1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2013 Harleys

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Aug 22, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

ok, that will work :D
  2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Did you see the black and white StreetGlide in the new issue American Iron mag.? Now that's what I call CHROME!
  3. FLHTbiker

4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Black might be new chrome for some.
    But I got to be honest.

And I Don't mean to bust your chops, but I'm still Old school.
    Black ain't the new chrome to me.
    Nor will it ever be.
    I like the shiney chrome.
  5. alex the dog

Yes, that's the one. It's a 2008 with a 103 motor and lots of special parts. Isn't she beautiful?
  6. FLHTbiker

You ever change out those ugly stock top trunk hinges out for those newer all chrome hinges. They really make your bike look much better.
    I see Alex has not either
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Go figure...they put cheap arse cheesy hinges on a 20,000$+ dollar bike. I changed mine out right off for the beefier ones.
  8. badinfluence63

I've always been partial to black with chrome high lites. Have a 1983 FL that is that way now.

I recently purchased a pearl white '12 Ultra and I am trying to off set the white with black parts. Black tour pack rack,black hinges,black clasps and black front axel caps. Gonna stay with chrome for the exhaust for sure. I've never been a big chrome guy.
  9. badinfluence63

10. alex the dog

You're right....those hinges are ugly AND cheap. I didn't know there was another version to replace them with. Are they "covers" or new hinges?
  11. alex the dog

I changed my front 16" wheel for the 17" that came on the 2009's and put on a 150/17 tire. Love the fat look. Plus, I'm running a 170/16 on the back that has plenty more room.
  12. cardboard

I can remember back in the 60's and 70's we took part to the chrome shop and had them chromed.
  13. FLHTbiker

They are an all new heavy metal hing, I love mine.
  14. badinfluence63

Like FLHT says they are all new heavy duty hinges. They also come in black with matching clasps. Not to expensive either. First thing I do when I get a bike with a tour pac:

Premium Tour-Pak® Hinges - Chrome | Harley-Davidson USA
  15. badinfluence63

The best we had back then was Jammer cycle. Not like today where there are so many choices. Jammer had good frames,pipes and a few other choice goodies butr not the extensive bolt ons offered today. Its crazy and you have to be careful cause some ofgf the stuff is crap. I've ordered from and like the quality and prices of Demon cycles:

Motorcycle Wheels, Engines, Harley Handlebars, Gas Tanks, Ape Hangers - Demonscycle.com

Thye have similar products as bagger nation but a fraction of the cost.
  16. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

weel i aint retired yet, got all thyme in the world, i certainly aint well to do r rich, still a workin bum. but the new h/ds i like. don't have a tech tool turnin garge where i cando all my own stuff. but my '12 flhtci brech white/ midnite pearl is fukin awesome. the color is 2 wow fer. the 103 is gr8. spent 5 gs on mah 02 to get 100 ponies. spent 1800 on this one n got 100 ponies. yeabut gonna get more ponies thou. i know u want out but then they pull you back in.
  17. cardboard

What you can't post a picture of it.
  18. FLHTbiker

Was wondering the same thing.

:worthless:
  19. badinfluence63

Bought a '12 Ultra this year. I like everything about it. Great gas miliage. At 180 miles I still have 2 gallons left. The 6 speed has me at 2500 RPM's at 70mph. Factory oil cooler.

I've had many HD's in my life starting with a '63 FL. This 2012 beats them all hands down. As a long distance tourer I'm not messing with anything. I want MPG's and reliability.

If there is no big changes in 2013 its because there doesn't need to be any. And all you cry baby complainers should invest in Suzuki,Honda,Kawasaki or Yamaha to satisfy your needs for something different every year.:roflmao:
  20. alex the dog

When I bought my FLHX in '08, I was impressed with all the new features at the time. Prior to that, the big touring bikes felt a little too flexible and unpredictable in the high speed curves.

The '08 FLH was a rather unusual year in that it had the heavier steel tubing (spec'd for '09) incorporated into the old style frame, and late year, the same new motor mounts for the up-coming '09s.

After riding the '09 bikes with the new style frame, I was not as impressed with the handling as I was with the '08. My seat-of-the-pants feel for the '09s was that they were less forgiving of subtle inputs made when taking curves over 100, which made the '08s rather special in my estimation.

The changes H-D makes each year are very subtle, and most folks won't ever see or know about them. I've said this before, but know that other mfrs. make big visual changes each year in order to "wow" the customers. Fact is, they aren't tested to a fraction of a degree that H-D tests it's changes before production. But since they (all others) change radically every year, they don't care if the parts don't last.