1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2014 HD's out on their Web Page

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hotroadking, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah... lol...JMHO,I'd want to have the skills pretty much developed before I bought a $20-$35,000 motosickle,like on a second or third hand $5000 cop bike;)then you practice occasionally to keep the skills sharp and the odds of dumping the high dollar bike are quite a bit less,never 100% gone,but reduced significantly...
    BTW the "Ride Like A Pro" video's are excellent and would be a great tool for teaching newbies,but not on a brand new bike,'cause you are gonna go down:eek:
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is very impressive riding. I don't think there are many who can ride like that - no matter what kind of bike. I practice in vacant parking lots from time to time; mostly U-turns and weaving between the parking spaces.

I noticed he was always looking ahead to where he wanted the bike to go.
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Were ever the head goes the bike will travel .never look down ! Head up back strait shoulders square . Never fails.you can ride at a crawling speed on a bagger and it will feel like a dirt bike.
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It seems we are in a day and age where rocking the twisties is preferred and you're the odd guy out if you don't.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You're a good man BI
    and a good man always knows his limitations.

[​IMG]

Running the course like these motors is difficult
    but being able to do tight turns on a bike is simply
    practice, technique and confidence.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/
  6. badinfluence63

I've watched a bunch of those ride like a pro video's and learned a bunch from them, especially the look where you want to go part was very helpful.

Riding a course with low speed manuevers is one thing and hitting the twisties at a high rate of speed is vastly different. The 2 don't go together. Inertia and gravity are a MF'er no matter how many video's you watch,lol. That where "going over the highside" came from.

Moral of the story if you don't speed thru the corners there'll be no need to ride like a pro. I prefer to ride like the person whose enjoying his/her ride.
  7. hotroadking

Well I agree and disagree LOL

Knowing how to ride like a pro (he has a Deals gap video) helps
    you don't have to speed to screw up, many an inexperienced rider
    has overshot a corner, taken a wrong line, or gotten target fixation
    on a tree, car, whatever, because they lack training.

Knowing it and using it is key, along with not exceeding the limits
    of the bike or yourself, and having that knowledge might get you
    out of trouble if you overstep a bit in error...

as they say shidt happens.
  8. badinfluence63

I did watch the dragons tail video a while ago and agree that knowledge is power.

I was taught to take the inside of the corners and I think the video instructs to take the outside with the reasoning that you'll have more road to work with when you come out..unless I understood wrong.

Either way when winding thru some twisties I am on high alert and using every available tool and pearl of wisdom I have accrued over the years. A lot of deceleration on the throttle in the corners keeps the damage to a minimum so far. Looking where you want to go is invaluable too.
  9. hotroadking

Yep, I try and stay outside until i need to go in, late apex if you will,
    one of the problems with inside the curve lines is you exit to the outside
    leaving you with little room for error if you screw up you are in the dirt...

Counter steering helps with the tip in, and i'm not going to come in hot
    slow in, lean and power out...
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'm amazed at how well the Ultra Classic handles at a hi speed in the corners. But doing it all day does get tiring. Our chapter has a ride once a year for only the experienced riders. We usually head for some very twisty roads and you really have to pay attention all the time. It gets quit exciting at times. They were heading back to the Columbia Gorge to go home and lots of head winds so I left the group and headed down the Deschutes River canyon and then back over MT Hood. I did slow down on the way home and just enjoyed the ride and scenery.
  11. FLHTbiker

That is exactly how I do it. The power out also helps pull you through.

If you do go into a corner to hot push on the bars hard and if its to hot where your not gonna make it through then pull the bike up straight and brake hard but not locking up the wheels. If you can push hard again into the corner and hope you still have room. I prefer not to get that hot into a corner. What gets riders in trouble is they don't know the road and hit a corner hotter than they can negotiate.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  12. badinfluence63

Having recently (Tuesday) come out of a high speed twisty deal I def pushed the comfort zone on too many occasions that day. I have this innate sense of dread that starts coming on just before something bad happens. Whenever I felt that I deccelled off the throttle, stayed in the moment and focused. Like I mentioned the speed limit was 30-40mph this guy leading was 60-70MPG +. Had I even remotely attempted to stay up it with him it would have ended badly and he wouldn't have cared.

First and last time letting him lead. Probably last time riding with him.
  13. FLHTbiker

You did the right thing and guys like that usually ride by themselves or with others that ride like they do. I can ride fast and others can sometimes ride faster than me. But sometimes it's just nice to kick back to.
  14. badinfluence63

Since 2007 and when the last child was gone I have thus far successfully made it to Nova Scotia, Outer Banks, San Diego,Pigeon Forge, Key West, Marble Falls,AR and various other distant locations safely with that strategy.
  15. hotroadking

There are old riders
    and there are fast riders
    but there are no old fast riders....

Yeah your brain and body know when you are pushing your
    limits and being older and more experienced we know the
    end results, immortality is part of youth and inexperience.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

There are old riders
    and there are fast riders
    but there are no old fast riders....& that's the truth
    I was at the dealer the other day getting a part I ordered ,I did get a chance to look at the new ultra liquid cooled , The bag are better now the way they open like the cop bags have for years , bout time Hd got smart , bigger tour pack more room & moved back 3in I think that's what he said , the only thing I didn't like was the 6in screen right in the middle of the faring ,I have no doubt I will not spend the kind of money for MOTORCYCLE there asking heck I wont spend it on a new truck either
  17. hotroadking

Yeah the bag lever upgrade is great,
    and the rear seat is an inch wider and deeper
    they also moved the speaker out, I guess they
    determined the arse size in the rear on a bagger was
    in need of increasing...
  18. badinfluence63

+1
  19. badinfluence63

Yeah but did you notice the large amount of exposed wiring harness behind the passenger seat lying on top of the fender..how'd you like that? That bugged me. And then on the Limited water cooled among other new parts is a water pump........
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I always kick back . . . what's the hurry? I rode that way when I was a young man, too. But I sometimes like going faster (within the speed limit) on straightaways. So it takes longer to get somewhere. So what. I get there when I get there.