1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1976 FLH shovelhead ,Transmission oil foaming.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by BigNick, Jun 24, 2018.

1. BigNick

BigNick New Member

When I bought this bike a year ago the oil in the transmission was foamy or kinda yellowish it looked like to me. I assumed the previous owner used the wrong type of oil or wrong weight. I drained the oil and filled it with Harley gear oils which the dealer said was right. This month I refilled the trans and rode about 45 mph for 10 min or so. I rechecked the oil level and it was down about 3/4 inch and it was foamy. I found that the oil is leaking out around the seal in the main gear shaft. So my 2 problems are trans oil leak and something making the oil foam up. Can anyone out there think of what may be causing these problems? Any help is greatly appreciated and helpfull to us . Thank you every much. Big Nick
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It’s pushing trans oil into the primary possibly through the seal.

See if primary has too much oil

Best trans fluid is redline. The pink stuff is known to really help in hd trans it’s called shockproof

You need to fix the seal first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigNick likes this.