1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

4 Speed Transmission Drain Plug

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 79shovel, Jun 26, 2016.

1. 79shovel

79shovel Member

Got the shovel out this spring, not too long ago actually, and was performing the changing of the fluids. Got to the transmission and put a catch pan underneath popped the plug and drained what was left in her. (yeah I have the 4 speed leaky transmission blues, gotta write a song some time) When I put the plug back in and went to torque it she kept right on spinning, damn! Took it back out with what was left of the aluminum threads. You guys know this one? :facepalm:

So I grabbed the big old inspection mirror and my calipers to start looking at what needed to happen. Friggin hole in the transmission was a smooth as a babies bottom, OK, there was a slight trace of what might have once been a thread running up through there. I figured well I guess I'll have to try one of those stripped out oil plug piggy back deals.....NOPE....ain't happening. Slips right in and out of the hole. The plug that came out is already twice oversized..............Damn it again!

Well, what else?????? Hey I have a lot of brass fittings lets see what we can do.......Right or wrong this is how I repaired this one and she no longer leaks (HERE) .......... looking down into my upside down working reflector at the bottom of the transmission.

GEDC8159.JPG
    The plug on the left is WAY over sized....this is not a new issue to this bike. All of the "easy fixes" for this bike have long been used up too. Well now it's on...aside from getting crazy and pulling the transmission this old girl needs to be holding oil and allowing me to change it so I can ride it. So it's on and for giggles I checked out the fitment of a 3/8 NPT tap...........cause I have the tap and the brass to put in there.

GEDC8161.JPG
    So that's what I did, slowly and surely, carefully using WD-40 as my cutting fluid.........in went new threads. Then I used a couple of quarts of oil as repeated flush (filtered between flushes) until I saw no more chips in the pan.

GEDC8164.JPG
    End of day one................mechanically it seems very sound.

GEDC8171.JPG
    Day two, after cleaning out the threads on both with rag soaked in carburator cleaner I Redlocked the brass outer plug collar into the transmission and let it set up for a half hour then I seated my new plug, filled the transmission with fresh 50 until she flowed out the inspection plug hole, capped everything, warmed the beast and took a ride.

GEDC8182.JPG
    Fixed that problem.............now of course the transmission still leaks but that's another adventure entirely.

DISCLAIM: This is by no means professional advice just an example of what this old timer is doing to stay in the wind for now.................... It was a good ride today, early, before the good townsfolk were out in their cars and Sunday best.................wishing they were in the wind.
    Lucifer likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good job used brain power lol

You know fixing that plug that she's gonna spring a new leak elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    79shovel likes this.
  3. 79shovel

79shovel Member

It did...........out past 4th and main.................. hahahahahaha so I carry a quart of oil and a funnel for now.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ha-ha count on it. When I got my 4-speed from a vendor it had simular issues with the drain plug. The threads on mine were bunged up so bad somebody used what looked like JB Weld with a worn out plug. Anyway, I drilled for a steel insert and installed a new magnetic plug with a brass washer.
  5. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

That is so cool you gotta do what you gotta do.Glad you had a good ride Amen Jim
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Us shovel riders only need two things to keep on the road - a willingness to work on our own bikes and a tool kit somewhere on the bike, because you'll be wrenching on it fairly often LOL.
    Lucifer and 79shovel like this.
  7. 79shovel

79shovel Member

There's no doubt about that man....hahahaha. I have a rolling tool and part cart stashed in my bags. I have to tear this baby down and give her some loving inside. It's time..................sigh Might as well do motor and transmission both. It sure is fun as hell.