1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

88 CI to 98 CI UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 21, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

well today as I had said was the day that I wanted to start to tear the FLTR down. well, I have. I am not sure that I would say that I go a lot done as I had I didn't read through the shop manual for every little thing so finding my way around the guts took me some time. (Sure is way different than my Sportster!! :roflmao::roflmao:)

Today I was able to get the bags, seat, tank and carb all off the bike. I had to make a trip to the automotive store for a tool which I figure will happen about 50 times during this endeavor.

Tomorrow's plan is to get the exhaust off, rocker covers off, cam cover removed, and intake removed.

I am taking my time. No rush just yet. :cool:
    Roadster guy likes this.
  2. JohnnyBiker

As soon as I have my morning coffee, I will be going to the garage and restarting for the day. As of yesterday I was uncertain if I was take the entire exhaust system off of leave the mufflers hanging from the supports. I have decided that I am going to just take the headers off and leave the mufflers hang. I am pretty stoked about getting started for the day. My camera needs to charge though. Hopefully I can get some pictures posted for you all. Have a great day.:D
  3. JohnnyBiker

Not a lot of progress on the Glide today, although I did manage to get the exhaust and cam cover taken off. I drained the oil today which was a real painstaking experience considering that I couldn't warm the bike up. Cold oil doesn't drain so fast.:witsend::roflmao:
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Just take your time & all will come apart easy
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's right. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drain the tranny oil as well & change the filter. That's what I did to mine . . .
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just prop up the front of the mufflers,
    otherwise you'll deform the rubber rear mounts
    and have to buy gnew ones...
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yesterday was another non productive day. Not because of the cold weather, but because the family wanted to get out of the house and go do something together. In a house full of females, I stood no chance and could only oblige. Today the weather is to be warmer and I am planning on getting out into the garage and continue. Not a heck of a lot to do, maybe 2-3 hours of solid get at and it should be done. I do have to make a trip to a dealer about an hour away from me to pick up my intake manifold wrench that I purchased last week. I guess I am kind of waiting for that to come in before I continue... NOT!!!!
  8. MSHax

MSHax New Member

FUNNY! I have 2 boys, we out number their mom. In one sense I'm lucky that I live in +95% motorcycle weather, but at the same time it messes up my projects. I grew up in Michigan, winter time was the time to do your upgrades/repairs/mods. I was never in a hurry because I knew it would be too cold to ride for several months anyway. In California I can ride just about any day so I tend to rush every thing. Take your time, get a heater, and stay greasy, girls don't want to drag you around to store when they know you're all greasy. :p
  9. JohnnyBiker

Today I got back out to the garage and I was able to get back to tearing down the Glide. I was able to use my SE Intake manifold wrench that I bought and it works good. I also got the rocker boxes off and I am ready to get it up on the jack so I can find TDC so I can get the assemblies apart and off the bike. I should be done with this stuff tomorrow or early Sat. This stuff is so easy. :D
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

where the pics ?LOL
  11. JohnnyBiker

The engine on the Glide is almost completely torn down. I have it down to the gear set now. I am having a little trouble getting the gear set off as I am not running heat in the garage at the moment considering that it is about 50* here. I went and bought a hand held butane torch. Tequilla was calling my name last night so I stopped short of completion but today it will get done as tomorrow I will be having fun with the HOG Chapter watching the Vikings vs. Packers at the dealership. Should be a good time. :D

Pictures will be in new thread once I am completely done...
  12. JohnnyBiker

MISSION COMPLETE!!!!!!!! I just finished tearing down the Road Glide and I must say that this was an easy task all in all. I took my time so I could inspect everything that I was taking apart and really watching how it all came apart. If I had to put a time stamp on it as to how long it actually took me to tear this down, I would probably say 3-3.5 hours. Not that bad for a rookie who's this is his first time breaking down a motorcycle engine. :cool:
  13. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for the advice. It worked!!!! :D
  14. JohnnyBiker

After a year of planning and purchasing parts, I have officially begun to start the execution of my build. The purpose of me posting this is to show how easy it is to take the bike apart and offer suggestions on what to do and what not to do. I am not expecting how I did this to be as everyone with more experience does it, but just to encourage people who may want to do attempt this sort of thing on their own how to go about it.

For this thread, I am going to state what it is that I decided to buy for this project and what it is that I spent so people can get an estimation of what a project like this will cost. NOTICE: Some of these parts that are listed are not parts that are absolutely needed in relationship to other parts. Some of them were purchased for more piece of mind than anything.

The List is as Follows.....

1.) Red Shift .557 cams $150 Used
    2.) SE Inner Cam Bearings $15 New
    3.) S&S Outer Cam Bearings (Cam Plate) $40 New
    4.) Baisley LMR 88 CI TC Oil Pressure Spring (to increase oil pressure) $15-not really need
    5.) Baisley Compression Releases $80 New
    6.) Campbell Enterprises (CP Carrillo)10.25:1 6cc dome Forged Pistons, Rings and Pins $250 New
    7.) Daytona Twin Tech Ignition $245 New
    8.) SE 44mm Intake Manifold (Includes new gaskets and flanges) $70 New
    9.) Complete Cometic Twin Cam Gasket Set $150 New
    10.) S&S Rocker Arm Support Shafts $30 New
    11.) SE Roller Rockers and Jims Rocker Arm Support Plates $300 Used
    12.) Tman +4 cam key $15 New

Left to purchase......
    1.) SE 44mm Carb
    2.) New 2-1 Exhaust system (Expected price of $1000) Not 100% sure if I am going to purchase new exhaust at this time, but am considering very hard.
    3.) SE Adjustable Push Rods $110 New

There are other small items that need to be purchased. The price of your build will vary but if you are frugal enough, you should be able to get your cost to around what the total is. About $1100.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB, I'm only replying so that I get notified when you add more to this thread, enjoy the build, dw
  16. JohnnyBiker

The place that I started with this project was to take the seat off my Road Glide. This was so simple that I am not going to even go through how to do it. Just took my seat screw out and there you go.

From there I proceeded to take my gas tank off. This was an easy job. After I found a way to drain the take before it came off. I did buy a MityVac but it did not take too long to figure out that it would take forever to drain nearly 5 gallons of gas using that. What I ended up doing was just siphon the gas out the tank the old fashioned way....through a siphon tube. Make sure when you are about to lift the tank off when it is empty that you tip the gas tank towards the back of the bike. Do this because there will be a little bit of gas left in the tank, gas will run out the the cross over tube and make a big mess. I know, I had to learn the hard way!!:roflmao:

Here is a couple of pictures with the Carb and exhaust taken off since I had True duals on It was a little more pain in the ass to take these off because the rear cylinder pipe rolls over the primary. I needed someone there to kind of twist the pipe so I could get the wrench on the exhaust nut.

TIP!!!! If you have front Floorboards, take the right side one off, it will be much easier to take the exhaust pipe off of the front cylinder. (More Room To Work!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Get the piston pins out ok ?
  18. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP New Member

Pictures or it didn't happen.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya need to rake the garage floor!
  20. JohnnyBiker

One thing that I think that is a must and I am sure that there others that will agree with is that it is really important to keep your parts and associated fasteners together and clearly marked. What I did was take some zip lock type bags, take masking tape and just simply write on the tape what the part is and and the place the part inside the zip lock along with the associated fasteners. I did this for each cylinder.

Here is a sample pic to give an idea of what to do. This is really important!!

[​IMG]