1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2012 Harleys to be Water Cooled

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Apr 2, 2011.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

That's a nice instructional video, hotroadking. Although, it left off the part about having to replace the bent engine guard and cracked / scratched saddlebag after this procedure. But hey, he saved $50 by not having to take this behemoth to the shop for a tire change. GEEEEZZZ!!
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that's why I ride a Harley. Any of you ever pull your hair out trying to figure out why a 1500 Goldwing don't run right. :witsend: For one thing just like the older Honda Accord there seems like there is miles of vacuum lines. All it takes is a pin hole to develop in one of em and its a bas$ard to trouble shoot. Found it was better to just replace em all when they start going bad.:banghead:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya can't do that with a Beemer!
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That sounds like it is a real pain FLHT. Today a fello biker and I were talking about this girl at work that just got her permit and she can't decide whether to get a Harley or a honda> :wtf: Anyway, my friend said the same thing that hondas are a pain to work on. "don't buy anything that has a radiator." I just smiled and walked away.
  5. hotroadking

Yeah but they also say if it has tits or tires it's gonna be trouble,

betcha you still want to ride either don't cha LOL
  6. FLHTbiker

Yea, can't do that with any older Goldwing either, just an 1800 Wing. The chrome guards can get scratched (that why the carpets) but the saddle bags are pretty well protected. I've done that on an 1800 wing once. The 1500 was a bit@h. If your on the road and you can get the back end up high enough on a few big rocks you can pull the axle out the left side after removing the axle nut on the right side side after removing the bags and loosing the exhaust. However, at my age I have the enhanced 1-800 number to call HOG roadside assistance for the Harley. :D
  7. alex the dog

Yessir, that 800 number is a lifesaver. I like to carry the tire pluggers and a small compressor with me. But I have the aluminum wheels and tubeless tires. They don't work on spoked wheels with tube-type tires.

Went for a ride to the Grand Canyon with a friend once. He was riding a new Street Bob with quick detach. saddlebags and wire wheels. As you would guess, he got the flat tire and we had to call that 800 number for help.

They sent a tow truck to carry it to the nearest m/c shop. It was a Honda dealer in Paige, AZ, and they looked at the Harley like it was from the planet Krypton. I said "Let us use your lift, and we'll be outa here in 20 minutes". He laughed and said "If you can do that on a Harley in 20 minutes, I won't charge you for the tube OR shop time!".

Put in a new tube, and was back on the road in 15.

Attached Files:

8. FLHTbiker

Yep, not on a Honda..:D I also carry the tire pluggers (mushroom head ones) and a small inflater that works off the battery 12 volt system. I've had to use it to. :rolleyes:
  9. alex the dog

How do you use those plugs on your Heritage with the wire wheels?

She's a beauty, by the way.
  10. FLHTbiker

I would call for a tow or if close enough call the dealer here they will travel several hundred miles to come and get yea.

I use it on the Ultra that has no spokes. :)
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did he keep his word??Free tube and shop time...:D
  12. alex the dog

Yeah, no charge! But the cranky bastard said "now get the hell outa here". I gave the mechanic working on the owners Goldwing a $10 tip.

I'm sure the nice fellow was just upset because his Team Honda crew was watching. After all, "don't you meet the nicest people on a Honda"??
  13. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Your lucky you found any standard wrenches at a honda dealer Japanese Junk is all metric!!
  14. hotroadking

You do know that all adjustable Metric Wrenches are convertible to SAE :roflmao:
  15. FLHTbiker

Or the opposite :rolleyes:
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Insightful commentaries. All you have to do is look around. I don't see any older Honda's, Kawasaki's or Suzuki's around but tons of Harley's all the way back to the stone age.
  17. alex the dog

On a Dyna, all you need is one wrench for the axle nut to remove the rear tire. And I had my nice H-D supplied wrench. Just needed to use their valve stem tool, bead breaker, and lift.

Mr. Honda was soooo pi$$ed when I had that wheel off in 1-2 minutes, he said "you'd never be able to do that on the touring H-D's". I said, "Mine's right here, you want to make another bet?" The nice fellow declined.

I do have a 2-into-1 exhaust, so it really is doable after removing the saddle bags. OK, another 30 seconds.
  18. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Unfortunatly I live in Canada and all my "adjustables" are metric! Can't buy a gallon of anything and can't watch the local weather cause the temps are all screwed up - it's 17*C here and to normal people that's 45*. But I'm old and we changed to metric when I was in my 20's so I'm stuck in standard mode :wtf:
  19. hotroadking

If you are in Canada you have to use the metric wrench in
    your other hand, then it converts to SAE.....
  20. FLHTbiker

How come the world didn't convert to our system, heck they try and speak English anyway (except for the mex when they are in an accident) :roflmao: