1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'77 custom shovel bobber for sale

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Buy, Sell, Trade or Wanted' started by joshbob, Jan 1, 2015.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well a tin roof with you picking on the front porch might just be
    the thing.
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

happy to hear that you're reconsidering selling. That roof estimate sounds a little spendy.
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

How may year shingles was that ? 30-40 Yr.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Estimate for a roofing company to do it was $6400 for a 2000 square foot roof.
    WOW I just had my roof done about 5 years ago 2200 SF ,& a flat roof on the front porch that they roof on & heat at the same time & cost was $5500 & a day in a half job , My roof has 4 high pitch's to it &close to flat on the front porch , Keep your sled & go look at metal or google the way they go on ,My brother & bro-in-law did his roof in 2 days & had no idea on what they where doing
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear your rethinking selling the bike. Being sick can really mess with the brain at times. Being in the Home Inspection business that roof repair was high. How many bids did you get?
    A tin roof to have someone put it on would be much less than the quote you recieved even for a 20 year comp roof. The average life expectancy of a comp roof is 20 years.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm now considering selling my Fatboy. A friend is losing his battle with cancer and selling his 08 Road King Classic. I'm probably going to help him and his wife and buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. FLHTbiker

Really sorry to hear about your friend. Just lost an old friend to Cancer, really sucks. You'll like the Road King and that's a nice way to honor a friend.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry about your friend
  9. Fatboy128

Thanks guys. He is a well respected surgeon here. Goes to show you get regular prostate screening. He didn't.

10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend, Fatboy. I don't get any kind of screenings. Haven't seen a doctor in over 20 years . . . with no insurance it's hard to go in and get all the testing done. Would cost a fortune.

Been looking at tin roofs, too. One way is to screw 2x2s right over the old shingles and then screwing the tin to the new braces. You get an air space in between. And the roof is a lot lighter and easier to handle. I have to go around a chimney, a stand pipe and a roof vent, but since we don't use the chimney, it might be better to take it off. It comes up through the ridge in the middle of the roof.
  11. cardboard

You talk to the people you buy the metal roof from. Ask them for flashing to go around the chimney. You calk behind and or the ride of the flashing where it goes on the chimney. And the flashing goes over the top of the metal roof area.

Talk to somebody that sells this stuff. And they will show you the lay out of the roof. This will make everything easy.

1st place is if you have a water valley. To put flashing down in the water valley 1st.

12. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend...That sux...Got a friend I use to work with and both he and his wife were recently diagnosed with cancer...His wife has breast cancer and will be OK but he has Acute Myeloid Leukemia and is not doing that well...Yup, go to the rear admiral every year...Had a small spike in my PSA last year but had another test in August and all is well...Sux getting older...
  13. cardboard

14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Those monotubes you just put in your Faboy might just work on the Road King, I installed them in my 08 SG, like the way they take the dive out of the front end.
  15. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

sorry to hear bout your friend, I like the Road kings, always thought if I ever can move up to a bagger that would be my choice bike.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  16. FLHTbiker

Cardboard is right with that video Josh. As an inspector I would inspect it to be sure that flashing was installed correctly and that's how it would look.

You might want to keep the chimney incase you sell the place and new buyers want a fireplace. Doing the flashing is not that hard just be sure your tuck points are done correctly and you won't have a leak.

Metal roof would be an excellent choice and much easier to install.
  17. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input, boys. I did some roofing when I broke into the trades as a teenager. Built up, shingle and slate. I'm leaning toward a metal roof.

I'm keeping my bike.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  18. Fatboy128

Great! This way you keep your youth and sanity !

19. FLHTbiker

That's some good news Josh
  20. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Great News...