1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

9/11 Patriot Ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by SISK, Sep 20, 2004.

1. SISK

SISK New Member

Talk about great rides!!!

Just over a week ago on Sept. 11th, I was able to participate in a GREAT ride!!! Here in So. Cal. some folks (QuickThrottle Magazine, KFRG radio, Fender Guitars, local Harley dealers and others) have been putting together an annual ride called the “Patriot Ride”. This is the 3rd year for the ride, but the first time I participated.
    The ride started at a Fire Station in Rancho Cucamonga (just east of L.A. County) where there were two flatbed trailers – one had 16 tons of burnt, twisted steel girders from the WTC and the other had a heavily damaged fire truck that had helped in the WTC rescue effort.
    When the ride started, the local cops blocked the surface streets as the flatbed trailers led the parade to Interstate 15 where the Highway Patrol had shut down all southbound lanes! :D (Notice the CHP holding up traffic at the on ramp. The few cars there on the fwy are the press and other non-riding VIP types, otherwise it was just 1000's of bikes!!)
    What a sight to see - a major freeway such as I-15 shutdown as 2000 bikes rumbled down the road. Every overpass had fire trucks atop with the fire men standing and saluting the parade as we rode beneath. Many ladder trucks had flags proudly flying in the breeze.
    What an AWESOME sight. What a Patriotic and Proud feeling welled up inside as we motored down the freeway. Northbound traffic had slowed to a crawl as they were watching the parade. Many had just pulled off the side of the freeway to watch the grand sight. Horns were honking, lights flashing and people waving as we proudly rode on. :cool:
    It made me proud and thankful to be an American! And as I was pondering this awesome display of patriotism (while trying not to run up the tailpipe of the guys in front of me) I was reminded… that, while America has its share of problems, and “nut jobs” trying to spend my money and restrict my freedoms, I would rather live here in the USA than anywhere else, and these freedoms ARE worth fighting to keep. :mad:
    I was so happily surprised to see that they were actually able to close down the I-15 for the event. I would have thought that here in California there would be too much opposition to an event that was displaying the flag and showing such a display of patriotism (we don’t want to hurt the feelings of the anti-american / terrorist types right ?). But I was glad to see that someone with balls of steel was able to get it done!!! ;)

SISK

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    -- P.J. O'Rourke

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

So Cool!

This looks like a cool ride!! Unbelieveable that they were able to SHUT DOWN an interstate!! I would not have wanted to be on the commitee that did the leg work for that!!:eek: How much complaining was written/spoken by Cage drivers leading up to and right after the ride? or was it well supported by the entire area? I would like to ride in one or 2 of these types of rides....just to say I had!! :cool:
  3. CD

CD Guest

Incredible, simply incredible.

I am planning to make the run to the wall next year. Not sure when I will be leaving but if anyone out this way intends to go let me know.