1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2006 XL1200R

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by ArmyRider1200R, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ArmyRider1200R

ArmyRider1200R New Member

Greetings. I have lurked on this forum for a long time and went ahead and ordered the Premium Tuners Kit and finally got around to working on my carb today. Short version of the story- I have now ordered a new slide and bowl gasket as well since it appears I need to. I will see if I can upload pictures of what I found. I will follow with the long version in case any of you can think of anything else I should be looking at. This if the first time I have done any real work on my bike; not much self confidence in my mechanical ability so I have been going to dealerships for service and repairs since the bike was new.
  2. ArmyRider1200R

Pictures of the float bowl gasket. I assume this should be replaced.

gasket2.jpg gasket2.jpg gasket.jpg
  3. ArmyRider1200R

All previous carb work done at the dealership where it appears they drilled the slide. I noticed the edges of the hole seemed shiny in comparison. An 1/8" bit fits easily.
    Drilled slide.jpg
  4. ArmyRider1200R

Long version:
    I have had this 06 1200R since brand new. After about 50,000 miles of enjoyable riding, I foolishly decided to add a cam upgrade. I told them I just wanted a little more pop and quickness. They recommended an S&S 482 they said was just a "bolt-on" upgrade. The only previous upgrades were SE Air Cleaner and Slip-Ons shortly after purchase. After a couple months of delays due to a change of ownership at the dealership, turnover of service writers and techs, and problem after problem requiring me to spend more money I ended up with a barely rideable sportster. Each time I had to authorize additional work they would keep pointing out that I would be better off trading it in on something newer.

Once the cam set was in and the top end overhauled they called and said it was running way too lean and they had installed the biggest jets they could and the only solution was an S&S carb. I spoke directly with the mechanic and he told me we should try an aftermarket ignition first as that might allow me to get by with the CV carb. I agreed and they installed a Dyna-Tek 2000TC-3. I finally got the bike home and now had a Sportster that ran like crap from 2,000-3,000 RPM, belched black smoke on acceleration, read 8mph high on the speedo, and got about half the mpg it did before. I also started losing all gauges while riding and starting learning about diagnostic codes and bus errors. Took the bike back and they replaced the speed sensor, replaced the ignition module with a new one (said the first one must have been bad), and recommended an S&S carb again.

At this time I finally started doing my own research :banghead: and found out that the CV40 should be more than capable of handling upgrades far more aggressive than mine, and that the Ignition module had known incompatibilities with the 2006 Sportsters.

Before anyone asks: No, I was not smart enough to get my OEM ignition from the dealer.:banghead :banghead :banghead

I now want to attempt to perform as much work on the bike as I can and the CV Performance kit (and a crank position sensor) is the first step. For what it's worth the carb had a 62 pilot and a 200 main. :woot:
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, I think a lot of folks missed your post, as it ain't in the "The Garage" forum, "Motorcycle Tech Talk" sub-forum. It also sounds like you fell prey to a crappy dealer - AKA, Stealer. Sorry about that. It does look like you've learned a whole lot about your ride; albeit, the hard way.

Your jetting seems pretty whacked. Stock was 42 / 180 (or 185 in California), for what its worth.

There is nothing wrong with the Keihin CV 40mm on your Sporty. It can handle anything you do to that 1200cc bike - heck, its fine on 1450cc baggers and Softails, so keep your money in your pocket.

I recommend American Cycles & Accessories in your hometown for future work, or another indy garage. AC&A has a decent rep, and would likely not try to break your bike to sell ya a new one. Harley Dealers are losing interest in carb'd bikes, and you clearly found one that sucks.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, and in the future if you post technical concerns in "Motorcycle Tech Talk", we're likely to see it sooner.
  6. ArmyRider1200R

Thanks Red Rider, I was thinking more of the CV Performance support aspect to see if anyone thought I should order anything in addition to the new slide and gasket. Once that comes in I will get the carb back together and installed. Then I can see where things are and I will certainly post in the other side to get additional advice. I will definitely go meet the folks at American Cycles and Accessories. Thanks again.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

RedRider is correct, a 60 pilot jet is WAY TOO BIG! That should be around a 40 to 42 max. As far as the slide goes, there is no reason to drill that hole out in the slide either. People used to do it a long time ago and proved to do more harm than good. The black smoke is simply a result of getting way too much fuel. I would also check to make sure that this idiot dealer put the needle back in correctly. Speaking from experience on this. As far as your ignition, I would look hard at a Daytona Twin Tech. They make fabulous products.
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I second the Daytona Twin Tech recommendation by JB. Had one (and still do) on my '99 Road King (the bike in my avatar)for the last 100,000+ miles, and it is easy to install and adjust to where you want it, even if you're not a confident wrench-man. Gotta get your baby back running clean and smooth...Hoooahh, Army!