1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

88ci to the new 96ci

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by linda, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

hotroadking, Yeah I have done it a couple of times due to picking up wrecked bikes. On my 05 softy I had a set of s.e. performance heads, jugs pistons etc.. from a totalled bike and believe me there was not a lot of other good parts but paid 200 for the bike.Sold a rear wheel and one good bag for fifty each so basically paid 100.00 for the parts I got. Thought it was a decent deal at the time.
    BC
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

used pistons are good to use as long as you put them in the same holes they came out of & there's no deep scraches or groves just use new rings , I use the same pistons on my shovel for many years only bought one set of pistons for it & thats when I had it bord out
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HOTYBBB - Hold on to your Balls Big Bore :roflmao:
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Leave it Chuck to coin a new phrase, but I think we should just call those really big engines Double D's :p

To clarify what I was saying about reusing pistons, I don't think its really a bad thing when used along with jugs that are just being cleaned up and matched with new rings. However new pistons become a necessity when boring cylinders out for a big bore build. Also, while the bore size is identical between a stock 88" and new stock 96", pin placement is different because of the different stroke. Same goes for a BB build, same bore between a early style 95" BB (1550) and the new engines when big bored to 103".

I received several messages on this topic so here is the breakdown...

• Stock 99-06 TC88 and 07-up TC96 both use identical 3-5/8" cylinders, and these cylinders are interchangeable between both model versions.
    • The stock 3-5/8" cylinder when bored out to 3-7/8" will make a TC88 a 95" big bore, and a TC96 into a 103" big bore.
    • TC88/95 and TC96/103 pistons are not interchangeable.
    • Heads are said to be interchangeable between TC88 and TC96 but I have not personally confirmed this.

Hope that makes sense
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it makes sense in TEXAS!! thanks ken
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Like somebody else said, The 96cu is basically a 103 bottom end and a 88 top end with a 3/4 inch longer stroke.

The 06 model 88cu heads will fit the 07 96cu if you are buying them to do a build. There's something if I remember right about the valve differences.
    I just went threw all this a few months back on my 96-103 build on my 07 FXWG. The new 96 motor is like 3.850 pistons, if you have the jugs bored to 3.875 you use 95" pistons and you come out with the 103cu motor with the 96cu.
    Forgot the numbers but you can also do a 107 build without boring the cases. Its under 4" which makes it like 3.885 or something like that. You will need a bigger throttle body and different cams from what I remember.
  7. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

The bore on a TC 88 and a TC 96 cylinders are exactly the same...3.75
    To get 95 from the 88, and 103 from the 96, the bore is increased to 3.875.
    The difference from the 88 and the 96 displacement is the stroke. The 88 stroke is 4.00 inches, and the 96 is 4.38 inches.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

makes since to me thank's to all of you :D
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Dang that is what I was trying to say ! I just took too long to git there.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member