1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2012 Harleys to be Water Cooled

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Apr 2, 2011.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Now now.....don't be slamin our good Canadian friends. They're about the only friends we have left in this world. But I must say, I can't stand that metric system.

It's kinda funny though, when you're in Canada, some things are metric and some things are still the old way (our way).
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

It really sucked years ago when the auto industry was half and half and you had to have two sets of tools to work on em. :gah:
    Now the battery bolt on our Harley's is a 10 mm, needs to be 3/8 inch :cussing:

We don't need to be like Europe we and Canada need to be different and be our own system. Hate metrics
  3. alex the dog

Right on brother! All of North America should keep our measurement system, and to he!! with the rest of the world!

I also hate those Torx-head fasteners.....just another set of wrenches to buy when allen-heads work just fine. Who came up with those???
  4. FLHTbiker

I think the first time I saw them was on a Harley:rolleyes: but sure it was wide spread.

"Torx® head refers to a type of fastener that uses a six pointed pattern rather than a Phillips cross design or traditional slot. The shape resembles a star, so it is sometimes referred to as a star screw or bit. Torx® was originally created to provide a better grip than Phillips or slot heads. A Torx® head driver will tend not cam-out like a Phillips driver if a correctly sized bit is used, so care should be taken not to over torque the screw or bolt. There are a few variants on the original design, including external Torx® sockets and security Torx® that are designed for tamper-proof applications."

I hate the one that has a pin in it and that requires another set of Torx sockets. :gah:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't mind Torx, they don't strip.

Allens can strip internally when some
    idiot gorillas the bolt in, or it's rusted
  6. FLHTbiker

I've seen Torx strip or round out when some idiot uses the wrong size putting it in or removing.

Sent Via Iphone
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

No Kidding!!!:rant::rant::gah:
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The United States don't have any Balls.
    We got people with other religions coming here. And we can't say in God we trust anymore. We can't say Merry Chirstmas any more. We can't say Happy Easter any more.
    We have bibles removed from SChools, and religious artifacts removed from City property because the people with the Koran don't believe in it.
    We can't use INch or feet measurements anymore. We can't adopt a national language as english.
    Was told to watch for the Koran to be put in these places pretty soon so we don't offend anybody.
  9. alex the dog

Never happen, Cardboard.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

hope you're right on that one.

As far as the metric system goes getting it force fed to us wasn't a lot of fun. Conversions between units of measure are easier in many cases..just move the decimal point. I'm not sold on the system..i'm kinda old. I'll give you guys south of the 49th a bit of a laugh about when they started selling gas in litres instead of gallons back in the late 70's. I was driving across Canada..gas was about 90 cents a gallon. I got to Manitoba where some gas stations were advertising prices in litres..23 cents per litre....it takes 4.54 litres to make a Canadian gallon..I looked for stations pumping in Gallons still. I'm sure lots of us were duped for a day or two.
  11. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

You can't have just one set of tools anymore.
    You got to have Standard and Metric wrenchs. Never know what is gonna be what. And have you got into the like 1.5 metric stuff yet.
    Its like metric has a few inbetween sizes.

We was workin on a 4 stroke Johnson outboard motor the other day. Puttin a water pump in. On the outside of the bag it said Johnson, when we opened that bag there was another bag that said Suzuki part # and had instructions for a suzuki. WTF.
    Does Suzuki make 4 stroke parts now, or is it a Suzuki motor..:rant:
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Probably some guy named Torx from the planet Shmorx. He invented them so we'd have to buy his alien tools, too. Do you know that I have to teach my high school shop classes how to read a tape measure? Every year, the same thing. They have no concept of fractions. Some of 'em, even after three years of shop, can still barely read a tape measure. They all use calculators that measure things in metrics. Several times a year, I pull all of them out of the shop and into the classroom for a tape measure refresher course, which includes measuring pieces of wood and tests. Inches and feet only. No metrics.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  13. alex the dog

I hate to say this, but I know some adults who look at a tape measure today, and will call out a measurement like "6 inches and 3 little lines". I don't think they would even know if it was American Standard or metric.
  14. hotroadking

Yeah the great thing about water cooling all HD's is we can have new
    threads

"what is the best coolant to run in my HD WaterGlide"

"Can I use Prestone In my HD Waterglide or will if void the warranty"

"Why doesn't HD sell a synthetic based coolant"

"I have a new Waterglide and it seems to run hot when I'm riding, it cools
    down when I stop, should I be concerned?"

"Went to go on a ride and found a puddle of green stuff under the
    bike, looks like my radiator hose cracked, it's friggin new, but I put in
    aftermarket coolant will HD know?"

"How low a temp can it get before my radiator freezes"

$400 bucks for a radiator flush are you friggin kidding me what's your dealer charge"

BluePearl New Member

I'm keepin my bike until I'm 90 by then probably won't have any gas available ! Lookin to buy a used tanker an keepin a few thousand gallons/litres for just me!! I am the Road Warrior!!!:D
  16. hotroadking

I wouldn't have a problem if we converted over to all Metric in the USA
    it's fairly easy to measure and calculate,

Fractions are a PIA, yeah I can do them but if there is a better alternative
    why not use it.

I'd much prefer ordering a 27 mm part vs something like 16 and 13/64's inches
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

those little lines are tick marks, that's what a guy from louiseanna told me. :D:D
    waterglide I like that, in black
  18. alex the dog

Does anyone remember the HydraGlide back in the 50's? It rode so smooth, you thought you were on water. Ha!

So H-D can just call it the HydroGlide.

Fractions suck! There is nothing easier than converting American Standard measurements to decimal equivalents. Ie: 4 1/4 + 5/8 = 4.250 +.625 = 4.875 or 4 7/8.

Get a little chart that shows all the decimal equivalents, and our measurement system becomes fun.

Geez, I need to go for a ride today!
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

getting away from the charts..I hate to say but they're not kidding when a calculator is a necessity in a mechanic's toolbox..and I'm crowding 60.
  20. FLHTbiker

I'm to old to even care about converting it, if it fits use it. :D:D:roflmao:

Sme larger size metrics and standards will fit on the same nut or bolt.:D