1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1965 T120R Project Build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 1965T120R, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here shes running , it looks good so far :D
  2. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Ya for it being rigged up as it is just to start it ya. :biker:
  3. 06VStar

06VStar New Member

Bike looks great!
  4. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thanks she is getting there. I'm going to try and get to the shop tomorrow to check on progress and get pics if any need to be taken. Been battling the Flu Bug since last Monday. Nasty stuff.
  5. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

6. cowboy

I like the rear set up you two have come with , is the tail light the over sized led one from J&P ? the side skirt on the HD fender looks cool :cool:
  7. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Tail Light came out of Drag Specialties if I remember right and on the sides of that HD Fender the inside of it will be rounded out to match the most inner lip radius so more of the tire itself will be showing if that makes some sense(if we left the flat area in there it would look to wonky). I liked this Tail Tight Assembly because it is still small but has the more Vintage look to it. That is the theme of this project is Vintage/Classic Old School Build. It will have Saddle Bags on her when done and I am looking at getting those soon so we can wrap up the Rear section and keep moving to the front. As she sets she does sit low. Speed Bumps I will be avoiding or going around for sure. We might end up replacing the forks to get some more height but that is ok too. One thing going for her is that she is a Rigid and obviously she is not going to squat like a soft tail will. She has a 21" front wheel and a 16" rear (5.00x16). We are concentrating on all Mechanical, basic Cosmetics and Electrical first and the two last things to be done will obviously be paint and polish. Yes we could do them while building but we have not put her through her Mechanical Trials as yet. The builder and I talk about this a lot and he agrees. Do it right.

Thank you for asking. :)
  8. cowboy

yes i like your tail light set up tombstone with the small lights on either side & yes the rear fender work made since to me , paint is always last or you'll be redoing it alot :banghead:, I'am redoing my 94 softail & looking at the over sized tombstone for my rebuild , it's led bright so I can be seen ,it might just help , your project is coming right along , keep the up dates coming
  9. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thank you for the reply. She will be a sweet little ride and as my GF says a head turner when parked anywhere in public.
  10. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

11. cowboy

sounds like your moving right along , srping is right around the cornor :D
  12. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Ya but we are a very long way from finalizing her. Paint and extra Bling will be the very last thing. First she will have to survive her trials and work throughs. No sense in worrying about finalizing or getting on the road too soon if she cannot pass her trials first. I want her right as can be and tight as.............well use your imagination here. :D :roflmao:;)
  13. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

14. cowboy

yes your right about that tank , looks way to small , I remembr way back when seeing guys with the aftermarket tanks or sporty tanks on there brit bikes looked funny at the time & sill does
  15. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Ya never could understand the concept of having a teeny tiny peanut tank on a full framed and raked Rigid.

Ya new update coming tonight. We just got back from a Swap Meet in Sacramento California and I found a couple things I needed. Still waiting to hear back on that Triumph Original Fuel Tank from my friend.
  16. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

17. cowboy

well sounds like you ound all the right parts , thats always a good day :D
  18. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Oh this evening has been even better. Wednesday I go pick up a restored original stock 1963 - 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 Fuel Tank with all of the Tank Badges, Chrome, Knee Pads and Chrome Fuel Cap to see if it first fits before I actually buy it. Pics to come this weekend.
  19. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Like this one;) Sorry it's not for sale....but I agree that little tank on there looks outta place....I think an OE Triumph tank would look right...
    Really coming along,looking foward to seeing the finished product:D
    [​IMG]

Tank in pic is for a '68 650 Bonneville project,if it ever comes to fruition it will be very close to this....

[​IMG]
  20. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

The one I am getting does not have that cap looking thing in the middle of the top of the tank, it has the Badges, Rubber Pads and the Chrome Strip if I remember right from front to back along the top ridge and no Tank rack. I am going to try and get the soft tank bag he has for it too as I am thinking of powder coating the tank and a lot of other parts anyway so wear against the finish will not be an issue. Nice tank you have there. :D

Once I buy the tank if it works out I will post the price with pics. lol...I cannot remember if I put the price on the blog or not but from what I have seen online for pricing the price he told me is right in the ball park. Gonna try and sweet talk him into throwing in the tank bag too. This old Triumph Rat is just so cool. Every time I get to meet and chat with these old heads I feel I was born 30 - 50 years to late. :(