1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2004 Sportster Tranny Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jakklz, Aug 19, 2004.

1. jakklz

jakklz New Member

I am a first timer here. I have a 2004 sportster 883 custom. When I shift from Neutral to first gear, there is quite a loud klunk as it slips into gear. Is this normal? It almost feels like the clutch isn't engaging but the bike doesn't move at all as if the clutch was too loose. Is this normal?
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

It's probably normal. Harleys are known for being clunkers. HD made a big transmission change in 2002 which was supposed to eliminate a lot of the clunk in the big twins, and it did improve somewhat. My 2002 is smoother than either of the 2000 models I rode. I don't think the Sportsters were involved.

Try holding the clutch in for about 15 to 20 seconds before you shift into gear and see if it smooths out some. That sure helps on mine when I first crank it up.

Good luck!
  3. rose_guy

rose_guy New Member

Clunk

The clunk is normal. It will be a little less noticable when yhou get a few miles on it.
  4. jakklz

jakklz New Member

I only have around 700 miles on it. I appreciate the feedback! I did try holding in the clutch a bit longer...still did the same "klunk" as it went into gear...this time with a bit of chatter...
  5. dancindav

dancindav New Member

I have a 2004 Fatboy.....mine does the same thing....and in other gears also.
  6. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

make sure the clutch is properly adjusted. Mine does clunk and chatter as well, but with a properly adjusted clutch it is a lot better. :)
  7. CD

CD Guest

Chatter as in a little grinding or chatter as in clutch chatter trying to pull you forward slightly? Either way, you need to adjust the clutch to get some additional release. The smallest amount of drag will cause a larger than normal "clunk" from neutral to first. The shift forks have to move the first gear over the cluster gear. There is always some resistance to engaging and if the clutch is adding drag it will make a louder clunk or can even grind some.

If it is only happening when cold try letting the bike warm up some first. Work the clutch in and out to break the stiction a little.
  8. Murphdog

Murphdog New Member

What CD said about working the clutch before shifting into 1st. My '02 Sporty went into 1st alot better if I let the clutch out in neutral then pulled it back in before putting it into gear. The Sporty transmission was much more clunky than the Dyna I have now. What you're hearing is probably normal, but the advice you're getting on checking clutch and cable adjustment is good advice.
  9. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Clunky transmission

Follow suggestions above for proper clutch adjustment. If that doesn't solve the problem change exhaust to louder system... clunk should go away!