1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'08 Harley new throttle control

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by steveb, Apr 13, 2008.

1. viking

viking New Member

fast idle

I was at my dealer the other day to see about getting the rear brake fixed (squeal) they are supposed to have a fix for it now.At the same time I talked to them about my fast Idle problem.They tell me they now have a new download to solve the problem.I will keep you posted when I get these things done in a couple of weeks.
    Viking
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds good viking.....question, why a couple of weeks???? they have to order the down load?? or are they still developing it??? just curious why the downtime.....................:)
  3. viking

viking New Member

They are waiting to get some more kits ordered in to fix my rear brake.The dealer is about an hour away from me so I want to do it all in the same visit.The download and the brake.The weather is starting to get cold here so I also have to pick my days to ride up to Ottawa.
  4. chucktx

:) ok, thanks..........was curious......
  5. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

viking

At Least They Know About The Problem With The O8,s. Had The Same Problem With The Back Breaks. They Sprayed Some Stuff On It. Lasted Till I Got Home. Its Like Trying To Pull Teeth With These Dealers Anymore. Let Me Know About The Download To The Bike When You Find Out. Thanks
  6. viking

viking New Member

brakes and Idel problems

The dealer only got a few of these kits to fix the brakes and now they are on back order.They installed a few on other bikes with the same problem and the problem (squeel) was solved.My Idel problem still happens but they are supposed to have a download to fix that now.I live to far from the shop to ride there now (weather,Ice,Snow,Rain)So I will wait for spring.I will let you know how it all works out when I get it done.
    Viking
  7. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Good Morning; I Have A 08 Ultra, 07 Last Year, Same Problem With Them Both. The Rear Wheel Is Pitted. This Happened On Both The Bikes. They New One I Bought Was Only 7 Months Old, And The Rims Were Pitted. In Was Under The Impression That For $25.000, I Would Want The Rims Too Last More Then A Year. Harley Came Through Again.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

On the 08 you can create a high idle by hitting the kill switch while you have the throttle open, vs not at idle.

Say you turn it off at 1800 RPM vs letting it drop to normal, for some reason the ECM remembers the 1800 and it will idle high the next time

The fix is to cycle the ignition about 5 times and don't touch the throttle and it should return to normal idle, while you're waiting on the fix...
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

You can't tell any difference in the Cable system and the TBW system.
    If you notise if you have it on cruise control and you roll the throttle forward it kicks the cruise control off.
    I got 25,000 miles on my 08 TBW.
    Seems like a lot of folks that do not want change git a rumor started.
    Realize the 08 was the 1st year for the TBW bike. They might have a few problems with a very few bikes. But all in all I reall like the TBW.
    No cable to lubricate.
    Changing grips also is easier on the TBw.
    The earlier grips will not fit the TBW bikes.
    When you cut yer switch off don't rev yer bike up let it idle and cut it off.

And if there was some unknown reason anything ever happened to a bike, Harley has a KILL SWITCH ON THE RIGHT HADLE BAR !!

NO I'm not screaming, I'm highlighting.

Enjoy yer bike. It has a bigger TB too. I forgot all the other goodies.
    Oh yea it was the 1st year for Bimbo brakes, they really stop nice too.
  10. chucktx

grips are harder to find as they havent been out that long, i have talked to folks with tbw and they say the responce to increase and decrease rpm's is slower. it doesnt matter to me,,,i like my cables....if one breaks i use a string....done it before. all this boils down to what a person likes. i like staying away from dealers, others love them. as with autos, the puters they have on them, and puter controled bells and whistles, the more the dealership makes from repairs to them as us ol' shade tree'rs aint gonna screw with them..............
    this is my 2 cents worth..............
  11. cardboard

08 bike also has a teflon coated clutch cable , makes it easier to pull.
  12. chucktx

that is a good thing...........
  13. cardboard

Especially when you put a stronger Se diaphram spring so yer clutch don't slip.
    Might even make you kick it into neutral when you stop at a Red light.
  14. Blue and Black

Blue and Black New Member

I have an 08 H-D Ultra-Classic that I bought last year. I had a similar problem with the engine revving up and down. I too could get the idle back to normal by turning the throttle back by hand.
    I took my bike (baby) back to the Dealer where he remapped the computer program and the problem went away.
    I hope that this will be the solution for you as well.
    All the best,
    Blue and Black
  15. cardboard

With the 08 bikes reving up and down they had a fuel filter recall, the plastic cannister that held the fuel filter had a crack in it not maintainin a constant fuel pressure causing it to do that.
  16. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I did some cold room testing on GMs TBW back in 1997. We would take complete production ready prototypes, cars and trucks, soak them in -40F for 24 hours. Then walk - in turn on the key and step on the pedal. We would collect data from limit switches on the pedal and limit switches on the throttle and report on the actuation times for this temp. This was a government mandated test.

I did this kind of testing for several months and never had any problems. I am sure HD isn't re-inventing the wheel and has learned from the auto industry. So I am surprised when I hear of a problem like this, but anything is possible:confused:
  17. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I demoed the '09 Street Glide (FLHX). Man what a sweet bike... Don't know when it will happen, but I am gonna work my butt off to get one in the next couple of years. My future EX-wife (left me in october) destroyed my credit and am working to get it right. May or may not happen, but the FLHX is a sweet bike.:)
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that man....don't let it get you down, I've been thru it myself, you will turn it around and things will get better, just keep a positive attitude.
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I bought my 08 FLHX in Nov.07 Rode all last season put about 7500 miles on it. Have owned alot of Bikes and this one is for sure the best Bike yet!!!
    Not had the first problem other than a fuel filter recall!!!!Never thought I would use the gps on it either,but I do use it way more than I ever thought...good luck to ya!!
  20. cardboard

Man new bikes are great if you can afford them. And they ride so smoothe !