1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2000 Road King

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 11, 2016.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thing is even if you want to stud it you'll need to tap it. time sert
    or helicoil it for the stud to stay in place anyway.

I'd tap it first, put the bolt in with blue locktite to see if it hold, if not
    get a helicoil, a drill and doo some mookanik work...
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

In this case, I took the advice of BaggerPaul. What I did was went to the local Fastenal and I picked up an array of things to do what KillerRoadking wanted me to do. I picked up a tap, helicoil's, the driver for the helicoils, 2 threaded 1/4 20 set screw studs and 2 nylock nuts. When I got home, I simply took one of the set screw studd and threaded it into the whole in question. That stud drew tight. Before I did anything, I waited until he got to my place so I could show and explain what happened and what our options were. He decided that we should just stud it, lock tite it and wait. BaggerPaul agreed as well, so that is what we did. However, instead of using nylock nuts, I decided that I wanted to use a flat washer, a lock washer and a standard nut. Only problem is that I need a spacer to fit. Need to bring the nut to the outside of the plate. Here is a picture to show what I mean.[​IMG]
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

If it's got tires or or a cha chi it's gonna give ya trouble.but if ya screw its happy .my thoughts anyway. Almost done bro.get that stock bike out of your garage it's gonna contaminate the place!
    79shovel and JohnnyBiker like this.
  4. JohnnyBiker

Now that isn't nice. He has a nice bike, it just needs some loving is all. He is Hell bent on doing an engine, it won't be stock for very long.
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Nobody ever said I was nice .lol .break the lock off that wallet and build it is my theory. It ain't making power if it ain't cranking 200 psi .make it run!
  6. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Look'in good JB your on the home stretch now
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JMO I wouldn't use a nut, washer and locknut, IF it comes loose it's going to fubar
    the inside of the oil chest and get metal everywhere, oil pump, etc.

I like BP's idea of a nylock as it shouldn't work loose if you are going to stay the course with
    a stud n nut deal.

The only reason I don't care for the stud is that you have to put on a nut
    and HD's vibrate and shit comes loose, be sure you loctite the nut if you
    decide to do it the way you are.

The reason an allen head bolt is used is that if it does strip or come loose
    and starts to back out the cam cover is probably going to keep it from coming
    all the way out.

IF you can get a stud to tighten you can get an allen head bolt to tighten.
    79shovel likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Well, I kind of took your suggestion. I did use a washer and a lock washer but I did not use a regular nut. I used a My lock along with a lock washer. That plate isn't going anywhere.
  9. JohnnyBiker

One other small issue tga5 ran into was that if you look at the picture below, notice how far into that machined recess the nut is in? Couldn't get it tight enough. My solution to this was to get a 1/4" spacer, use a washer and the nylock, however, the washer diameter was too large so I took it to work, machined the spacer to the correct diameter. Didn't work, the spacer was too long. From that point, I took my caliper out, measured the distance of the machined recess of the plate. .309" [​IMG]

From here I brought the spacer back to work, machined the spacer from .750" down to .309" Below is a picture if the two spacer choices that I needed to choose from. I chose the one on the left.[​IMG]
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

How's this project doing, any updates?