1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1965 T120R Project Build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 1965T120R, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

nice thumper luicfer & tank
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Dang, that trumpet is coming along great! I see you live in Jackson - I lived in Tennant, Cal. for a while back in the 80s, which is near Mt. Shasta. Have also lived in Monterey, Santa Barbara, and (ugh!) Fresno. I am also impressed with the professional look of your blog - nice work.
  3. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thank you on all points. I try my best with my Blog. Blogger provides the templates I just put in the content as I would want to see a Blog of this type where somebody is documenting an ongoing project.

Jackson California nestled in the foot hills of the Sierra Nevada's is a lovely place to live. I lived in Angels Camp in my younger years for 29 of those years then lived in Southern Utah for awhile then lived in Mid Missouri for about 15 years and now back home in my beloved foot hills of Northern California. :)
  4. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

5. cowboy

Nice score :cool: now you'll be fitting right on target
  6. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Thanks man we are hoping so.
  7. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

The original Triumph Fuel Tank wont fit with the DNA Springer Front End I am using at this time due to on a normal front end the Triple Tree is more forward in a triangle shape but on a DAN Springer Front End the Triple Tree is straight across like a old vintage girder front end. So for now we will use that small black peanut looking non asymmetrical to the frame and over all bike geometry type tank. Nothing I can do for now until the next Sacto Swap Meet where I will look for a tank that is 2 inches longer than the black tank I will use for now. So for now the Front Fender can be fabricated as needed to fit, The Front Brake Caliper can be installed and then the Battery Box fabricated up and mounted, entire Rear End Section wrapped up and keep moving and working around the bike as my budget affords and the builder has the time.

Until next update. Peace and Much Love, Honor and Respect for all who ride.
  8. cowboy

thats not good , Have you ask your builder about the 4.5 gal sporty tank ? it might be worth a shot in the dark ,he might have one around or know someone who has one to try to see if it will fit
  9. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Ya we are researching all options. If we end up changing the front end to gain clearance under the frame I am not sure what front end we will go to but if we can find a Springer with a normal triple tree set up like a normal forked front end my Triumph Tank then would probably work.

Ya finding a Springer with the normal Triangle Triple Tree is the needle in the Hay Stack there. That is the only thing stopping us from using the Triumph Tank is the DNA Springer is not forward like a normal/stock front end.

Anybody got a Springer Triple Tree Stretcher? :banghead:
  10. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

11. cowboy

Forgot about those pipes running low 4in should about right if ya don't bottom it out
  12. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Since it is a custom build I am going to try and go with those new short up turned baffles that are angled right off the exhaust pipe end. We were worried about the kick stand for sure and yes once the "New Pipes" are in place their clearance needs.

I'm not some speed freak that blasts into corners at Warp Factor 20. :rolleyes:

I'm more the Grandpa out for the daily ride on his old vintage two wheel machine type of cruising rider. :D
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nice shiny springer:D Will you be able to mount your Triumph tank with the new front end ??
  14. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Probably not due the clearance factors but one can never tell. The replacement is the same as the black one only 4inches longer for the height I need. I'm not getting rid of that Triumph Tank though. :D
  15. joshbob

It's possible to "move" the tank mounts - I did on mine. Also fabricated my upper motor mount from scratch. Everything went right where I wanted it. Amazing what a little cutting , grinding, and welding can do.

Though I suppose you are loathe to do that at this stage of the game.:D
  16. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Cutting and welding do not bother me but destroying the value of an original factory tank that are getting hard to come by kinda does. I will find the tank I want that will fit in time. She is a custom after all,like fine Wine she will take some time. The top mount yes we are going to custom fabricate with one solid plate that will have two tabs to connect it to the frame.

Thanks for the post. :)
  17. joshbob

I didn't mean change the mounts on the tank - change the mounts on the frame so you can position the tank whever you want. That's what I did to my frame so I could position my 3.5 gal. Mustang tank exactly where I wanted it.
  18. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Does not look that easy with the original tank and the 1968 Bonnie Frame. We looked at it quite some time. I will be finding the tank I want soon enough.
  19. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

20. joshbob

Good luck on the tank, I'm sure you'll find one. Your sickle is coming along nicely . . . slow but sure . . .