1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2012 1200 Sportster I've converted to carb

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by willsimmons, Jan 27, 2017.

1. willsimmons

willsimmons Member

Hi folks.

I'm in need of a bit of advice!

I have a 2012 1200 Sportster that wasn't having much fun with its EFI system. I've now converted it to run on a CV carb. The specs of the bike are below to give you an idea of what it's running:

2012 1200 Sportster engine
    505/515 Feuling Reaper Cams
    RSD/Vance & Hines Stainless 2-1 Exhaust
    S&S Teardrop intake with K&N filter.

I purchased all of my CVP parts from my local independent here in the UK. I have fitted the following into the carb:

CVP 04-06 XL Needle (purely because that was the nearest year to my engine)
    CVP Slide and Spring
    CVP Emulsion Tube
    CVP EZJust Screw
    I've also completely rebuilt everything with new gaskets and accelerator pump etc.

My question, what jets would you recommend? I started with a 45 primary and a 180 main. This was immediately obvious that it was too lean, as there was hiccuping and surging at low speeds. I adjusted the EZ screw out to almost 4 turns out and it still didn't help. I removed the 45 and put in the 48 as my 46 slow jet hadn't arrived yet. This completely solved the hiccuping and surging, however I'm now worried it's running too rich. It doesn't appear to be fouling the plugs, even at idle, but everyone I've talked to about it says 'wow that's a big slow jet'.

When my 46 slow arrived I installed that and still seemed to suffer from slight lean conditions, so I re-installed my 48 slow.

If my bike rides well, doesn't use too much fuel, and doesn't foul the plugs, is it alright? I appreciate this may sound stupid but there's no one I've spoken top that's done the modifications I've done to a new Sportster!

I appreciate anyones advice on this matter - I'm happy to tinker!

Thanks a lot!