1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2001 HD softail classic, chrome switch cap installation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by nalluf, Jul 12, 2004.

1. nalluf

nalluf New Member

Anyone install these caps yourself? Dealer said it will take maybe 90 minutes. I would like to do this myself! Any tips? These are the horn, start, run chrome caps. Any help appreciated!
  2. CD

CD Guest

Do you mean switch housings or some type of cover?

To do switch housings right I would allow a couple of hours. Before starting, clean out every hole and chase the threads. Chrome makes a wonderfull loctite, guaranteed to ruin your day if you do not clean out the threads.

Take your time and work slowly. You can do a great job with patience.

BTW, the best and first tool to buy is the service manual.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2004
  3. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

CD is right it takes patience. I installed the chrome caps on my 2004 Road King Classic. The thing to keep in mind is that there are ears on both sides of the caps. These ears will snap into place, be careful and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS that come with the caps, because if you get in a hurry and break one of the ears off, you'll have to buy a whole new set of caps. Ride Safe David.
  4. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Yes I did change the caps on my 2003 Heritage. CD is right about the time, I also changed the switch housings at the same time. The caps are not only hard to get off but back on also. On mine, on each side of the cap mount is tabs one side is round and the other is a type of star configuration, these must be put on correctly to stay fluch with the opening after you put it all back together. To do my whole job it took me about 2&1/2 hours. You can do it but must be careful. By the way horn button has a spring that must be put back in right or you will be redoing it. Hope this has helped some. Good Luck just take your time and do one at a time. Patience is a virtue. Safe ridng.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a 4 beer job, not quite a 6 pack LOL

Have you got chrome housings>?

If not and you're considering might as well do it at the same time and save the extra work.