1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2008 touring models

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by allanr5, Dec 9, 2007.

1. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Allanr5,

Welcome and get ready to read some great stuff, these guys have plenty of them. I wanted to jump in and explain the differences that you are talking about.

Drive-by-wire simply means that instead of a cable connecting your throttle to the throttle body, the throttle body is opened and closed by an electronic signal. The signal tells the throttle body how much you have punched the throttle and delivers the correct amount of fuel, without any regard to changes is atmospheric conditions. i.e. altitude, cold or warm weather, it will always start without difficulty and always deliver the correct amount of required fuel.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    German
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Heard about the download for cuttin the rear cylinder off last year. Sorry but I do not want the computer cuttin my rear cylinder off.
    I've broke in my new bike. Went to Synthetic amsoil at 1000 miles. It was real hot at 1st., but cooled down a little later on. I've gone to the supertrapp 2in1 and got rid of the crossover pipe and it seems to of cooled down some. I was ridin it when it was 84* outside and it didn't bother me.
    Will have to wait till this summer.
    You have to understand you are sitting directly on top of the motor.
  3. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Heat

Eleminating The Cross Over Pipe With The True Duels Worked For Me...................................
  4. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Cardboard,

The only venue that a V-Twin air cooled engine has to shed its heat is called the "fins", at higher temps this so called cooling will simply be under your crotch :), making it very warm. Kuryakin has stuff and Harley has some other stuff to deflect this heat, but it really is just a bandaid. Don't take me wrong, I rode a Dyna Low Rider and this baby was just hot all the time, for a number of other reasons.

Having said that, an Liquid Cooled V-Twin revolution engine, will in due time be the answer to a very old design that is slowly and surely being left behind by time and progress. Like it or not the MOCO will eventually do away with this heat issue, and it is called a liquid cooled V-Twin. it will not be a Revolution engine, but it will be an upgraded version of the 96 ci, 110 ci or whatever else Harley will come up with. The way I look at it, is just exciting engineering changes and better riding conditions.

Regards,
    German
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and ya will start seein them in 2010....
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Water cooled my A$$, I had a Honda Valk Interstate with water cooling and hated the system. Wait till you start breathing the vapor from a coolant leak, sucks big time or you get stranded due to over heating and all the water is gone. The heat off that motor was horrendous and when the fans kicked in you got blasted by heat, same thing on the Goldwing. When that change happens I'll keep my trusted air cooled motor with less tolerances and keep chugging along. I've been in extreme heat with both types of motors and the air cooled performed better than the water cooled motors did. At least I didn't have to sit in a park while the water temp went down or pull a water pump out to change it along side the road. :cussing: Nope I'll stick with the air cooled, never had a overheat problem with it yet.:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll agree on the GW whatta hot bike to ride, you roast in the summer, although you stay toasty at night and in the winter time. Still, it was hot.

Water cooled heads will be next, probably not the whole motor that would require some significant redesign of the cases, cyl and heads.

Remember it's not HD's fault it's your CARB boys starting this mess and the EPA adopting tougher standards.

In this case it's probably Owl Gords fault.
  8. SK

SK New Member

Can't say I know much about Hondas, but my Royal Star and FJR haven't had one iota of problems with water-cooling. Comes in handy when stuck in traffic in Las Vegas summer heat. Never ever had a leak in over 100,000 miles on the Royal Star.

Unfortunately, EPA standards are getting tougher and tougher and there isn't anything we can do about it. With mandates coming forth because of the so-called global warming (can't say I believe everything they're saying, but there is some truth to some of it)..tighter emission controls are inevitable. California's leading the way..the nation tends to follow in subsequent years.
  9. FLHTbiker

You ever get a leak in the bike you'll know what I mean. I had to ride that Valk for two days before getting home with it leaking coolant and I must say I hate that smell.:rant:

I'll just stick with my air cooled Harleys! ;)
  10. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Good people, If air-cooled means ya gotta ride it to keep it cool, then that can't be a bad thing can it.:D
  11. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Whichever way you get to ride, air cooled or liquid cooled, means you get to ride either way ;) !!

It is only a matter of preference.

Regards,
    German
  12. FLHTbiker

Nope as riding is what its all about. :)
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

As long as your riding it's your choise on what you ride , I've never been around a liquied cooled bike with enought miles to no anything about them , guess I'll rebuild my air cooled when time is due for it & just keep riding it :D
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Taking the crossove pipe off will cost you some torque. I know what's available on the market to go under the front part of the seat to disperse some heat. Just ain't bought it .
    I got a good 2in1 so I lost some of the heat. When I had a Thundermax on my 07 bike I lost some heat. I know there's not a unit out as present for my bike. But when it is released I will have it on. Been talkin to my builder who's a TM regional rep and with TM for 2 months. Its due to be released after the 1st of the year.
    I realize I'm riding a motorcycle also. I know there's gonna be some heat. Rode a 64 Pan head for years. It had heat sittin still too. I live in Texas , heat is something you have to git used to. What I worry about is my bike overheating if I sit in traffic not moving for too long. Elsewise I can adapt.
    What I can't adapt to is COLD.
  15. allanr5

allanr5 New Member

fiesty bunch here ---I like it

Well I bought the Ultra today I actually paid less for it out the door than I did for my 2004 FLSTC back in 04. I think there was some rape and pillaging going on in the early 2000's especially on the 2003 models but that's another story. anyway back to this overheating discussion---- to me a rad on a bike looks like **** and ya its probably coming to our beloved air cooled V-Twins thanks to CARB and the EPA personally I think it will be the kiss of death to the MOCO I feel sorry for the up and coming because by the time they can afford a Harley it probably won't look like the majestic beasts we're riding today JMHO Rob
  16. FLHTbiker

That's exactly how I feel about it. The bad thing then HD will be the same as the Asian and EURO bikes. :cussing: