1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2006 Road Glide

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 03LD, Nov 3, 2016.

1. 03LD

03LD Member

Looking a a 2006 Road Glide 50, 000km, anything I should be looking for when I take this bike out... not really into looking for problems but like to know if there are any common issues across the baord. It's always a bit nerve racking getting a new bike for the sake of I know what I have already.
  2. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Check to see if the cam tensioners have been replaced yet. I think that was the last year if not 07 when they went to hyd tensioners. If they are not redone as of yet that may run you a few dollars for repairs depends on which way you go. If you wrench it yourself maybe 250.00 and up depends on the riding you do. my 2 cents
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I always thought the years between 2002 and 2008 were pretty good years for touring bikes. 2001 was was the last year of cam issues and were fixed 2002 and up came tolerance issues. 2009 was the frame change which caused front end wobble in some bikes but remedied in 2014 with a beefier front end.

Based on what I know/read bikes between 2002 and 2008 were pretty reliable. If the cam tensioners are all you need to do that's a small hurdle to have a great bike.
  4. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

2007 they went with Hyd ones which were better but not the best option, 2017 they went back to a single cam they must have learnt their lesson. I just had a friend do his 2005 and they were bad, did it at the right time. He went with the same type cause he puts on 3000 miles or about 5000K a year so he won't have to do them for a long time. 1999-2006 they were the spring tensioners and good for about 25000-30000 miles which is about 50,000K. google the tensioners you will find out info on what is in you bike you are looking at.
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

My '05 had 36,000 on it 2 winters ago and the tensioner looked new. I'm checking them this winter. If I need them I'm going with the Harley OEM ones. Saves me a few bucks plus my riding has cut back a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marc1340 likes this.
  6. badinfluence63

Dented fins? Wet underneath? Man sounds like a shit bike, no offense.
  7. Fatboy128

Sounds like the bike that washed up on the west coast from the Japanese tsunami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. badinfluence63

And most salesmen are not ethical/honest.

I bought a "new" bike in 2012 with 300 miles on it. I was so caught up In finally buying a bike the color I wanted (pearl white) I stupidly didn't care. When I got home with the "new" bike and settled down I found about 9 things wrong with the bike. Broken fairing vent, broke tail lite, broken ignition switch, front end wobble, front tire put on backwards and I forget the rest.

Should have never bought a "new" bike with 300 miles on it and an inspection sticker on it from Virginia. Live and learn. That was a very regrettable mistake.

I was able to fix all the issues except front end wobble so in 2015 I drove over 100 miles and beyond about 5-6 other dealers to a dealership that was known to be reputable and was a great experience in both trade in value and MSRP on the new bike. Unfortunately that year did not have my favorite color but the silver pearl is growing on me. Best bike I ever owned.

Below is new bike next to old bike at the dealership.
    image.jpeg
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  9. Fatboy128

Silver is my favorite color cars and bikes. Takes a while for dirt to show also!
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  10. 03LD

03LD Member

Ended up taking the bike out for a drive, was not impressed enough to trade mine plus a fair amount of cash. Was surprised at the amount of wind, a nice bike but not nearly as agile as the dyna. They made touring models for a reason and I haven't made many long trips yet. It did sound nice with the Rinehart exhaust.