, Not Put Under The Rug.
  11. steveb

steveb Active Member

Terry if you have a '07 Ultra ,do you have the cableless throttle control like the '08?
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

he should have throttle cables.

Might be an intake leak.

If under warranty take it to the dealer...
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

Unless the the cables are hanging up some how.
  14. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Throttless

MY 07 HAD THROTTLESS GRIPS, NO PROBLEM. MY 08 HAS THEM, AND I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE SURGING----:rant:
  15. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Well if you look on your bike you can the find the month and year it was made or look on the "birth certificate"that the dealer may have give you when you bought it. May be a problem on certain runs during the manufactoring process.....

Terry Chill out man!!!No use to use upper caps and yell at us! We never sold you a bike...lol....And I'am still confused as to what year of bike you have?

If you have an 07 it has throttle cables.If you have an 08 it has no cables.The throttle issues people are complaining about that I have read on here is 08 cabeless throttles.

Contacting the Motor Company may prove be more cost effective with results than a blood sucking Attorney. Just a word during your frustration that may prove to save you some green stamps!!
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I've heard of some issues with the ride by wire throttles on some bikes sold up this way..not a lot but some. Any new Harley I've test ridden ran great with the new setup
  17. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

hdtractor1

good morning; the bike i have is a 08. im thinking it is a throttle sensor that is going bad. i am going to take it to another dealer and see what he says about it. the one i bought it from is thirty miles away. i have one three miles away that everyone stays away from. mabey i will be giving this dealer another chance. wont hurt. thanks
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i heard....not confirmed... that there are some lawsuits againts the moco for deaths resulting from faulty drive by wire throttles.........
  19. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have had my '08 since April and I have 10,000 miles on it. I have had know problems with the throttle by wire. When I first got the bike I would cancel the cruise by rolling back on the thottle. When I did that it did mess up the idle but I did the turn it on and off 5 times and it reset the ECM. Since I learned that doing that with the throttle messed it up and I quit doing it I have not had a problem with a fast idle other than when it is cold for a few minutes it idles fast but slows down as it starts to warm up. Other than that I have had 10,000 trouble free miles the only thing I have done is change oil and filter.
  20. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Keep us posted.....and hope they get the issue handled for you Terry