1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2012 Harley's announced

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 29, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh man do I remember those soccer years, fun but when you got two, boy and a girl doing it at the same time was sure hard to juggle the schedule. I didn't get a lot of riding in those years either.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the guy all the same but to pay 25k for something that is going to sit there just makes no sense to me. But, it is his money, if that is what he wants to do..
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well it's his toy and if it's fine with his better half then wtf right?
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

News | Harley-Davidson USA

2012 Touring: The Legend Rolls On
    For 2012, all eight Harley-Davidson Touring models are powered by a Twin Cam 103 engine with Automatic Compression Release and integrated oil cooler. Producing 102 ft. lbs. of peak torque at 3500 rpm, the Twin Cam 103 provides outstanding performance around town and on the open road. All Touring models also feature the 6-Speed Cruise Drive transmission, 41.3 mm telescopic front forks, air-adjustable rear shocks and an Isolated Drive System for smooth power delivery. The Harley-Davidson Touring chassis has a single-spar, rigid backbone frame and two-piece swingarm designed to deliver responsive maneuverability and long-haul durability. Chassis geometry and suspension are calibrated to deliver confident handling and comfort.

All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new "tubeless" Chrome Lace Aluminum Wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair. Six new colors or color combinations are among the 12 paint options offered within the 2012 Touring model line.

2012 Harley-Davidson Touring models

Road King®
    Road King® Classic
    Electra Glide® Classic
    Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®
    Electra Glide® Ultra Limited
    Street Glide®
    Road Glide® Custom
    Road Glide® Ultra
  5. JohnnyBiker

Yep
  6. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Those that let their bike sit in the garage usually sell them cheap after a year or so with hardly any miles. More money than brains. They contribute a good supply of (hardly) used bikes to the market, and to that I say "hooray!"

Johnny, fuel injection is probably the best invention for gas engines to ever come along. Easy starting no matter what conditions; instant smooth idle that won't die; no worry about elevation changes; smooth power delivery; great gas mileage; much easier on the battery and starter; no parts to wear out and doesn't need maintenance.

Complex? Yes, but a good trade for many, many trouble-free miles. I'm aproaching 70,000 miles without a single problem.....even have the original spark plugs in and they are still clean. A carb would need it's third rebuild by that mileage, and given you many fits along the way. I believe in riding--not rebuilding.
  7. cardboard

Ain't nobody gonna listen to you about fuel injected bikes.
    Everybody wants Cheap and is on a carbuerator cause they are cheaper and they can play with jets instead of a computer.
    I've been trying to twist their arms and try to git them to try a Thunder-Max out. Tooo much money for a tuner on a 25,000 bike.
  8. FLHTbiker

CB I think people just want to ride and not have to spend a bunch of money on a tuner and dyno time each time they make a change. I have a simple stage 2 download from Harley in my fuel injected bike. Cost 140.00 for the download.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep...I have a pre programed map for my build from Fuel Moto on the Cop King...it runs great,but, the idle is a little rich....if only I could adjust the idle mix, it would be perfect all around in about 2 minutes....instead I'd have to email Jamie get another map,take module off the bike,find the cord to plug module into 'putor and download the new map,then hope it's right on,if not repeat....kinda complicates a pretty simple procedure...for a bone stock bike that's gonna stay that way,yep EFI is better...how many guys riding bone stock HD's??

Why Carburetors Will Be Around Forever
  10. FLHTbiker

But if you spend the bucks on a Thunder Max you can sit there and try to tune it yourself, course to do it right you should put it on a dyno, opps there goes another 1,000 bucks plus. Course, you might get lucky playing with the tuner yourself. :rolleyes:
  11. JohnnyBiker

I didn't mean to turn this into a carb vs. EFI argument. I was just stating a preference of mine. I have enough experience with FI to know that I prefer the simplicity of a carb, and can be tuned to a high degree of accuracy.

Alex, you stated that there is trouble free starting with EFI? That may be true but it is the same as with a carb. I have learned that it is a matter of knowing how to start your ride. (Develop a routine). Each bike is different. I have learned over my short life span that most people do not understand what the true function of choke is. I have talked to people and have asked them what the purpose of the choke is and they respond confidently, but give the wrong answer. (They know that they should do this on cold starts) and that is about it. Just an example.

Is it fair to say the majority of riders don't have the vast knowledge of mechanical expertise to understand things such as a Carb or EFI? I think it is true.

FLHT, you stated that you think that most people just want to get on a ride. I am one of those as well but I want to have an intimate knowledge of my ride, in a weird, difficult way to explain, a carb gives me that. I think it is because I understand a carb more than I do EFI. However, I do like progress and I will be buying an EFI bike soon, I am assuming that I will be one that has something on it like a PC or a TM, but I think that I would prefer a SERT. Why, because I would be able to play around with it to gather an understanding on what my engine is doing. :D
  12. FLHTbiker

Carbs are basically simple if you do understand them and know what jet to use and why. You seem to have a good understanding of that. Wanting to just ride is simply that whether it be a carb or EFI. I don't want to sit there and play with either one as I want it set, be done with it and when I want to ride I know its ready to go. With that said, an EFI can also be a simple system and efficient fuel management system for any rider if they don't mess with air, pipes and etc. All of the fuel management systems including the one CB is pushing can all be programed by the bike owner if you know what your doing. Again, for me I don't give a rats a$$ to sit there and continually play with a tuner everytime I turn around.
    If your going to get an EFI and make a bunch of changes to the bikes air flow, pipes and other components of the engine get prepared to put on a fuel management system of some breed, course I know you already know that. It just boils down to, how much time do you want to play with it or get out and ride. The sert I don't feel is better or worse than the system CB spouts but you will need one when you make all the changes.
    I for one don't like a piggy back system for fuel management but one that changes the settings internally. For me the HD factory stage 2 download worked and no fuel management system needs to be installed. Now I can just ride and not worry about it.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Right on my ARGON brother!!:D
  14. Lucifer

FLHT is your bike done with all SE parts?? I was under the impression you needed to use SE stuff only for the HD download
  15. FLHTbiker

My exhaust is all V&H including the power header chamber, only thing that is SE are the Harley 255 cams and the SE air cleaner.

Sent Via IPhone
  16. Lucifer

I've got and older SE breather for carb on mine(didn't tell the screws what they were going into:roflmao:) Andrews TW 21 and V&H Oval slip ons and '06 stock heads...so I may have been able to go the download route too??( if there is a SE cam with very close specs to the TW21)
  17. cardboard

The TM will tune it as you ride............

I've had more than one thunder-max and installed them on a lot of other bikes.
    I've seenthe downloads, and all the other tuners.
    I've owned and rode carbs.
    The day of the carb is gone, in cars, trucks and motorcycles.
    Gas is not good enough to run in them in 2 cycle boats for long.
    This is where fuel injection excells.:gah:
  18. JohnnyBiker

So an EFI system can turn bad gas into good gas? Gas is gas dude. Adjust your bike to work better with the difference in fuel that you guys all so often complain about...:rant:

Other than the ethanol, what is so bad about the gas??? Maybe you're using the wrong octane for ride?? That does make a difference. :rolleyes:
  19. FLHTbiker

Well, we should start a thread just for carb VS EFI, mow getting back to the new HD's I'm not real wild about the colors except for the Red and Melow (kind of partial to a red and black look). I came real close to buying a new 05 in Idaho when my compensator nut came loose and chewed things up leaving me stranded there for a couple two to three days. HD dealer over nighted parts to help me out so that I could still meet up with Sleepy in Utah. Anyway I loved that black and red that year but they had laced wheels on it and don't really like the laced wheels (got tubes). The new bike of mine is Cherry red and Melow, really a nice color combo and you talk about metal flake in the paint, simply beautiful. The EFI with the stage 2 download is working good. :D
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wife said bad gas burns her eyes
    And makes her sick but that's not ethanol induced, beans maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk