1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

88 CI to 98 CI UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Now that I'm sober:p I can see the AFRs a little better,I thought they were all 12's:rolleyes:
    Like BP said you don't tune for AFR's, and I ain't a tuner....Not knocking your build JB...I'm totally impressed how it turned out for ya:D
    RS 557 cam you used eh??
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

No no I am not mad, sorry if it came off that way. I was mistaken at what point stioch was so yes it could get a tad leaner but you read what BP had said. Sorry about that Lucifer.

Yes, these are Red Shift .557 cams that are being displayed. For my next project I am going to use my desk top dyno computer program that I have to make the decision on what cams that I use. There is a lot of information out there right at my finger tips. What a great tool to have. :cool:
  3. JohnnyBiker

Oh yes, I also forgot to mention that the I am making that power from a set of heads that backed up a whole 3 cfm and then held steady. :cool: Boat anchors eh?:roflmao: They seem to be working really well for me. :cool: I never brought them back to Derek, the charts that I posted is the final result of his work. :cool:
  4. JohnnyBiker

Hey BaggerPaul, if it works out, could we sometime later this week give you call and see if we can get that hard cranking thing taken care of? Maybe early Sat. morning?
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

yep i have been waiting on you and derec to finish up your bike.
  6. JohnnyBiker

No problem, the bike is done and I have been patient as I have other bikes to ride. Will be in touch soon. :D
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    You should have a lot of troublefree miles ahead of you, Johnny.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Bike runs great. Now all I need is for the weather to break and stop raining. I have now decided that I am going to be keeping my rain gear with me on the bike so when it starts to rain that I can keep going and not worry about it so much. Only thing that the bike needs now at the moment is a new front tire, however when it is warm out, the tire is fine. :D
  9. JohnnyBiker

Normally I wouldn't refresh an old thread like this but it is coming up on two years since the build has been completed. I thought I would just give an update to those that look at this thread as guests.

Everything with the build is doing really well, with one exception. Out of curiosity, last summer I did a compression test and a leak down test to see how the engines health is after nearly 20k after the build. The leak down test revealed that the valves are doing their job well. I had less than 5% leak down which is way within the acceptable range. However, when I did a compression test, I found that there is a 10 psi difference from the front cylinder and the rear cylinder. This will have to checked out and corrected.

As far as everything else goes, this engine is holding up very well and is making lots of power.

I did have it retuned and got more power out of it but at the expense of fuel economy so I put the original MAP back in. I like the original much more.
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Very good, Johnny. Hey, at least for the time being, gas has been cheaper, so fuel economy might not be too big of an issue. I get around 38 MPG on my antique using high octane and MMO. I expect your milage is much better than that.
  11. JohnnyBiker

It wasn't just the fuel mileage, I just didn't like the retune. Hard to explain why but I just didn't.

I get about 44mpg on a good day. I average about 42 mpg most of the time.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I did forget to mention that I am considering a cam change. I am considering going to the Red Shift .575 cams. I got a good deal on them thinking of a different build but decided on possibly trying them in the 98 ".