1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A New Toy On The Way

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 27, 2014.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

The best way to prevent heavy snowfalls is to purchase a snow mobil.
  2. badinfluence63

3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

No.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
  4. badinfluence63

Last year I had the very same feelings that you do now. Living in a 4 mnths out of the year snow issue I went in search of a snow machine for something to do during this down time. I locked in on a 2007 or '08 Polaris 4 stroke electri start touring rig. I mean it was sweet and the price was perfect. Compared to the 2 stroke, the 4 stroke is the way to go in my limited opinion. As I always do after the research, the search and find and finances lined up I gave it one more hard look before pulling the trigger. I mean who needs a 3000$ toy sitting around...waste of money right. I ended up not pulling the trigger and its not a decision I am totally comfortable or uncomfortable with.

My reasons were how much time will I end up using it? This has been an unusual winter with lots of snow and cold. For the last decade and longer, snow in the winter had been fairly scarce comparitively speaking. People were not getting much use out of their rigs unless they drove upstate Maine. 2ndly its one thing getting stranded on a bike at least your on a road of some type. On a snow machine you could physically be stranded beyond cell towers and any humanity for miles in the middle of where the f*ck am I. A real fight for survival situation. And while I live in the country, have 12 acres in the middle of 1000 acres spending 3000$ just to toodle around locally didn't seem right. I do regret not picking up this little 120 cc 2 stroke skidoo for kids for my grand kids.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. JohnnyBiker

I guess for me it would be treated similar to a bike. I will use it for reasons to get out and just have fun. Man and machine.

I don't disagree with your reasoning not to get one, however our winter seasons are distinctly different. I have used the same logic for a long time now and it has just come to the time that I just do it.

Like bikes, I prefer performance over extreme comfort. That is why I chose a sled like the one I posted. Ahh. And yes, my oldest daughter would like to get into snowmobiles.

6. badinfluence63

Minnesota...I heard about your winters....yeah you'll probably get alot more use out of yours. And like us here in NE you probably got trails going all the way to Canada too.

Back when the winters were more consistant and heavy you'd have snowmobilers all over town who'd come out of the woods for a beer and a sandwich as wooded trails would also lead to town access.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Ahh yes I remember the same things in my younger days. We still get that but not as much. Now most sleds are at eateries and bars that are located next to major highways. I am talking about that you would see close to 100 of them at any given time. My favorite place happened to close. Man we used to ride rivers and cross many lakes, easy we would put 200 miles on in a day.

8. JohnnyBiker

I do think that I found two sleds that I am going ti attempt to pick up. 1 for my oldest daughter and one for Hot Rider. Mine will be purchased early next season.

9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

This would be nice.............................
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd hope that he gets something every time she spends money on stuff....
  11. badinfluence63

Good timing...winter is near about over and Spring is starting to sneak in!!! Hallelujah! Hallelujah,lol
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Not quite. Winter in Minnesota is over in July !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  13. badinfluence63

Damn...I would embrace the snowmobile community like a 2nd family,lol.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Not really here. Winter is hanging on tightly. I found a really good deal on two of them so it will be hard to turn it down. The wife and oldest can have some fun. :)

15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Winter is hanging on here, too. Might snow today.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Supposed to be blizzard conditions with the possibility of more snow too. Then more on Sunday.

17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Don't know how all you guys survive in the frozen north country. Bad enough when it rains at times here. Even our winter has been colder than normal but nothing like what you guys in the frozen north experience. To me this also means less time for riding. I can understand a snowmobile, a snow blower or other tools of that nature. Guys here have snowmobiles but they trailer them to the snow country then come home to dry land. Going to be 55 here today and be dry for a few days.
  18. hotroadking

Some cold is good, don't mind lower temps but
    this winter has been brutal on our yankee brethren

YOu guys need to get out and come to Daytona in two weeks
    nekkid wimmin, cold beer, nice warm weather, plenty of open unsalted
    roads, cigars, good food, beach...

Oh and no snowblowers allowed...
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know for me I caught a horrid cold just in time for the Road Captain trials and qualifications. Went on Saturday and weather was dry but I was miserable. Sat. night was really rough, couldn't sleep and coughed all night long. So, for Sunday I didn't show up and this week was miserable. I've even lost my voice from all the coughing. Feeling better now but my voice has not fully recovered. I know HRK you'll say its good for the wife except she keeps saying what you trying to say.
    Yea, this winter has been nasty in many ways.
    Wouldn't mind some of that Florida warm dry weather bout now.
  20. hotroadking

Well it's not dry for now, we've had tons of rain from Sunday on, Yesterday was nice, sunny 80's but it's back to cold fronts and rain today.