1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

10% Ethanol

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Chrome, Jun 12, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It is very hard for me to take something personally. I would agree that in most cases that if the product doesn't make it into the market on its own, then it means that the either the product or the idea or both are defective. In the case of E85, the government provides subsidies because they are performing R&D. Their claim is that E85 emits less greenhouse gasses, (environment) and they are looking for alternative fuels so we can become less dependent on other countries. I think it is a bunch of bull****, but those are their claims.

There is no such thing as free money. Don't you think that there are a butt load of regs that farmers that grow the corn have to follow. Who sets the market prices? Not the farmers. so if the G-men kick back a percentage, big deal. it really is know different then with our food.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When I say free money its a government subsidy or grant, so it doesn't have to be booked on the balance sheet as a payable (Debt) and it has no interest costs and they never have to pay it back.

Like me giving you $1000 to do whatever you do and no note, loan, or stock for the deal, it's free money, not to you and I because we give it to the government who then decided who to give our money to...

E85 is a boondoggle and will be gone in a few years, not enough vehicles will
    run on it and manuf will stop making them...
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

They don't even sell it here in Oregon at a regular gas station. Its called green fuel like bio diesel. There are places where you can purchase green fuel but not very many. Would love to see all this ethanol gas disappear forever.
  4. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I agree....I see no reason for having Ethanol in the gas if we are not pursuing vehicles that run off of it!!???
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The farmers like it but we could be growing food to feed the hungry instead of a fuel additive.
  6. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Exactly....the gov't needs to get their heads out of their a**
  7. CaptJeff

CaptJeff New Member

The gas treatment you need can be found at your local marine store (ie:West Marine) Outboard motors have had a problem with the 10% gas. Good Luck. CaptJeff
  8. hotroadking

It also drives up the price of food worldwide.

Again a great government program that has the absolute opposite effect needed.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Ethanol is a scam, pure and simple, but too many people - good and bad - are in on it, so we're stuck with it.

It can't be sold year-round in cold weather states, but is in warmer climates. I found that my bike will run on regular (85 octane) gas without ethanol far better than premium with the 10%. Just the way my bike is...but it loves the 93 octane, non-ethanol I've put in it when I was in Oregon and Washington. Wish I could get that here, but we're stuck with CA gas distributors in most of NV.
  10. Chrome

Chrome New Member

FYI...today I found the Startron product at Academy in the boat motor area...7.99
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is great......thanks for the info!!!!!!
  12. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Ethanol is the biggest scam ever put out - it emits less carbon when burned yes, but only because they are are removed at the refinery and guess what - they are put out into the atmosphere! It is a 50/50 product as in 50% waste to get 50% product - very bad considering standard oil is 93% product!

HRK is correct in being pi$$ed off with subsidies for ethanol - throwing your good money after a bad product, and making us choke on it at the pumps!:puke:
  13. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I agree with most of what was said about E85, it will not last. The 10% ethanol in gas is as an oxidizer, to promote cleaner burning with less pollutants. Before that they were using the MTBE, which is a poison and can cause cancer. Ethanol is better than that anyway.

Around here they still sell premium gas with no ethanol, calling it 'recreational fuel'. It is a good idea to use non-ethanol in lawn and garden equipment, particularly 2 stroke engines. I haven't noticed any difference in operation in either my FI bike, or the old carbonated sporty, but then, they never sit around long enough to separate, except winter, when I add the fuel stabilizer).

As far as E-85, it is subsidized by the government. If the idea is to subsidize for a while to get start up costs down, that is one thing. If it ends up like Amtrak, then we are well and truly screwed.
  14. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Really? People in Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota would be surprised to hear that. I use it year around in my 4 wheel vehicles. And trust me, it gets cold here! Like you though, my scooter doesn't like the stuff. I run regular UL if I have to, but prefer the "premium" grade whenever I can find it.

The reason I use it is to supplement the farm economy, and 1 gallon that doesn't come from the middle east or Chavez is worth it to me.

Too bad it wasn't around earlier. Maybe we'd have more farmers, and less congestion in the cities. If farmers could still make a living on 160 acres and there was a farmstead on every mile, this country would be a far better place. It's too bad agricultural welfare didn't work. Much better investment than almost any other form of welfare our government hands out.
  15. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

There is a add in Hotbike August issue on Startron.
    They talk about Ethanol and the problmes it causes.

I was telllin Chucktx about it.

They have it in the marine dept at Walley World.
    Was also trying to talk to the dude I work for that repairs boats and boat motors.
  16. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I could not agree with you more on all of your points. If there were less mass urbanization, the agriculture business in our country would far better off. Corn is used for so many products, why not fuel? It is really no different than BIO Diesel. What a crock of fries. I do not here people craba$$ing about this. Basically the same idea as Ethanol.
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

It was a mistake for the goverment to put ethonol in gas.
    Don't think they realized what they were doing.:rant:
  18. hotroadking

have they ever realized what they were doing LOL