1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1965 T120R Project Build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 1965T120R, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Since I moved back to Nor Calif in the middle of this past May this has been my project bike I am building. The budget for the bike if fixed per month, I am working with a dang fine builder that has a shop 2 country blocks up the road from me, he is allowing me on the pay as we build plan and all is looking better by the day.

I started out buying a Triumph Basket Case that consisted of a 1968 Triumph Bonneville Main Frame with a generic bolt on hard tail and a 1965 650 T1204 Engine Unit and some other assorted parts.

Then I purchased a second rolling basket case that had all of the parts I was missing for the first basket case and put my present configuration together.

She will really be a sweet little custom rigid I will enjoy for a very long time.

I'm going to try and keep her as vintage looking as I can and I know when parked she will be a head turner and probably provoke a few questions.

I usually post all of my updates here: 1965 Triumph 650 T120R Classic Rigid Bobber but I will post each update here too.

:biker:

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

1965T , looks like you have a real good start to building a triumph ,keep the progress pics coming:cool:
  3. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thank you and will do. :)
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Righteous build pics are encouraged as is details
  5. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Too many pics to post but on the link I gave with the original post are all of the details since the rolling chassis hit the build shop. More details as the build progresses.

Engine Unit: 1965 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R Dual Carb, 4 speed trans
    Main Frame: 1968 650 Bonneville reworked,slight rake.
    Hard Tail: Generic after market bolt on.
    Forks: DNA Springer
    Rear Rim: 16" rim on a Sportster Hub(all HD)
    Front Rim: 19"(HD)
    Fuel Tanks: Looking at normal Fat Bob tanks(just do not like the single tank look).

Going to try and keep her looking as vintage as I can.

Over all this sweet lil girl will be just like I love my women IE: Short(center of gravity as low as possible), Sweet(damn fine looking) and Petite(not a fatty looking machine for sure) with a nice lil set of Hooters(her fuel tanks).

This is my first build ever and I am loving every dollar of it. :D
  6. cowboy

I read your blog & pics very cool , & under patch holder very true , you need to bring it on here
  7. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thanks for reading the blog. I will try to get a few pics up from the beginning until now in the near future. :)
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I had read the bog as well.. I dig two wheels!!!! You are on FB???? PM me about it??
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Looks like you are fairly new to the forum, so welcome '65! That is gonna be a really nice build - and you have a good start. I've always liked trumpets and especially the Bonny. It was a fast, great handling motorcycle.
    Will look at your blog a bit later . . . good luck and keep us informed. BTW, I used to live in Tennant, Calif., which is near Mt. Shasta up SR 97 back in the 80s.
  10. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Ya Mt Shasta way North of me and a lovely area for sure. Yes she going to be a sweet lil ride when all finalized. The older 650 T120R power plants were just work horses for sure. One thing I like about my 65' though is none of the electronic sensor junk I see on the later in the year 66 - 71 newer engine units. This engine unit is just clean and basic. :)
  11. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Some pics from the beginning.

Pics in order.

First Basket Case.
    Second Basket Case.
    What we are building now.

The Second Basket Case was really a mess but the thing about it I was able to have my wheels,front end and then I sold and traded off the rest. Part of that trade was a nice motorcycle lift that now sits in my storage. :)

Attached Files:

12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

We don't need a lotta pictures, will check out your link...
  13. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

14. JohnnyBiker

I like the second basket case.:cool:
  15. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

The second basket case frame was all FUBAR. I would not have let my worst enemy build that frame until it had all been properly put in a jig and redone. It was long too which I do not want a long bike. The engine was just a parts engine too. I got the parts I needed and that was all I wanted. I fell in love with my Black Frame from day one.

:D
  16. JohnnyBiker

I liked the bars what I saw from the tank and of course the springer. That tank looked like a coffin style...:cool:
  17. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

It is a Coffin style I traded off for some other stuff. That entire front end is now on my Black Frame, those bars were home made and I would not have trusted them on a bicycle and the Rear Wheel Assembly is also now on my Black Frame. The only thing that second rolling basket case was good for was the parts I needed to build the Black Frame. I probably paid about $500.00 to much for it but hell it was delivered right to my Car Port from almost 50 miles away and the guy let me do the payment plan after a reasonable down payment. Hard to complain about that I guess. ;)
  18. cowboy

like the monkey said when his tail was cut off ,wont be long now , till your up & in the wind, rear fender looks good
  19. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Going to look better after re-fabrication. :D

Added Note: It will be quite some time before she is out in the wind though.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  20. cowboy

ya you have all winter to work on her & make it right :D